Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
These people need to stfu about being paid to do nothing. :beli:

The name of the game is to work efficient. So of course there's going be some down time thus the point of automation.
Nah. In that specific video you posted, there are some valuable pieces of information. Dude said it seems like they hired him almost for the purpose of being trophy and told him not to do anything. Essentially they knew they were going to eventually lay him off. His hire and others like him was done specifically to justify the influx of cash the companies got back in 2021.

It comes down to this - When you get an attractive offer from a company, you have to consider a few things. Do you hate your current job enough to justify the move? Of course if you didn’t have a job at the time, then the decision is easy. Also, how reliable is the company? Is it a startup? Or is it seasoned ? What is it specifically you’re being hired to do? How did the position open up? Did the previous person leave? Is this a new role?

Questions like the aforementioned will help you gauge the level of risk you’re about to undertake.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. In that specific video you posted, there are some valuable pieces of information. Dude said it seems like they hired him almost for the purpose of being trophy and told him not to do anything. Essentially they knew they were going to eventually lay him off. His hire and others like him was done specifically to justify the influx of cash the companies got back in 2021.

It comes down to this - When you get an attractive offer from a company, you have to consider a few things. Do you hate your current job enough to justify the move? Of course if you didn’t have a job at the time, then the decision is easy. Also, how reliable is the company? Is it a startup? Or is it seasoned ? What is it specifically you’re being hired to do? How did the position open up? Did the previous person leave? Is this a new role?

Questions like the aforementioned will help you gauge the level of risk you’re about to undertake.
Yep. Companies do this all the time and not just tech companies. The companies have no problem playing with someone's career like it's a video game. I've seen people hired just to be the fall guy for a failing project. Then laid off immediately when management wanted a fall guy.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits

You’re right, idk I mentioned this here but when I was watching this PBS Frontline documentary they essentially said, during a down turn the FED normally helps load large companies up with cash, with expectation that they’ll hire a bunch of people.

Because in the past more people = more innovation and risk taking, via R&D.

Share buybacks were seen as “disgraceful” or not doing enough.

Now firing people and share buy backs are back in style.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Sometimes people are hired just to meet quotas. For example if a company's tech dept is staffed with 80% foreigners, especially when they get into management, and they have a requirement to have some Americans on staff, they will hire a few Americans to meet those quotas and have them not doing much while the work is done by them.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Look at the WARN act in your state and find your company name. It will at least give you an indication
A. Your company is in fact about to go through layoff
B. How many people are getting axed

The word is already out that it’s happening at my company. Earlier today one of the folks in upper management scheduled a meeting with me later this week…it MAY just be a regular quarterly check-up but I got a bad feeling. It’s rare that I’m face to face with this manager so I’m expecting the worst

Spence

Superstar
Daps
The word is already out that it’s happening at my company. Earlier today one of the folks in upper management scheduled a meeting with me later this week…it MAY just be a regular quarterly check-up but I got a bad feeling. It’s rare that I’m face to face with this manager so I’m expecting the worst
Dm me your resume let me see what I have for you.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Recently came back from a multi week vaca in Europe. During the trip I kept thinking what if I'm lined up to be laid off or something drastic changes with my team :lupe:
Came back to mad "welcome back, so glad you're back" slacks. I responded so joe to alot of them on some "glad to be back sir, ready to get back to work immediately :troll:" tip . I think I'm going to chill on vacations until like August/Sept. I'm noticing other people not taking vacations like that and when I was about to leave I could tell ppl were like "you're going where? :jbhmm:" when they asked me about my plans.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Dm me your resume let me see what I have for you.

I appreciate you looking out breh but if I do end up getting axed I'm going to need some time to figure out what I even want to do next. The more I think about it though I'm probably going to be fine, this was a meeting that was supposed to have happened already but it kept getting kicked down the road. It's the timing of it that's making me suspicious

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Regarding vapor ware, you can even go one step further. How much software out there is nothing more than glorified spreadsheets? Seriously.

A large chunk of software can be summarized as nice pixels and CRUD operations. That's about 80% of software apps really.

Plenty of enterprise software exists because so many people don't know how to use Excel.

Funniest shyt is that many times a feature request for these enterprise programs/apps is "Can you add the feature to export this report to .csv?" :heh:

Like you went through all this trouble, uploading all the data from your .csv files to our database to get a subset of the same .csv's anyways - something that could have been done in Excel and saved millions of API calls.

Bruh it’s fukkin ridiculous and fukk Okta. Our company has so much fukkin glut it’s unreal, we got salesforce, klari, airtable, and workday, but our Director still does forecasting in google sheets.

This is a 500 company :snoop: I don’t know how it is for you other tech brehs but from I’ve seen in tech so far is that operational excellence is nonexistent.