Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

chineebai

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where is it one year? It's normally 4 years! That's how it is at the start up I'm at now. I doubt imma see 4 years.

And it's still not guaranteed to pop. Most these start-up CEOs want to be bought out as going public is less than 3% of companies.
Yeah typically a 4 year vesting schedule with 25% each year.

The days of startups seem to be over, no more easy credit.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Where is it one year? It's normally 4 years! That's how it is at the start up I'm at now. I doubt imma see 4 years.

And it's still not guaranteed to pop. Most these start-up CEOs want to be bought out as going public is less than 3% of companies.
In staffing the startups we work for it’s 1 year to attract higher level talent.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Good article.

The reality of Big Tech's 'fake work' problem​

Inside the perverse system of 'lazy management' that's wrecking the tech industry

HOMEPAGE

When Graham was hired by Amazon, it sounded like his dream job. He was brought on as a research scientist to help develop features for Alexa, the company's ubiquitous voice assistant. Graham, whose name has been changed to protect his identity, assumed he would soon be using his expertise in machine learning to work on cool, new features that would make Alexa more personal to every user. But within four months of his start at the company, it became clear that Amazon had no idea what to do with him.

He spent the next two years bouncing around — switching teams, watching project leaders get promoted despite, he said, producing nothing of substance, and generally spinning his wheels. Graham was paid more than $300,000 a year but had little work to show for it. Feeling adrift with nothing to do, he gradually disengaged from his job and was eventually put on Amazon's formal performance-management plan.

Facing the threat of firing, Graham was finally put on a project to use machine learning to improve Amazon's music recommendations, which he described as "the first really interesting thing I worked on." He was happy to feel like a valuable member of the team, but Graham's manager told him something stunning: The finished project, which Graham worked on for more than a month, wouldn't see the light of day. It was simply an exercise to satisfy the terms of his performance plan and string out his employment, he was told. Graham left Amazon soon after.

RAX 010

NYG LWO METS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
This is bad timing for me because the VA has a program where is vets can get trained in software development and all sorts of IT jobs and I was planning on going all in this September...I suppose that these skills will still be valuable when the economy bounces back right?

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
This is bad timing for me because the VA has a program where is vets can get trained in software development and all sorts of IT jobs and I was planning on going all in this September...I suppose that these skills will still be valuable when the economy bounces back right?
It's only bad timing if you were trying to get into a big tech company like a Microsoft or AWS. There are tons of tech jobs available in many industries. Get on your grind

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps

If you are plugged in with government you should seek a gov job.

RAX 010

NYG LWO METS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
EAST✈WEST
@Serious I still can get plugged in I'ma vet I've been staying outta trouble for a while ...
Aye what's the most lucrative tech job that don't require the most learning of coding etc?

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Good article.

The reality of Big Tech's 'fake work' problem​

Inside the perverse system of 'lazy management' that's wrecking the tech industry

HOMEPAGE

When Graham was hired by Amazon, it sounded like his dream job. He was brought on as a research scientist to help develop features for Alexa, the company's ubiquitous voice assistant. Graham, whose name has been changed to protect his identity, assumed he would soon be using his expertise in machine learning to work on cool, new features that would make Alexa more personal to every user. But within four months of his start at the company, it became clear that Amazon had no idea what to do with him.

This is real talk.

A lot of these companies are bloated with fake workers doing fake ass work. You see folks with titles as product and project managers and you’re like WTF is this — along with them spending chunks of the day in meetings for the sake of meeting.

How many of these motherfùckas do they truly need?

This shyt is a scam and a way for folks in a specific pipeline of education/schools to keep these jobs within a certain cluster of folks :mjpls:

You get to a point at the corporate level when you realize like 10% of the folks actually know their shyt while another 15% are really grinding and making the work that keeps the company afloat. There’s layers on management that’s seemingly pointless and it makes you wonder + realize that the so-called demographic making up the middle class ($100k + earners) get put in these mindless jobs just to hold it down for the next crew years later.

And the nature of these jobs getting filled is intentional. It’s not like brehs are magically getting these positions. Plus, this madness starts well before the workplace as we’ve see with this Supreme Court affirmative action nonsense. Certain groups want to make sure they are getting in the “right” schools — by any means — so they get the right jobs. And playing unfair is part of the rules.

You couldn’t get away with this on such a widespread scale in manufacturing way back when in this country. I could only imagine someone getting called out at a steel mill or auto factor for being bítchmade and not doing their share of the labor.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Honestly, take it seriously, put it a lot of effort and the big rewards are to be had.

If you give the field the respect it deserves and improve your skills then the economy doesn't matter.

Companies will hire good software engineers and pay them heavy no matter what the economy looks like.

Yes, there have been lay-offs recently but there have also been plenty of hires.