Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

papa pimp

All Star
Daps

mmaaannn this wfh ish bout to be dead lol

nah if you dead set on FAANG then yeah but if you thorough in your job hunt and have the skillset then you will get WFH if you want.

L&HH

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
PG x MD
AI can't even get self driving cars right :unimpressed:

I think some of y'all getting a bit carried away by generative AI being able to make code and write essays; but unless your tech job is just base drudgery and turning the wheel, AI will be an additional tool in the kit, not something that will replace your job. We're decades away from AI that's able to train itself, learn new skills without human prompts, and dispose of human oversight.
I already know not take anyone serious if they’re drinking the AI doomsday Kool-Aid. All this chatgpt stuff, they’re just language models. Ultimately right now they’re just really good at predicting text. They’re great at helping you write content and that’s where it stops. I asked it to write some powershell scripts and it was just making up cmdlets. It’s just another tool. A great tool but still has a long way before it’s replacing jobs.

Last edited:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Netflix ranges often look like that, or at least they did the last time I looked through the listings. That's slightly sensationalist.
Yeah, I was just looking at the $900k DS job :pachaha:

Not uncommon pay, especially in this industry but nonetheless those DS salaries are starting to fly.

I don't think it's hyperbole to say that field is about to absolutely skyrocket over the next decade or two.

Definitely have been getting contacted more recently.

Tech unlike so many fields is where you can basically jump start a company/position out of nowhere. No hardware or physical products needed by any person starting a business. It can literally be pure software basically out of thin air.

Most companies want more features, not less. So when a company wants to add a new feature to their ecosystem or product, that creates the need for a team to maintain the previous codebase and a team to build the new feature. It's a system that basically creates more work.

This shyt was always going to bounce back like it has so many times already.

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

2k jobs applied to and only a couple interviews :picard:
picard.png

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

2k jobs applied to and only a couple interviews :picard:
picard.png

For UX Design? Oh yeah. Too much supply and mid demand. Especially for junior roles. Only senior designers are eating

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
That's acceptable loss to them, all a calculated part of the plan. Yeah you're gonna lose a few heavy hitters, but you're also gonna shed a bunch of nobodies along the way :manny: . It's the perfect stealth layoff that could only happen because people moved during the pandemic. Fortunately, once this card is played it's gone from the game.