"Supergirl" TV show thread

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
IGN discussion:

Eric Goldman & Roth Cornet discuss CBS's Supergirl TV series and why it seems the most likely non-CW show to take place in the same universe as Arrow and The Flash.

verbalkint

I see you niccas...
Daps
Reppin
Queens
I was listening to a podcast. Can't remember which one. Its literally somebody job or the way they justify it to come to a show or movie and make a change. So when she has no connections to supes or has a comedic sidekick or only has her powers during her monthly thats why.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I hope they bring Sterling Gates aboard as a consultant/exec producer, dude did a great job writing Supergirl a few years back

Conz

Superstar
Daps
of all the stupid TV show ideas, this one has to rank up there. all the outrage over the lack of female action stars is warranted, how many fukkin times do we have to go over the fact that female led action movies/shows fail at like a 90% rate. there have been maybe 5 iconic female action heroes and it's not because of a lack of trying. no one wants to fukkin watch girls kick ass, it's a stupid concept.

that being said... this is even worse. superman is lame as fukk, so they're gonna give us Supergirl? Would you watch Batgirl? The only chance a female superhero has is if she's in an esemble. You really think a Wonder Woman is gonna be anywhere near the quality of a male led superhero movie? No chance. But if you pair her with others, it'll probably work. it's not sexism, it's realism, and there's no point prancing her around in her "sexy" costume when you could probably download half hour videos of a girl dressed as Supergirl licking a girl painted as Green Lantern's a$$hole in about 43 seconds if you look for it.

ideas like this annoy me more than any reboot or sequel

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
of all the stupid TV show ideas, this one has to rank up there. all the outrage over the lack of female action stars is warranted, how many fukkin times do we have to go over the fact that female led action movies/shows fail at like a 90% rate. there have been maybe 5 iconic female action heroes and it's not because of a lack of trying. no one wants to fukkin watch girls kick ass, it's a stupid concept.

that being said... this is even worse. superman is lame as fukk, so they're gonna give us Supergirl? Would you watch Batgirl? The only chance a female superhero has is if she's in an esemble. You really think a Wonder Woman is gonna be anywhere near the quality of a male led superhero movie? No chance. But if you pair her with others, it'll probably work. it's not sexism, it's realism, and there's no point prancing her around in her "sexy" costume when you could probably download half hour videos of a girl dressed as Supergirl licking a girl painted as Green Lantern's a$$hole in about 43 seconds if you look for it.

Why are you ranting about movies when this is going to be a TV show? Female led TV shows succeed all the time.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
In different capacities, not super action heroes.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Nikita ran for 4 seasons and that was fantastical action. Orphan Black is in the middle of a successful run.
The Vampire Diaries is basically Elena Gilbert and her wacky supernatural adventures.
Buffy ran for 7 seasons.
It is not some inconceivable concept to have a female led action/adventure type show.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Nikita ran for 4 seasons and that was fantastical action. Orphan Black is in the middle of a successful run.
The Vampire Diaries is basically Elena Gilbert and her wacky supernatural adventures.
Buffy ran for 7 seasons.
It is not some inconceivable concept to have a female led action/adventure type show.
Don't forget about "Alias", which ran for 5 seasons.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Why are you ranting about movies when this is going to be a TV show? Female led TV shows succeed all the time.
Buffy ran for 7 seasons.

Be ignorant brehs!!!!

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Buffy hasn't been on for how many years, and was written by the one dude who writes good female characters. I know nothing about Vampire Diaries, nor do i want to. Orphan Black is a cool concept. Alias is over ten years old... i can cherrypick too

we're talking about Supergirl. Superman, but a girl. that is about as lame you can possibly get.

while we're on the topic of all those shows, how does the CW even work? i don't know anyone who watches that network, the shows don't seem to kill in the ratings, yet they last longer than other network shows.

la2

Rookie
Daps
Buffy hasn't been on for how many years, and was written by the one dude who writes good female characters. I know nothing about Vampire Diaries, nor do i want to. Orphan Black is a cool concept. Alias is over ten years old... i can cherrypick too

we're talking about Supergirl. Superman, but a girl. that is about as lame you can possibly get.

You don’t read many comics do you..

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

while we're on the topic of all those shows, how does the CW even work? i don't know anyone who watches that network, the shows don't seem to kill in the ratings, yet they last longer than other network shows.
First, just because you don't know anything about something doesn't change the fact that it exists and flies in the face of your main point.
Second, it isn't a cherry pick to list successful female led action shows. That demonstrates that it is not out of the ordinary for networks to greenlight those types of shows and for them to be successful.
Third, you need to realize that Supergirl has been a successful concept since the 1960s. If she was as lame as you say then she would have died from non-interest a long time ago.
Finally, the CW doesn't get very high overall ratings but they do well in the coveted 18-35 demo which is all that advertisers care about. So a show on ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox may have higher cumulative ratings but a CW show will have a better 18-35 and as a result command a higher ad rate.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
First, just because you don't know anything about something doesn't change the fact that it exists and flies in the face of your main point.
Second, it isn't a cherry pick to list successful female led action shows. That demonstrates that it is not out of the ordinary for networks to greenlight those types of shows and for them to be successful.
Third, you need to realize that Supergirl has been a successful concept since the 1960s. If she was as lame as you say then she would have died from non-interest a long time ago.
Finally, the CW doesn't get very high overall ratings but they do well in the coveted 18-35 demo which is all that advertisers care about. So a show on ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox may have higher cumulative ratings but a CW show will have a better 18-35 and as a result command a higher ad rate.

I'm on you and @satam55 side on this argument, but the bolded point is wrong.

CW is perpetually last placed in the ratings, including 18-35. Their best rated show is Vampire Diaries and that only averages a 1.0 in 18-35.

In comparison, a show that I liked a lot, Suburgatory averaged a 1.57 on ABC and was cancelled, and just for comparisons sake, The Big Bang Theory gets a 5.0 in 18-35.

Where CW claims it does well (with no numbers given to back it up) is in their "streaming" service. They say the people who they're aiming at (teenage to early 20's girls) watch most of their shows that way, but like I said, they don't give their numbers out.