Swizz Beats in his feelings after barely making the top 20 NYC producers of all time

Phantom Dreamer

All Star
Daps
Their top three never created in larger volume and output of classics to what Larry, bomb squad and marley did.
Plus,... primo is not from nyc.

So primo is disqualified.
Where they explained that in the beginning slide. To proceed to ignore. their own criteria for the post.
One if my favorite records ever is rhe shut em Down remix. Yet in that Pete rock never rocked shyt like larry,tha squad or marley frfr.

Plus his choice for emceees was always inferior. As Pete rock is one of those producer wack rappers. Who tries to get inferior talent on his shyt. So he can spit his weak ass verses. When someone needed to tell him to stfu. While ruining records trying to rap.

Art Barr

this is some real shyt. i could only get into Pete Rock fairly recently because besides some songs here or there, he never produced for any rapper I gave a fukk about, despite the fact that his beats are :banderas:.

Marley deserves top three -- even if the dudes above him are his sons--but for Larry and The Bomb Squad to not even crack the top 10 is crazy.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
That’s not the only criteria that goes into a greatest producer list

Bomb Squad fizzled out in the early 90s

Larry smith didn’t make it into the 90s

Marley marl fizzled out in the late 90s (most impressive run out of all 3)

To have them be top 3 is retardation and only something an old man who thinks all music after 1996 sucks would say

Only you not knowing the timeline of the culture and history of hiphop.
.plus the history indepthly.

to understand why this thread is dope. As it takes into account. Birthplace. Yet like most nyc transplant try to flaug and do.

act like someone who transplanted is from nyc. Then deny someone is from nyc. If they do not fit into some aesthetic. That is rooted in hiphopinfinity.com meets gentrification of nyc meets misappropriation of hiphop culture discussion. From the late nineties to early 2000's moving forward.

Where only someone not knowing the history and being actualized. Is allowing this nyc meets hhi.com flaug'n in birthplace.

i answered the question based on the actual locale.
I did not include primo.
.if you do not include primo in this discussion. It almost eliminates most of the nineties guys. As all of them had a gateway from primo. Or were kept in talks from primo. Being primo socially. Leading to social good business and referrals. All organically occurring within the culture of actual hiphop for the time.
Only rza being a native from nyc.
could go over bomb squad, Larry and marley.
As rza is the onky guy with the prominent albums and actual skill based emcees to get note. Yet rza only has a run. Which is upended by flood and never got back.
to anything remotely close.
to what was there beforehand.

That rza should be ranked ahead of Pete rock as well.

With primo not being from nyc.

It changes this convo.

Where now since primo is not there.

Plus primo has the larger production credits. Plus rhe larger braintrust and back to back classic debut vinyl and followup vinyl. That begin the socalled era of production. Plus span the pantheon of emcee names.
That people credit as rhe beginning nineties era. That would create the production template of krs return to the boom bap. That would then become the gateway pr point for most here in illmatic.
that lead to the pivotal change in production of the nineties.
Moving away from bReak beats.
Yet since primo is not from nyc

That means when words i manifest was rakim level as a debut single for its time. Followed up by a classic lp. Then followed up by another classic first single and then another classic lp.

It completely eclipses Pete rock, rza, and most of the nineties technical emcee renaissance and rhe production sonic landscapes of that era. That most cling too as their gateway.

Yet on no day...
Back to back bangers and impact are they seeing the golden age Genesis of marley marl. The crush groove dominance of Larry Smith.
Nor the sonic eclectic mastery collage of the bomb squad. Nor the actual groups or waves spawned by those three.

Kane set it off by marley marl off top.
None of the native boom bap emcee technical renaissance emcees are seeing that record.
That is just for starters.

Larry Smith although being an actual rnb producer.

Is still a definitive ol school way of thought hiphop producer and in that.

None of the boom bap renaissance era producers. Have added on to how accessible. Clean and marketable the definitive Larry Smith records are. To the point trap comes exclusively from Larry Smith and people biting Darryl and me.if I remember rhe name of the record right.

For what would become the fake down South mr magic sweet spot sonically. Plus the sweets pot for what would become trap as well.

the bombsquad pretty much made anything the boom bap was gonna do. With free reign of any sonic landscape.

given the fact sample laws were not highly enforced on the level that made chopping what it was in the boom bap era.
As well as a level of content. That created mainstream awareness of what being black primitively is. As well as a sonic expression of it as well. None of the boom bap renaissance native producers did the same outside of rza.

Where in that rza only had a small window. Which was upended from its apex in skill and expression.

Like real talk. How are the native nyc producers of rhe emcee renaissance era and boom bap era. Gonna say they are mantronix level good outside of rza tho. Where again rza had to revamp after being wack. Mantronix never had a period of having to ramp from being completely wack.

The problem with people misinformed. Or speaking out of turn is. They did not dig in the crate. That if they did. They would know these discussion are based and rooted in timeline. Of which rza In timeline has negs from the prince rakeem era. Whereas Smith, marley and bomb squad. Never had a debut. That needed a comeback from being wack to prominence period.
Of which culture score cards matter.
That I know you lack the real time understanding or actualized knowledge of history to discuss or even understand.

You nikkaz would have to be grand wizard Theodore or red alert with CaprI. When I know None of y'all actualized in a pillar. To trust your posting. Plus you lack significant historic knowledge about hiphop. Especially understanding new and ol school way of thought. To the changes in sonic landscapes. As again...I am the only guy going Indepthly freely in discussion Indepthly. While I have not read much actual detail from nikkaz and I know they do not know. If they did they would be the protege to a legend. When they are not and I am the protege to a legend.
I did not get this stature. From an accident. I was there.

Art Barr

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
this is some real shyt. i could only get into Pete Rock fairly recently because besides some songs here or there, he never produced for any rapper I gave a fukk about, despite the fact that his beats are :banderas:.

Marley deserves top three -- even if the dudes above him are his sons--but for Larry and The Bomb Squad to not even crack the top 10 is crazy.

Pete rock was only enjoyable from rhe time the shut'eem down remix dropped.

Once he started rhyming and paired with cl smooth. So he could make it like Pete rock could rap too.

I was done.
Been listening to Pete rock instrumental albums.
since I could find the imports on vinyl or a rip.
Pete rock ruins shyt by trying to rap. Pete Rock stfu trying to rap.

Frfr.

stfu.

I hate producer rappers

stfu and stop horde'n dem beats.
you not skilled enough to rhyme over.

Art Barr

Last edited:
Daps
and dame grease should be on here. he produced one of the greatest albums to come out of nyc (stop it. it’s a nyc album, through and through).

:unimpressed:

Ku$h Parker

I'm Nothin Correctable
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Prime Minister of S.B. Westside
Swizz is a grifter. I find it amazing that he sold beats to GOATs the way he did... He has better social skills than production skills.

When your Fam is running the Hottest Label,You just need to get that Beat DAT thru that Door,Word to Warren G

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
Pete rock was only enjoyable from rhe time the shut'eem down remix dropped.

Once he started rhyming and paired with cl smooth. So he could make it like Pete rock could rap too.

I was done.
Been listening to Pete rock instrumental albums.
since I could find the imports on vinyl or a rip.
Pete rock ruins shyt by trying to rap. Pete Rock stfu trying to rap.

Frfr.

stfu.

I hate producer rappers

stfu and stop horde'n dem beats.
you not skilled enough to rhyme over.

Art Barr

I still wish there was a peteless version of down this :snoop:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Maybe they wanted to be heard and have a fanbase that didn't solely exist at Fat Beats:lolbron:

It's like Alchemist said about Swizz, he almost begs rappers to take his beats.

I've seen it in person with Swizz many times. He'll perform and dance mad hard while playing his beats for rappers, to coax n*ggas into taking one. Sometimes he'll have his people in there doing routines over the beats to make the beat seem hotter. Swizz is a salesman. It's who he is. He''ll socialize his way into selling a beat or two. So people definitely copped tracks because he was cool with them and because they liked dude as a person. Nobody is seeking him out, he comes to YOU! HAHA!! I saw that happen mad times over the years. And Swizz is mad cool, but a lot of his beats are trash.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
I still wish there was a peteless version of down this :snoop:

Nah, we loved Pete rapping on this when it dropped. He was the hottest producer at the time, and this record was another testament to how dope he was! He brought them back. Seeing him and Run DMC together back then was CRAZY! That's still my favorite Hip Hop video of all-time. Whole video is all legends! Jam Master Jay told Pete they're not doing the record unless he raps on it! And it worked. Straight classic.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
It's like Alchemist said about Swizz, he almost begs rappers to take his beats.

I've seen it in person with Swizz many times. He'll perform and dance mad hard while playing his beats for rappers, to coax n*ggas into taking one. Sometimes he'll have his people in there doing routines over the beats to make the beat seem hotter. Swizz is a salesman. It's who he is. He''ll socialize his way into selling a beat or two. So people definitely copped tracks because he was cool with them and because they liked dude as a person. Nobody is seeking him out, he comes to YOU! HAHA!! I saw that happen mad times over the years. And Swizz is mad cool, but a lot of his beats are trash.

Game is the game.

Thread is about great producers at the day; not who has the best instrumentals....

Swiss beats will never have to be at "Juggalo Fest" getting bottles thrown at him by CACs so good for him :salute:

:blessed:

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Game is the game.

Thread is about great producers at the day; not who has the best instrumentals....

Exactly.

I've known Swizz since the Jackson Ave days, and I've worked with him a ridiculous amount of times, back when he was decent. But Swizz and "great" ain't never belong in the same sentence.

:lolbron: