Do you support Bernie Sanders?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Coates is an excellent writer but the dude ain't a political analyst so his views are all over the place on politics, this Sanders piece seems to be a prime example

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
How did Lincoln get shot for slavery when he was shot after the war?
He was shot because he was a crooked politian hated by northerns and southerners.
The US had military mobs beating and killing people who went to his funeral parade and laughed at him.

SMH
This notiion that you can beg white people for them to threat you right and then they will give it to you is crazy.

Pitfalls0117

Invokana Trump
Daps
Reppin
NJ->BOS->DC
This dude actually thinks you can vanquish racism through legislation.

I myself am torn regarding whether I will vote or not. If I do it will be for Sanders but the idea of voting for someone who I know will not stand up to Israel is hard to stomach.

Coates is on some serious goofball shyt of late. Acting like racism can be legislated away is so childish and laughable. Some of the EFFECTS of racism may be mitigated by legislation, yes. But, as Fanon writes: "a given country is either racist or it is not; there are no degrees of racism," so to speak. Coates refuses to admit that this country is fundamentally racist, perhaps because it's establishment has so recently made him a"success".

And let's remember that Coates single handedly changed the conversation around the Charleston massacre to center it around removing the Confederate flag. Ie instead of confronting racist violence head on, let's confront the lowest-hanging symbol of that violent history. As if that could possibly be a sufficient response. And now the whole thing will be remembered popularly as a"teachable moment, " as if any problem was solved or even confronted. An utter disservice, Coates did.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Coates is on some serious goofball shyt of late. Acting like racism can be legislated away is so childish and laughable. Some of the EFFECTS of racism may be mitigated by legislation, yes. But, as Fanon writes: "a given country is either racist or it is not; there are no degrees of racism," so to speak. Coates refuses to admit that this country is fundamentally racist, perhaps because it's establishment has so recently made him a"success".

:wow:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
He was shot because he was a crooked politian hated by northerns and southerners.
The US had military mobs beating and killing people who went to his funeral parade and laughed at him.

SMH
This notiion that you can beg white people for them to threat you right and then they will give it to you is crazy.

Agree with you about what you just stated. Just wanted to say..

Read something interesting a few weeks ago.. that basically makes the case
that lincoln wasn't assassinated, but had his death faked... so he could live out his last few months in peace/quiet.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I myself am torn regarding whether I will vote or not. If I do it will be for Sanders but the idea of voting for someone who I know will not stand up to Israel is hard to stomach.

And let's remember that Coates single handedly changed the conversation around the Charleston massacre to center it around removing the Confederate flag. Ie instead of confronting racist violence head on, let's confront the lowest-hanging symbol of that violent history. As if that could possibly be a sufficient response. And now the whole thing will be remembered popularly as a"teachable moment, " as if any problem was solved or even confronted. An utter disservice, Coates did.

damn...

Crazy how Charleston just disappeared outta the news. Damn 2015 really should have been the wakeup year :wow:

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
I can't not wrap my head around why black people love/defend Hilary Clinton so much. :mindblown:
Voters (and people in general) are so dumb it hurts to think about it some times. It's been over a 15 yrs since Bill Clinton left office. Despite going on Arsenio Hall and playing the sax, we can now look back on his presidency in retrospect and with facts and we KNOW his policies severely hurt black America. What has the Clinton family done for black people...ever? Why do BLM matters and people who I thought were smart , like Coates, support this woman so much?

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Coates in the last few months has been pissing me off...its like he's trying to justify his own existence.

His book was weak

I ordered TWO copies of the book the day it dropped and made it required reading for my 12 yr old over the summer.
Half way thru the book and :snoop:. i almost didn't want to look my kid in the eyes. Not saying the book was bad per say , it just didn't live up to the pre release hype and it damn sure didn't live up to all the hype I was doing around my family before I read it.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

:mjlol::francis:

You on some wack historical confusion. It seems you need a few corrections to your historical ignorance.

That means ni--er citizenship. Now, by God, I'll put him through. That is the last speech he will ever give.
Click to expand...​
That's John Wilkes Booth, as recounted by co-conspirator Lewis Powell, 2 days before the assassination. Lincoln had just given a speech from the White House saying that he wanted Black people to have the right to vote. You want to backtrack now?

1) John Wilkes Booth had been a Southern sympathizer and a slavery sympathizer since the beginning of the Civil War - he called their secession "heroic". So his hate obvoiusly wasn't a commentary on Lincoln's politics if it was already there when Lincoln had barely stepped into office. Northerners were calling for him to be banned from the stage (he was a famous actor), and there are receipts.

2) Lincoln wasn't supposed to be assassinated alone - it was part of a combined plot to assassinate Lincoln, Ulysses Grant, Andrew Johnson, and SecState William Stewart all at the same time. The guy who was supposed to assassinate Johnson (George Atzerodt) chickened out last second (saying he had only agreed to kidnapping, not killing), while the ones who were assassinating Stewart (Lewis Powell and David Herald) shot and seriously wounded him, but he managed to recover. Grant was supposed to attend the play with Lincoln, but he and his wife backed out, so he ended up okay too. The whole point of the plot was to cripple the Union government and give the South a chance to reassert independence while the North was in disarray. Since Johnson was a Democrat and Stewart was probably the most respected politician in Republican party history at the time, it obviously wasn't a commentary on Lincoln's political style.

3) He wasn't assassinated "after the war". Booth came up with the whole plan and had been recruiting people for months. Lee had surrendered HIS army 5 days before Booth was able to carry his plan out, but Lee did NOT surrender for the Confederacy. Johnston's troops continued fighting in North Carolina, Taylor's troops kept fighting in Alabama and Mississippi, Forrest's men were still fighting in Tennessee and elsewhere, and Taylor and Watie still had forces west of the Mississippi. The rest of the Confederate surrenders other than Lee didn't happen until late April, May, and June, and all were taken by President Johnson, NOT Lincoln. The end of the Civil War is generally agreed to be June 2, when Gen. Kirby Smith surrendered his forces, meaning that the last Confederate army had given up.

4) Booth's desire to kill Lincoln, Grant, Johnson, and Seward had nothing to do with "Lincoln was a crooked politician". The original plot wasn't even to kill Lincoln, it was to kidnap him and hold him ransom until the North agreed to release all Southern POWs, thereby prolonging the war and giving the South a chance to retain slavery. He tried to carry it out on March 17 but got thrown off by a change in plans by Lincoln. After Lincoln's quote about giving Black people the vote, he changed to assassination, and wanted to take out the entire Northern leadership to give the South one last chance.

5) Lincoln was insanely beloved after his death. He had decided to free the slaves, he had expressed desire to give Black people the vote, and he had helped extend an insanely bloody 4-year war nothing like America had ever experienced - so of course he was going to have haters. But the outpouring of love for him across the North after his death was undeniable.