Swizz Beats in his feelings after barely making the top 20 NYC producers of all time

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Exactly.

I've known Swizz since the Jackson Ave days, and I've worked with him a ridiculous amount of times, back when he was decent. But Swizz and "great" ain't never belong in the same sentence.

:lolbron:

Hey man; I judge off the final product. If a record good....a record good. I'm a simple man.

There was just a plat thread on people shytting on"In Da Club." because it wasn't lyrical enough by the coli's definition.

I think its a really well written song :manny:

And the song was incredibly successful and undeniable.

I've been a music head my whole lyfe; and every genre always has that cult underground fanbase that shyts on anything successful or mainstream no matter what.

You could be the most lyrical rapper on the planet; or could do the craziest guitar solos in the world. Thats a talent.

The "real hiphop heads" or the "real headbangers." appreciate that.

But making a great record that transcends to the masses is a talent 2.

People say the same shyt they say about swizz about someone like French Montana.

I don't like Lupe Fiasco; but I have to give him credit. He really gets it; because he won over underground "real hip-hop heads" and still can produce massive pop records. You have to be real music 2 do that.

Thats rare.

Very few can do both. And its not cause they don't want 2; its because they really aren't capable.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Hey man; I judge off the final product. If a record good....a record good. I'm a simple man.

There was just a plat thread on people shytting on"In Da Club." because it wasn't lyrical enough by the coli's definition.

I think its a really well written song :manny:

And the song was incredibly successful and undeniable.

I've been a music head my whole lyfe; and every genre always has that cult underground fanbase that shyts on anything successful or mainstream no matter what.

You could be the most lyrical rapper on the planet; or could do the craziest guitar solos in the world. Thats a talent.

The "real hiphop heads" or the "real headbangers." appreciate that.

But making a great record that transcends to the masses is a talent 2.

People say the same shyt they say about swizz about someone like French Montana.

I don't like Lupe Fiasco; but I have to give him credit. He really gets it; because he won over underground "real hip-hop heads" and still can produce massive pop records. You have to be real music 2 do that.

Thats rare.

Very few can do both. And its not cause they don't want 2; its because they really aren't capable.

Yeah, for me music is very simple. It's either "dope" or "wack", to me.

It's always been like that, for me. In the business, I was an A&R longer than other job in the industry. So I would get a million beats from producers, and then find who would sound best over them. Or, I would tell producers whether or not I liked certain tracks for whatever project. I never divided anything up into the "mainstream" or "commercial" against "underground" thing. It's all either good or trash, at the end of the day.

So for tracks like "In da Club", it might not be something I'll play personally, but I got why that was going to be a big record because I know how the game works. I don’t think it's a wack record, but it's just one of those joints that's not for me. On that album, my vibe is more "Back Down" and "Heat". Songs like that. I like street sh*t, lol. But with 50 back then, it was all high quality music.

With Swizz, after '99, he was just making a lot of low quality sh*t. Definitely quantity over quality. And Dee and Waah didn't care about hiding the fact that they were going to make sure to get him as much work as possible because that was their nephew. So you had Swizz going around saying he makes beats in 5 mins, but he wasn't understanding that they sound like someone made them in 5 mins! You want to make some sh*t that will be timeless, not just hot today. Which is why Grease was always better because he was more focused on attention to detail. PK was too. But at Ruff Ryders, no matter how weak the beat was, they were going to make the roster work on Swizz's tracks. Including X. He was forced to make a lot of those songs with Swizz. So yeah, you're getting his name out there more, but the volume isn't genuine or artist-driven. They're being told they have to work with dude. That's not a barometer for talent, that's trying to create a hot producer instead of letting them get hot organically.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dame Geease was not always better than Swizz. Dame Grease has multiple joints on Nastradamus and its Nas's worst album. "Ghetto Prisoners" and "Wanna Play Rough" are the best joints Grease did for Nas. X's debut and Mase's "Wana Act" are the only other joints that were crazy. And even then, the Irv and PK had production X's debut too that went hard.

