Taraji P Henson Wants To Put The Focus Back On The Color Purple Following Her Comments About Unequal Pay

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Honestly I surprised more people don’t take the Nicholas cage route with movies, he don’t be in no big stupid budget ass movies anymore but he still actually do good movies, ain’t nothing wrong with doing them movies, if it’s good enough for dudes like him ,fishburn, etc than it should be good for taraji
What happened to doing shyt for the love of the game
you might fukk around and catch a critically acclaimed hit
Nick Cage does any and every movie offered :dead:

This dude is in some straight Tubi like movies but also cult classic.

I'm pretty sure he would be in anyone's random TikTok for $32

omnifax

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kalamazoo, MI #ADOS
Because, like Monique, she took this role expecting nominations and recognition.

That doesn't make any sense to me. The movie just came out on Christmas, not nearly enough time to generate buzz plus she's already been nominated for Oscar before. She knows she's worth more than the average just based off that. By comparison Monique was a somewhat unproven actress when she did Precious.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Nick Cage does any and every movie offered :dead:

This dude is in some straight Tubi like movies but also cult classic.

I'm pretty sure he would be in anyone's random TikTok for $32
That movie he did with the killer chucky cheese place was a good movie, it’s a several lower budget films he did that was decent
And some actually got critically claim that allowed him to do somewhat bigger movies again

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Honestly I surprised more people don’t take the Nicholas cage route with movies, he don’t be in no big stupid budget ass movies anymore but he still actually do good movies, ain’t nothing wrong with doing them movies, if it’s good enough for dudes like him ,fishburn, etc than it should be good for taraji
What happened to doing shyt for the love of the game
you might fukk around and catch a critically acclaimed hit
She feels entitled to be an A lister like you said she could be a top grossing Tubi actress shyt she has enough leverage to get backend money from Tubi flicks.

If Johnathan Majors is in another movie it's likely to be in a Tubi role I suspect that this will be a whole lane and certain actors will create a lane for themselves.

I get where she's coming from as a legitmate actress she thinks she should get movies that Meryl Streep is considered for and if she takes low budget then she'll always get that rate but look a Sam L. Jackson homie did Snakes on a Plane and after that became the Go to Black Character actor for movies where they need someone slightly younger than Morgan Freeman.

Sam make a brand for himself with his expletive filled momologues just like Morgan Freeman is the voiceover king Taraji needs to get herself typecast in some way athough she kinda aged out she should brand herself as say the Hood Homegirl. Really she should lean into being. Tyler Perry movie actress.

That brings up another point it seems like a shot at Oprah because TP is famous for his tight production budgets I remember some sassy Black Man dissing a TP flick that Taraji was in for shytty production values, no way Tyler paid her more than this flick and if he did it would only be because she was the star of the flim when this was an ensamble cast but even saying that I know 'Tasia got way less money than Taraji did and her role was technically even bigger

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
That doesn't make any sense to me. The movie just came out on Christmas, not nearly enough time to generate buzz plus she's already been nominated for Oscar before. She knows she's worth more than the average just based off that. By comparison Monique was a somewhat unproven actress when she did Precious.
Yes unless she assumed that Orpah was gonna use her illuminati connects to give her an award that wouldn't make sense. I mean she played Shug Avery

I didn't watch this but I watched the orginal movie it was about Celie not Shug, in the orginal movie Shug basically showed up at the end of the flick.

If someone was gonna get an Oscar then Hollywood likes to give it to a newcomer that did better than expected which is how Monique got hers and Lupita got hers, as an established actress in a supporting role I can't see her getting a nod outside of an epic that got a Best Picture nom.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
She feels entitled to be an A lister like you said she could be a top grossing Tubi actress shyt she has enough leverage to get backend money from Tubi flicks.

If Johnathan Majors is in another movie it's likely to be in a Tubi role I suspect that this will be a whole lane and certain actors will create a lane for themselves.

I get where she's coming from as a legitmate actress she thinks she should get movies that Meryl Streep is considered for and if she takes low budget then she'll always get that rate but look a Sam L. Jackson homie did Snakes on a Plane and after that became the Go to Black Character actor for movies where they need someone slightly younger than Morgan Freeman.

Sam make a brand for himself with his expletive filled momologues just like Morgan Freeman is the voiceover king Taraji needs to get herself typecast in some way athough she kinda aged out she should brand herself as say the Hood Homegirl. Really she should lean into being. Tyler Perry movie actress.

That brings up another point it seems like a shot at Oprah because TP is famous for his tight production budgets I remember some sassy Black Man dissing a TP flick that Taraji was in for shytty production values, no way Tyler paid her more than this flick and if he did it would only be because she was the star of the flim when this was an ensamble cast but even saying that I know 'Tasia got way less money than Taraji did and her role was technically even bigger

That's a great point with Sam Jack... he likely wasn't getting paid shyt relative to what he'd want, but he was on his grind taking damn near every role that required a token black man. I figure he's also probably the easiest mf'er to get along with behind the scenes as well. Couple that with his signature branding that made him a pop culture icon (cussing and lookin incredulous), and yea he played the system well.

Tho of course, it's a bit different for black males than for black women. Black men may sometimes get the big lead role (MBJ, JDW of today.. or the Denzel/Will/Wesley trio of our youth), but will still have opportunities with the secondary sidekick/best friend role, or the tertiary "morpheus" aka old wise nygga in charge role.

For the women, unless they're going to play the mom of the male lead, most of the roles will be for younger women competing for the love-interest role. Speaking about movies specifically, as of course tv gives a bit more variety.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
That's a great point with Sam Jack... he likely wasn't getting paid shyt relative to what he'd want, but he was on his grind taking damn near every role that required a token black man. I figure he's also probably the easiest mf'er to get along with behind the scenes as well. Couple that with his signature branding that made him a pop culture icon (cussing and lookin incredulous), and yea he played the system well.

Tho of course, it's a bit different for black males than for black women. Black men may sometimes get the big lead role (MBJ, JDW of today.. or the Denzel/Will/Wesley trio of our youth), but will still have opportunities with the secondary sidekick/best friend role, or the tertiary "morpheus" aka old wise nygga in charge role.

For the women, unless they're going to play the mom of the male lead, most of the roles will be for younger women competing for the love-interest role. Speaking about movies specifically, as of course tv gives a bit more variety.
Actually Magical Negro roles can be male or female, in fact trying to play the love interest in Black Rom Coms is hard because the competition is steep.

Kerry Washington said she refused to play "the Black Friend". in movies aka Magical Negro lite so she doesn't act much.

Taraji never said it but she hasn't played in any slave roles ( that I know of)

shyt possibily the greastest Black actress of our time played two major Magical Negro roles in The Help and The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and technically The Woman King was a "slave movie.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Actually Magical Negro roles can be male or female, in fact trying to play the love interest in Black Rom Coms is hard because the competition is steep.

Kerry Washington said she refused to play "the Black Friend". in movies aka Magical Negro lite so she doesn't act much.

Taraji never said it but she hasn't played in any slave roles ( that I know of)

shyt possibily the greastest Black actress of our time played two major Magical Negro roles in The Help and The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes and technically The Woman King was a "slave movie.

I was talking more-so main stream/big budget hollywood flicks, and not historical pieces (slave / civil rights / auto bios) or "black" movies (typically rom com or hood flick) with the all black cast.

Sure a magical negro role only requires a negro of either gender, just like the Morpheus role can be a female (Amanda Waller / Viola Davis for example) but obviously hollywood is still a male dominated industry.