Taraji P Henson Wants To Put The Focus Back On The Color Purple Following Her Comments About Unequal Pay

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I remember the 1st day droves of Black women at the show going to see this.
I think you'd have to look at the movie going demographic. This is not a movie geared to all audiences. It's not something everyone would want to see and I'm not talking about white people either. Gotta know your audience and how many people there are in it.

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I think you'd have to look at the movie going demographic. This is not a movie geared to all audiences. It's not something everyone would want to see and I'm not talking about white people either. Gotta know your audience and how many people there are in it.
Gotcha. I just that Medea type crowd would be the same as this.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hollywood accounting. Same thing with the first Black Panther. Supposed budget of $200 million, but half the CGI scenes were rushed products. They combined and split the budgets of like five marvel movies together with the bulk of that money going towards Infinity War, then spread it on paper for tax reasons. They probably have three other movies they made with the budget for the Color Purple, but rolled it together to get the diversity and inclusion tax breaks with the other films too.

I think they be doing sh*t like this. Because I know as a consumer that $100 million is too much to spend to make The Color Purple. This movie should have had a budget of $20 to $25 million max. So if I know that, why don't they? If the big name actors didn't wanna accept the pay, then get Fantasia and a bunch of new actors and older working actors to do it. So yea....they're not dumb. They're doing something behind the scenes.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tbh, this is a flick that shouldn't have cost more than 20 million tbh.

For one, period flicks should never have budgets like a blockbuster, deadass.

Two, a musical? About a bleak story ala the Color Purple?

Might as well do a musical of Mississippi Burning, totally tone deaf.

The last big musical was what? Lala Land? Which was Hollywood sucking itself off.

This was something anyone off the street could've told them to budget slash down to a minimum, yet a room full of creatives couldn't figure out?

Exactly

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Tbh, this is a flick that shouldn't have cost more than 20 million tbh.

For one, period flicks should never have budgets like a blockbuster, deadass.

Two, a musical? About a bleak story ala the Color Purple?

Might as well do a musical of Mississippi Burning, totally tone deaf.

The last big musical was what? Lala Land? Which was Hollywood sucking itself off.

This was something anyone off the street could've told them to budget slash down to a minimum, yet a room full of creatives couldn't figure out?
Lowkey, money laundering

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
Oh, right! I was saying she was expecting the outcome Monique had- the nom and the win. She didn’t even get nominated. So that likely has something to do with why she’s mad
I think she likely took less money to do this movie because of the prestige that comes along with it. It's not just Oprah produced but Steven Spielberg produced as well. That happens all the time. Actors take less because they think the material is worth the pay cut. Maybe when ppl started discussing the movie and not really acknowledging her work on it she got emotional and spilled the beans.
U saying Taraji was getting jealous??? :jbhmm: :jbhmm:

I don't know. I just know that there's no way you air that stuff and think that the convo around the movie isn't gonna change. Ppl who were on the fence likely opted out in support of Taraji. Ppl who didn't like Oprah jumped on it as further proof of her being horrible. Drama doesn't help Black movies in the way it can white ones. That's just facts.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
what do mean might? She was supposed to be promoting the film she embrassed Oprah to the point she had to respond to a tik toker, Used to promote her personal issues made the whole production team look cheap even low key dissed the broadway play that the movie was directly based on.

She's beyond done.

One reason Viv pushed back against her is that Viv understands that she's 59 years old and Tubi movies and bad parody films is all that's left ffor her.

That's where Taraji is gonna be in 5 years but even they don't need to hire her when they could easily get someone like the ladies that played Aunt Viv on the Fresh Prince at least they know how to keep their mouths shut.
Honestly I surprised more people don’t take the Nicholas cage route with movies, he don’t be in no big stupid budget ass movies anymore but he still actually do good movies, ain’t nothing wrong with doing them movies, if it’s good enough for dudes like him ,fishburn, etc than it should be good for taraji
What happened to doing shyt for the love of the game
you might fukk around and catch a critically acclaimed hit

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It got dropped from over 2000 theaters last weekend, its a wrap toots
:dead:

58mil gross on a nearly 100mil budget. Just imagine the reaction of the producers and studio watching the star of the film spend weeks complaining about payment, discussing Empire, and bragging about firing her team while this film flopped. Reminds me of when Monique refused to do the press run for Precious. She's fukking up the money on some ego shyt and I can't imagine these white studios wanting to deal with this shyt in the future by hiring her.

Daps
Who wants to watch color purple the musical?

Let’s do a schindlers list or amistad musical while we’re at it.
It was already a musical on Broadway. Fantasia originated the role in 2005. Then it went on tour. It’s been a thing for a long time. This is just the movie version of the Broadway musical.

And it won a Tony.