Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Time zone, culture, language barriers. It's not as easy to outsource critical roles as some might think
The language barrier can be a major issue. I interact with devs every day. Some of these cats seriously need to take English lessons.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
People going to learn when companies cut its not because there are running out of money most of the time. It's just making sure shareholders profit doesn't dip.
This is it. Try to work for the government or an employer that isn’t running the company to appease shareholders at all costs. Every quarter is a toss up.

Employers are taking liberties. They will always cut more than Thry need to. Meta is pathetic. Utterly pathetic. Zuckerberg needs to step the fukk down. None of these tech leaders take accountability. Useless cucks.

I hope more workers start putting themselves first. There will be a time when employers are back to begging for workers. Make sure you pay attention to what they were doing during these times and pick accordingly.

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Recently got a job as a business analyst, and this trend got me a bit scared. I feel this role is going to become redundant very soon.

Don't listen to the fearmongers. You'd think the entire tech force will have to learn trucking listening to them :mjlol:

As a business analyst you shouldn't stand still. You can move up into product management or make a lateral move to data analyst...

But business analysts are currently indispensable. I've worked with bad ones... I know :heh:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Don't listen to the fearmongers. You'd think the entire tech force will have to learn trucking listening to them :mjlol:

As a business analyst you shouldn't stand still. You can move up into product management or make a lateral move to data analyst...

But business analysts are currently indispensable. I've worked with bad ones... I know :heh:

BA can go into any industry. The skills are transferable. Would not worry.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I think companies looking to get bought out do acquisitions too. My old company bought an advertising company out of Atlanta, kept rolling out half baked new features all seemingly to seem more attractive to investors and they eventually got bought by constant contact. I could just feel they were fishing for a buyout the whole time I was there l. Got out right before.
This is basically the goal of most companies have once they get to a certain point and start stalemating.

The main goal is make a great product that blows tf up.
If that don't pan out the next best thing is getting bought out and cashing the check.

That's why so many products wack af.

The first reply (that was deleted) mentioned something similar about companies making new features only with the intent of being bought. It's simply a checkmark so they can get bought, even if the feature makes the app worse. The replies to that reply (you can still see them) pretty much sums it up: they know investors love shiny objects (new features) and not necessarily if it all comes together or makes sense for the product.

Last edited:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
This is basically the goal of most companies have once they get to a certain point and start stalemating.

The main goal is make a great product that blows tf up.
If that don't pan out the next best thing is getting bought out and cashing the check.

That's why so many products wack af.

Especially startups. Their main goal is to make vapor ware that seems to be validated at millions and then walk once they’ve hit a peak for the next idea.

I really don’t see how VC firms survive by doing this over and over, but it’s above my head on how they keep buying up every god damn thing.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps

Thank for the words. Yeah, I went back to school for a career change and graduated last year. The job market is pretty rough here for getting foot in door, but def going to make sure I get certificates and whatnot, so I can move around in case things change.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Especially startups. Their main goal is to make vapor ware that seems to be validated at millions and then walk once they’ve hit a peak for the next idea.

I really don’t see how VC firms survive by doing this over and over, but it’s above my head on how they keep buying up every god damn thing.
Man i called this out years ago. The whole start up scene was bullshyt down to pitch contest with so called experts who sold some bullshyt start up for Ms. You had a circut of folks with no product just going to a buncha of pitches presenting prototypes and collecting them checks from the pitch contest especially if it was some diversity focused shyt around women in tech

The key was get X Amount of users create fake numbers of positive feedback and growth projections then sell to some clueless entity under the guise they will be able to monetize said user base.

Everyone was getting in on the hustle and suddenly every goofy was a start up founder

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Yup. People think it's all about providing great products to the public. However, products don't buy things, money does. Many of these CEO's care mainly about money, not products. They'll sell whatever they want if it nets them a few million dollars. The product may be completely bogus but the money ain't and that's all that matters to them.

That's one reason why I tell folks that they need to interview the company as much as the company is interviewing them - understand exactly what the company is trying to do and where exactly the company is in their lifecycle. That not only goes for people interviewing but people working at the company.
If you haven't thought about it, think whether or not your company is really legit like that: can they really maintain what they got over the longterm or are they looking to get bought? Who and what are their competition?

Ideally find a stable company that will last the next 2-5 years allowing you to gain experience for the resume and earn money. If you work at a company about to be bought, then there's a chance that when they're acquired the buyer doesn't the keep employees, nor product and bought the company to take their customers and get rid of competition. CEO cashes out and it's the next CEO's problem.

Not many talk about this in tech, but this is how the field works. A lot of these new A.I products are simply trying to get bought by Microsoft or Google for example by taking advantage of the current A.I war.

Last edited:

Conan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Thank for the words. Yeah, I went back to school for a career change and graduated last year. The job market is pretty rough here for getting foot in door, but def going to make sure I get certificates and whatnot, so I can move around in case things change.

Do you work from home?

If so, just get another BA job. Get extra cash, alleviates the concern of losing your current job if you have a backup

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Do you work from home?

If so, just get another BA job. Get extra cash, alleviates the concern of losing your current job if you have a backup
Yeah, was able to land a WFH gig. Just using experience to learn, but also going to make sure I fine tune skills and work towards certificates. I think I am safe for now since recently hired, but def going to make sure I'm prepared for stuff that could happen in the near future

Lamin

Rookie
Daps
UPDATE:

My job laid off its entire Tech Dept a few months ago and its been a disaster. Its gotten worse since i first posted in this thread.The basics dont work, equipment dont work, printers dont print (not connected to the network type shyt), stuff that a person with a A+ cert could do. You still gotta call India to listen to Perdeep talk down to you in his broken ass English. All to save a few bucks
:damn: I'm studying on getting my A+!!