Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Man i called this out years ago. The whole start up scene was bullshyt down to pitch contest with so called experts who sold some bullshyt start up for Ms. You had a circut of folks with no product just going to a buncha of pitches presenting prototypes and collecting them checks from the pitch contest especially if it was some diversity focused shyt around women in tech

The key was get X Amount of users create fake numbers of positive feedback and growth projections then sell to some clueless entity under the guise they will be able to monetize said user base.

Everyone was getting in on the hustle and suddenly every goofy was a start up founder
Basically the first season of hit HBO show Silicon Valley :mjlol:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Regarding vapor ware, you can even go one step further. How much software out there is nothing more than glorified spreadsheets? Seriously.

A large chunk of software can be summarized as nice pixels and CRUD operations. That's about 80% of software apps really.

Plenty of enterprise software exists because so many people don't know how to use Excel.

Funniest shyt is that many times a feature request for these enterprise programs/apps is "Can you add the feature to export this report to .csv?" :heh:

Like you went through all this trouble, uploading all the data from your .csv files to our database to get a subset of the same .csv's anyways - something that could have been done in Excel and saved millions of API calls.

Last edited:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Regarding vapor ware, you can even go one step further. I said it earlier in this thread:

How much software out there is nothing more than glorified spreadsheets? Seriously.

So much of enterprise software exists where companies make software for other companies because so many people don't know how to use Excel.

Funniest shyt is many times a feature request is "Can you add the feature to export this to .csv?" :heh:

Like we went through all this trouble, uploading all the data from your .csv files to our database to get a subset of the same .csv's anyways.
Could have done this in Excel and saved millions of API calls.
I don't get out supposedly smart Executives don't realize how much money they're pissing away on technology vendors. They'll reduce employee headcount before giving up on their latest technology boondoggle.
:francis:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I don't get out supposedly smart Executives don't realize how much money they're pissing away on technology vendors. They'll reduce employee headcount before giving up on their latest technology boondoggle.
:francis:

It's true. It's actually a concept in software as well: managing complexity in codebases is the worst and is costly for the whole team.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

How much software out there is nothing more than glorified spreadsheets? Seriously.

Nice pixels and CRUD operations.

So much of enterprise software exists where companies make software for other companies because so many people don't know how to use Excel.

Funniest shyt is many times a feature request is "Can you add the feature to export this report to .csv?" :heh:

Like we went through all this trouble, uploading all the data from your .csv files to our database to get a subset of the same .csv's anyways.
Could have done this in Excel and saved millions of API calls.

Just watch ChatGPT as a CoPilot in something like Power Apps pretty much make it where folks can create these mini apps for their business groups just from prompts

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Man i called this out years ago. The whole start up scene was bullshyt down to pitch contest with so called experts who sold some bullshyt start up for Ms. You had a circut of folks with no product just going to a buncha of pitches presenting prototypes and collecting them checks from the pitch contest especially if it was some diversity focused shyt around women in tech

The key was get X Amount of users create fake numbers of positive feedback and growth projections then sell to some clueless entity under the guise they will be able to monetize said user base.

Everyone was getting in on the hustle and suddenly every goofy was a start up founder
The fact that I know a chick, dumb as rocks that got a check for an ethnic e-commerce site.

Went from driving Lyft / Uber to a start up founder :dead:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Regarding vapor ware, you can even go one step further. How much software out there is nothing more than glorified spreadsheets? Seriously.

A large chunk of software can be summarized as nice pixels and CRUD operations.

Plenty of enterprise software exists because so many people don't know how to use Excel.

Funniest shyt is that many times a feature request for these enterprise programs/apps is "Can you add the feature to export this report to .csv?" :heh:

Like you went through all this trouble, uploading all the data from your .csv files to our database to get a subset of the same .csv's anyways - something that could have been done in Excel and saved millions of API calls.

We’re literally spending a million a year, on contract with a vendor at my company .

Thanks to some recent acquisitions in talent,that will be going away :whistle:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
First time I’ve seen a post by a stack exchange member get so many dislike:

all I know is thank gawd for stackoverflow

I’d be nothing without all the generous people who post solutions and give me insight regarding a problem.

It’s a treasure trove of knowledge :hubie: