Tales of Arise | PS4/PS5/XB1/XSX/PC | 9/10/21

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
@winb83 I don't want to openly discuss spoilers for people that haven't beaten yet but some of your issues here have answers.

The romantic subplots are addressed, shyt shionne and alphen even kiss at the end. Each separate little sexual tension situation going on is addressed in individual cut scenes with said members on the research ship before you set off. I think it would have been a little on the nose to show all 3 potential couples making out at the end. Did any of them outright become couples? no, but it's clear what is going on.

As far as who's in charge, each individual realm goes to great effort to explain what's going on post lord defeat, and they even go into detail on the specific struggles each dominion will face and how to get the different realms working as one. Many of the side quests and skits revolve around these questions specifically and each realm has side quests/skits that only pop up specifically after a lords defeat. Also all the towns peoples dialogue changes and adds context to what's going on.

They also specifically address Lenegis in that Doholim will be it's leader and work with Alphen as a liason between Renans and Dhanans and get them working together (addressing how difficult it will be) especially when Renans find out they are Dhanans.

The character who gave the exposition dump served his purpose in explaining the separate race employed by the Great Spirit. He very specifically explained that his races extinction was inevitable and that his own life extension is all but over. It is explained that they are nearly extinct and will soon be gone.

You essentially know what everyones standing is and what everyones plans are moving forward. An epilogue showing the post game world would be cool for sure but they were pretty specific explaining the plans for the future I'm not sure how far you expect them to continue explaining details.

I must say as well, this epilogue thing is an odd criticism, because EASILY the majority of JRPGs revert to the last in game save and don't let you do this. Well really RPGs in general.

I also really love when games DO do this, but let's not act like it's the norm.

[/SPOILERS]

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I haven't beaten the game yet, but maybe they're leaving it open for story-related DLC or a sequel :ld:

Xillia got a sequel and this is already much more popular than that, so it would make sense for them to milk it. Graces F also got an epilogue story on PS3.
I think it’s a series tradition at this point. Almost no game in this series has an informative ending. Outside of Xillia 2 most of the endings leave a lot to be desired. I give Xillia 2 props because it set up a downer ending and no matter which ending you chose it was a downer but it also kinda glossed on details.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
@winb83 I don't want to openly discuss spoilers for people that haven't beaten yet but some of your issues here have answers.

The romantic subplots are addressed, shyt shionne and alphen even kiss at the end. Each separate little sexual tension situation going on is addressed in individual cut scenes with said members on the research ship before you set off. I think it would have been a little on the nose to show all 3 potential couples making out at the end. Did any of them outright become couples? no, but it's clear what is going on.

As far as who's in charge, each individual realm goes to great effort to explain what's going on post lord defeat, and they even go into detail on the specific struggles each dominion will face and how to get the different realms working as one. Many of the side quests and skits revolve around these questions specifically and each realm has side quests/skits that only pop up specifically after a lords defeat. Also all the towns peoples dialogue changes and adds context to what's going on.

They also specifically address Lenegis in that Doholim will be it's leader and work with Alphen as a liason between Renans and Dhanans and get them working together (addressing how difficult it will be) especially when Renans find out they are Dhanans.

The character who gave the exposition dump served his purpose in explaining the separate race employed by the Great Spirit. He very specifically explained that his races extinction was inevitable and that his own life extension is all but over. It is explained that they are nearly extinct and will soon be gone.

You essentially know what everyones standing is and what everyones plans are moving forward. An epilogue showing the post game world would be cool for sure but they were pretty specific explaining the plans for the future I'm not sure how far you expect them to continue explaining details.

I must say as well, this epilogue thing is an odd criticism, because EASILY the majority of JRPGs revert to the last in game save and don't let you do this. Well really RPGs in general.

I also really love when games DO do this, but let's not act like it's the norm.

[/SPOILERS]
Most of that stuff you’re talking about is pre-ending. In the actual ending none of it is explicitly stated. It’s like going to a restaurant and they cook your meal then expect you to do the dishes.

Any viewer of media and guess at details of how a story plays out. The creators should be bold enough to outright say what happens.

At the very least if they aren’t don’t give me a slideshow. Give me some sort of impactful cutscene after the dust has settled. Goes a long way to making a memorable experience.

something like this I’ll never forget

The closing line of this is more impactful than Arise’s entire ending.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Hold up people didn't like this game story or characters? :hhh:

The ending was fine to me (not sure what else would be expected, every single thing was resolved and explained), this had the best cast of any Tales imo and the best character development/interactions.

It used to be Vesperia>Abyss for me now it's Arise>Vesperia>Abyss.

People just like to complain I guess. I've played nearly every renowned jrpg you can imagine and this became one of my favorites OF ALL TIME. Some of you are BUGGIN :picard:

Going for the plat now what a journey :whew:

Fans of niche series love to do this thing, where something gets changed from older games, and they feign outrage as some sort of barometer to measure their 'real fandom' in front of other fans.

I've played through several Tales games and did not miss anything that was adjusted or streamlined in this one.

Man, some of the cats in here were legit slighting the game because it's "just another Tales game". Like...TF?!:mjlol:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Most of that stuff you’re talking about is pre-ending. In the actual ending none of it is explicitly stated. It’s like going to a restaurant and they cook your meal then expect you to do the dishes.

Any viewer of media and guess at details of how a story plays out. The creators should be bold enough to outright say what happens.

At the very least if they aren’t don’t give me a slideshow. Give me some sort of impactful cutscene after the dust has settled. Goes a long way to making a memorable experience.

something like this I’ll never forget

The closing line of this is more impactful than Arise’s entire ending.

Answers are answers, the ending is multiple hours of reveals really, not just the last cut scene. You want them to retell you all the shyt you learned on the way? To each their own, I was satisfied personally though.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
For those of who beaten the game, what level were you at?

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
Beat the 5th lord last night, and though I haven’t beat it I am sort of underwhelmed by the game. Really starting to notice that JRPGs get inflated metacritic scores.

It’s a solid game but way too melodramatic and cliche at times. Characters are not terrible like some JRPGs, but not very memorable either. And the cutscenes are okay at best. Music is cool but not up to par with other top tier JRPGs.

Battle system is fun though, but most of the monsters have the same gimmicks, and that’s including the bosses.

I do plan on beating the game so I’ll score it once I finish.

Vintage Eclectic

Lord of the Sky
Daps
Reppin
Chi-York
Defeated the 2nd Lord and I'm on my way to the 3rd town. They did a good job with the graphics and this is easily the best fighting system out of the tales games. The team attacks are really dope and I still have 2 more people to join.

I'm kinda conflicted about what character to main battle wise when it comes to Law and Alphin though. I prefer monk/fist characters in terms of combat but there seems to be a delay in Law's attacks connecting compared to how seamlessly Alphin can link everything. I can already see Rim and Shionne being mainstays due to the utility of their moveset. Looking forward to how the rest of the story progresses.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Beat the 5th lord last night, and though I haven’t beat it I am sort of underwhelmed by the game. Really starting to notice that JRPGs get inflated metacritic scores.

It’s a solid game but way too melodramatic and cliche at times. Characters are not terrible like some JRPGs, but not very memorable either. And the cutscenes are okay at best. Music is cool but not up to par with other top tier JRPGs.

Battle system is fun though, but most of the monsters have the same gimmicks, and that’s including the bosses.

I do plan on beating the game so I’ll score it once I finish.

Yeah, the game is overrated to me so far, but I'm only on Ganabelt.

But the funny thing is, this game is actually a dramatic step up storywise from other Tales games IMO. This battle system is trash to me tho, it's the same Tales formula they been doing forever.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, the game is overrated to me so far, but I'm only on Ganabelt.

But the funny thing is, this game is actually a dramatic step up storywise from other Tales games IMO. This battle system is trash to me tho, it's the same Tales formula they been doing forever.

You crazy. The battle system about the best thing about it. What would you change?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Answers are answers, the ending is multiple hours of reveals really, not just the last cut scene. You want them to retell you all the shyt you learned on the way? To each their own, I was satisfied personally though.
A game that gave actual answers is Trails of Cold Steel IV. I don’t agree with all the decisions the writers made in the end but they after the conflict was resolved. There’s a 8 minute narrated monologue that completely lays out the state of the world after the main conflict was resolved including specifically what happens to most of the major players of the supporting cast.

After that a similar type of event that happens at the tail end of Arise’s credits happens as a picture slideshow in the credits but the entirety of them is dedicated to that event and they literally show everyone you could think of hell even people who did not appear in the game but do appear in the series overall.

By the time the credits stopped it was more than satisfactory. With Arise it’s clear the ending was an afterthought. The bare minimum of effort went into it.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
You crazy. The battle system about the best thing about it. What would you change?

Less repetition and more variation in base combos, I'd be willing to trade off less artes for more artes that do more varied things instead of launch. The dodges are kind of weird, a lot of times I'm locked into an animation so I can't dodge on reaction which is fine, but the timing of non-perfect dodges are weird, can't tell if there's invincibility frames or not. The weight of each strike isn't really felt, it feels like every enemy just eats a hundred hits per encounter, etc.

Feel free to disagree, we often do. I will say that even though I was somewhat critical of it, I feel like FF7R's system spoiled me action RPG-wise, it's similar to the Tales system in a lot of ways, but it keeps the fights short, skillful and impactful which I don't feel like Tales does.

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Defeated the 2nd Lord and I'm on my way to the 3rd town. They did a good job with the graphics and this is easily the best fighting system out of the tales games. The team attacks are really dope and I still have 2 more people to join.

I'm kinda conflicted about what character to main battle wise when it comes to Law and Alphin though. I prefer monk/fist characters in terms of combat but there seems to be a delay in Law's attacks connecting compared to how seamlessly Alphin can link everything. I can already see Rim and Shionne being mainstays due to the utility of their moveset. Looking forward to how the rest of the story progresses.

With Law, you have to string the right ones together in order to make him work and his moves string more seamlessly. I feel you tho, as they're obviously the best for close quarters combat.

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
A game that gave actual answers is Trails of Cold Steel IV. I don’t agree with all the decisions the writers made in the end but they after the conflict was resolved. There’s a 8 minute narrated monologue that completely lays out the state of the world after the main conflict was resolved including specifically what happens to most of the major players of the supporting cast.

After that a similar type of event that happens at the tail end of Arise’s credits happens as a picture slideshow in the credits but the entirety of them is dedicated to that event and they literally show everyone you could think of hell even people who did not appear in the game but do appear in the series overall.

By the time the credits stopped it was more than satisfactory. With Arise it’s clear the ending was an afterthought. The bare minimum of effort went into it.

Didn't that game have 4 games to build up to the ending :stopitslime: