Taraji P Henson Wants To Put The Focus Back On The Color Purple Following Her Comments About Unequal Pay

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
I was talking more-so main stream/big budget hollywood flicks, and not historical pieces (slave / civil rights / auto bios) or "black" movies (typically rom com or hood flick) with the all black cast.

Sure a magical negro role only requires a negro of either gender, just like the Morpheus role can be a female (Amanda Waller / Viola Davis for example) but obviously hollywood is still a male dominated industry.
Having her play the love interest in a wench fest is a huge ask. White people don't want to see that. The chick who played Rue in The Hunger Games fukked up her career accepting a bunch of wench/ divestor roles. She got typecast/ branded and she couldn't do any Black movies.

In fact that brings up a point other than some random stuntcasting like Viola playing the Gamemaker in The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (which I think low key flopped) Black people can't be shoved into white/ mainstream movies like that, Disney is losing a fortune in the M She U. So the best that most Black actors can do is to be an action star ( again where they are branded) or be in Black Movies.

Spike had to pass around the hat to get X made you think Denzel didn't take a paycut to play Brother Malcolm?

If you're talented you can do passion projects and big buject flicks If you demonstrate that you can get butts in seats.

Taraji is a character actor who can sing and play comedy. she's a good supporting cast member but being real no one came to see you Taraji.

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Talking about causing smoke and it backfires :picard:

JiIk.gif

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
Honestly I surprised more people don’t take the Nicholas cage route with movies, he don’t be in no big stupid budget ass movies anymore but he still actually do good movies, ain’t nothing wrong with doing them movies, if it’s good enough for dudes like him ,fishburn, etc than it should be good for taraji
What happened to doing shyt for the love of the game
you might fukk around and catch a critically acclaimed hit

Nic Cage had major tax issues and so had to over work. He did hit on some good movies but the bulk of it was not great

He seems to have fixed his tax issues now but for a while he really was doing any movie that paid.

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
That doesn't make any sense to me. The movie just came out on Christmas, not nearly enough time to generate buzz plus she's already been nominated for Oscar before. She knows she's worth more than the average just based off that. By comparison Monique was a somewhat unproven actress when she did Precious.

Yes unless she assumed that Orpah was gonna use her illuminati connects to give her an award that wouldn't make sense. I mean she played Shug Avery

I didn't watch this but I watched the orginal movie it was about Celie not Shug, in the orginal movie Shug basically showed up at the end of the flick.

If someone was gonna get an Oscar then Hollywood likes to give it to a newcomer that did better than expected which is how Monique got hers and Lupita got hers, as an established actress in a supporting role I can't see her getting a nod outside of an epic that got a Best Picture nom.
I mean, ok then. 🤷🏾‍♀️ So then why did she accept the role? Why not turn it down?

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
Having her play the love interest in a wench fest is a huge ask. White people don't want to see that. The chick who played Rue in The Hunger Games fukked up her career accepting a bunch of wench/ divestor roles. She got typecast/ branded and she couldn't do any Black movies.

In fact that brings up a point other than some random stuntcasting like Viola playing the Gamemaker in The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (which I think low key flopped) Black people can't be shoved into white/ mainstream movies like that, Disney is losing a fortune in the M She U. So the best that most Black actors can do is to be an action star ( again where they are branded) or be in Black Movies.

Spike had to pass around the hat to get X made you think Denzel didn't take a paycut to play Brother Malcolm?

If you're talented you can do passion projects and big buject flicks If you demonstrate that you can get butts in seats.

Taraji is a character actor who can sing and play comedy. she's a good supporting cast member but being real no one came to see you Taraji.
…………:mjcry:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
In fact that brings up a point other than some random stuntcasting like Viola playing the Gamemaker in The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (which I think low key flopped) Black people can't be shoved into white/ mainstream movies like that,

Lol this was my point...

trap101

All Star
Daps

I thought you were being facetious and hyperbolic but I took a quick look at her filmography..................EVERY SINGLE fukkN' role......... :mjlol:

Even Worse: She doing it through time different historical time periods....wow............... :heh: