Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I’ve been eating off jobs with Series A, B and C startups for the last 8+ years now.

People run scared cause Meta and Google have layoffs, tech industry is a huge ecosystem with a lot of companies offering really good pay in exciting spaces.
That and the lotto tickets they hand out for equity with each employee they hire. IF the company hits big you can basically retire since the vesting period is typically only a few months to 1 year.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Maybe you didn’t expect her to make that much based off her appearance? But those are super normal income numbers for somebody who has been in enterprise tech sales
We have a sales rep that has all of Canada and she’s pulling down $500k after taxes. Her apt is fkn ridic in the heart of downtown Toronto.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
That and the lotto tickets they hand out for equity with each employee they hire. IF the company hits big you can basically retire since the vesting period is typically only a few months to 1 year.

Lotto ticket is the perfect word for it. Many options end up worthless or barely break even, I don’t even include my equity when I calculate my total income.

That being said, you can definitely hit big. I haven’t had any 6-7 figure exits yet, but I have two 5 figure exits in my past and both of those were from small equity grants on acquisitions under 1 Bn

lib123

All Star
Daps
Maybe you didn’t expect her to make that much based off her appearance? But those are super normal income numbers for somebody who has been in enterprise tech sales
Understood but she seems very young. The same phenomenon occurred during the dot com bubble and mortgage boom.

lib123

All Star
Daps
That's not a phenomenon. that's just sales
Understood but there are periods when younger, less experienced sales people do better than usual. I witnessed the dot-com bubble thru my parents working in tech and saw that phenomenon.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

So dang true:

Everyone thinks they’re hiring the top 1%.
Now, when you get those 200 resumes, and hire the best person from the top 200, does that mean you’re hiring the top 0.5%?

“Maybe.”

No. You’re not. Think about what happens to the other 199 that you didn’t hire.

They go look for another job.

That means, in this horribly simplified universe, that the entire world could consist of 1,000,000 programmers, of whom the worst 199 keep applying for every job and never getting them, but the best 999,801 always get jobs as soon as they apply for one. So every time a job is listed the 199 losers apply, as usual, and one guy from the pool of 999,801 applies, and he gets the job, of course, because he’s the best, and now, in this contrived example, every employer thinks they’re getting the top 0.5% when they’re actually getting the top 99.9801%.

The top 0.5% usually have jobs. They have jobs where they do very well, so their employers pay them lots of money and do whatever it takes to keep them happy. (I know. Oversimplification. Lots of employers try to drive out the good software developers because they complain a lot and demand high salaries. Still.)

Those 200 resumes you got from Craigslist? Those consist of the one guy who happened to be good, but he’s only applying for a job because his wife wants to be nearer to her family, and the usual floating population of 199 people who apply for every single job and are qualified for none. And now you think you’re being “super selective” but you’re not, it’s just a statistical fallacy.

I’m exaggerating a lot, but the point is, when you select 1 out of 200 applicants, the other 199 don’t give up and go into plumbing (although I wish they would… plumbers are impossible to find). They apply again somewhere else, and contribute to some other employer’s self-delusions about how selective they are.

In fact, one thing I have noticed is that the people who I consider to be good software developers barely ever apply for jobs at all.
That why people say that 90% of the people they get resumes from are unhirable.

If you take the necessary care of your craft you can easily beat these people out.

Last edited:

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Understood but there are periods when younger, less experienced sales people do better than usual. I witnessed the dot-com bubble thru my parents working in tech and saw that phenomenon.

It’s not a phenomenon. People in their late 20s / early 30s have the ability to make a lotta money.

If the woman looked like she was 22 I’d see what you were saying, but she pretty clearly has at least 5+ years experience. She looks young cause she looks like us, and we feel young, but we old now fam :francis:

• Dap
Reactions: tgu

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
This is giving early 2000s dot-com bubble and mid-2000s mortgage broker vibes.

11-E9-DBF0-35-DD-43-A4-B947-585-C512-E45-E6.gif

morris

Superstar
Daps
Where is it one year? It's normally 4 years! That's how it is at the start up I'm at now. I doubt imma see 4 years.

And it's still not guaranteed to pop. Most these start-up CEOs want to be bought out as going public is less than 3% of companies.