How can ya'll prop up Dame Grease then downplay Swizz. Compare the production discographies and then get back.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Dame Geease was not always better than Swizz. Dame Grease has multiple joints on Nastradamus and its Nas's worst album. "Ghetto Prisoners" and "Wanna Play Rough" are the best joints Grease did for Nas. X's debut and Mase's "Wana Act" are the only other joints that were crazy. And even then, the Irv and PK had production X's debut too that went hard.

How can ya'll prop up Dame Grease then downplay Swizz. Compare the production discographies and then get back.

I think it's pretty easy to.

X's best work, was with Grease and PK, on that first album. X wanted them to do all the work on the second album too, but Waah told them no and that he wanted Swizz to do most of it. When X was asked who he liked working with most, he said Grease. That first album was a masterpiece. And that was driven by Grease and his sound. Even in the later years, X did two albums worth of music with Grease, but when Grease tried to give the music to Swizz for the last X album, Swizz told him he wasn't going to use any of them. He wanted to be the one to say he was steering the ship for the X sh*t. But when X was here, he preferred to work with Grease.

But Grease is also plays keys and guitar. So he's not just on the MP. A lot of his beats are him playing live. The early sh*t he was doing for LOX and Nas was crazy too.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People lost it when Kanye sampled Daft Punk. He was hailed a genius for sampling them. What's crazy is Swizz did it a whole year before Kanye with Busta's "Touch It". That was a crazy track and it was creative:

Another Busta banger:

There's this:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think it's pretty easy to.

X's best work, was with Grease and PK, on that first album. X wanted them to do all the work on the second album too, but Waah told them no and that he wanted Swizz to do most of it. When X was asked who he liked working with most, he said Grease. That first album was a masterpiece. And that was driven by Grease and his sound. Even in the later years, X did two albums worth of music with Grease, but when Grease tried to give the music to Swizz for the last X album, Swizz told him he wasn't going to use any of them. He wanted to be the one to say he was steering the ship for the X sh*t. But when X was here, he preferred to work with Grease.

But Grease is also plays keys and guitar. So he's not just on the MP. A lot of his beats are him playing live. The early sh*t he was doing for LOX and Nas was crazy too.

I already acknowldeged Grease had heat on X's album. The only thkng you've told me is Grease was better than Swizz at producing songs for DMX. Overall, Swizzz >>>>> Grease.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
So rappers in the peak spitter era rhyme over his beats just because?

This Swizz beats hate is out of control in here

Banned From TV is trash I guess

That Top 3 that I mentioned?

"Banned From TV" is in there, lol.

'98 was when he was decent.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I already acknowldeged Grease had heat on X's album. The only thkng you've told me is Grease was better than Swizz at producing songs for DMX. Overall, Swizzz >>>>> Grease.

I still think Grease was better.

Just overall, his beats for everyone I've heard. Fat, Joe, Freeway, T.I., LL, JR Writer, Das EFX, Slick Rick, Cam'ron, CNN, etc. Way better quality.

Bondye Vodou

Proud practitioner of the "High Science"
Daps
U know it's a crab ass list when they don’t show no love to Mr. “Ether Boy”

Homey smokin' dat whole top 10
:wow:

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I still think Grease was better.

Just overall, his beats for everyone I've heard. Fat, Joe, Freeway, T.I., LL, JR Writer, Das EFX, Slick Rick, Cam'ron, CNN, etc. Way better quality.

Breh, if we listed best songs from several of those artists I'm 100% sure Dame Grease isn't making the top 10-20 joints.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Breh, if we listed best songs from several of those artists I'm 100% sure Dame Grease isn't making the top 10-20 joints.

Eh, I think it's all preference.

I copped the first X album for the beats. When I found out who made them, that's what made me a Grease fan. Then hearing his work with mad other MC's and have that same sound where's he's playing live and always having dope drums...I loved that sh*t back then. So I've always been a Dame Grease supporter. Even away from the X stuff. Early on like '98-'99, I think Swizz had a few joints too. But I still think Grease is a way better producer.