"Supergirl" TV show thread

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
7 ACTRESSES WHO COULD PLAY SUPERGIRL

Here are a few ideas about who should portray Kara Zor-El on the new CBS series.

19 SEP 2014 BY MATT FOWLER

We don't know much about the upcoming CBS Supergirl TV series from Arrow and Flash's Greg Berlanti other than we think that it's an awesome idea and we fully support it.

A few questions arise, naturally. Tonally, will Supergirl match Arrow and The Flash, despite being on a different (though corporately connected) network? Also, with Berlanti behind it, could Supergirl share an actual DC TV-verse with the CW shows in a way that FOX's Gotham (which is also restrained by being a prequel) and NBC's Constantine can't? And the logline mentions Kara Zor-El's "famous cousin," so it seems clear that Superman exists within the world of this show - but how much of a force/factor will he be if he's never shown on-screen?

624007-supergirl.jpg

One thing we can do, with reckless abandon, is phantom cast for Kara! So let's get to it. Who's ready to step into TV Supergirl's red boots? Her character age is listed at 24, so some of our picks are already a little out of range. But after you see them I think you'll know exactly why they had to be mentioned. And if we left out some of your own personal picks then feel free to use the comment board to let us know who you'd like to see play Kara.

Laura Vandervoort
kaura-vandervoort-13.jpg

First up we have a lovely lady who's already known for playing Supergirl - Laura Vandervoort. Sure, it's unlikely that Vandervoort would reprise the role on a different, non-Smallville connected series - and she also happens to have another TV series, Bitten, she's starring in these days. But her tenure as Kara (and the fandom she's gained because of it) definitely warrants her a spot on the list. A ton of people would love to see her play this character again.

Yvonne Strahovski

Pretty-Yvonne-Wallpaper-yvonne-strahovski-11497507-1920-1440.jpg

Yvonne Strahovski's on here because... she's freakin' Yvonne Strahovski. And people have been saying she'd make an amazing Supergirl -- or Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers, among other strong, female superhero -- ever since her Chuck days. Truth be told, she's a little bit too old for the role as it is described for this series, but I don't think anyone in their right mind would complain if she was cast as Kara. Because it's dream casting at its finest.

Ashley Hinshaw
ashley_hinshaw_wallpaper-wide.jpg

Next up is a woman who just popped up on our radar this summer during the final season of True Blood - Ashley Hinshaw, who played microbiologist Brigette; a love interest to both Hoyt and Jason. She also played Power Girl in Max Landis' "The Death and Return of Superman" short back in 2011. That, plus a role in Chronicle, shows us that she's no stranger to the world of supers.

Lyndsy Fonseca
lyndsy_fonseca_wallpaper_13-other.jpg

Lyndsy Fonseca, on the other hand, has been on our phantom casting minds ever since she starred on The CW's Nikita as an super-spy, ass-kicking heiress. She's even still a part of our AMC's Preacher Casting Call feature from this past February as a suggestion for Tulip. Basically we just want to see her back on TV and busting heads.

Leven Rambin
leven-rambin-4812-1366x768.jpg

We first took notice of Leven Rambin on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles as John Connor's girlfriend, Riley. Since then she's starred in everything from The Hunger Games to The CW's Tomorrow People. She's also got a bit of a "Strahovski Jr." thing going that works out well for her. And anyone who can play a District 1 Career Tribute is certainly up for the task of Supergirl.

Laura Haddock
lucreziadonati-davincisdemons3.jpg

Laura Haddock has already had two roles in big Marvel films - first as an "appreciative fan" in Captain America: The First Avenger and then as Peter Quill's mother in Guardians of the Galaxy. But it's her work on Starz' Da Vinci's Demons that really stands out the most, as she plays the complex and deceitful Lucrezia Donati.

Britt Robertson
britt.jpg

Britt Robertson has been TV's "It Girl" for a few years now, just never quite finding the right show as both The CW's Life Unexpected and The Secret Circle were cancelled after one season. Two summers back, she found a place on CBS's Under the Dome, only to get written off after the first season. Robertson has since moved on to the buzzed-about Brad Bird/Damon Lindelof Disney film, Tomorrowland. But if anything proves her toughness it's being able to survive Under the Dome's dialogue. That takes Kryptonian endurance.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/19/7-actresses-who-could-play-supergirl

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I don't think it will actually air on CBS...there have been a couple instances where shows were developed for CBS but ended up being moved to CW because the show didn't fit with the "tone" of CBS.
The last one that happened with was Ringer a couple seasons ago.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I don't think it will actually air on CBS...there have been a couple instances where shows were developed for CBS but ended up being moved to CW because the show didn't fit with the "tone" of CBS.
The last one that happened with was Ringer a couple seasons ago.
Yep. I'm hoping the same thing happens. CBS ends up not picking up the show, than the CW (or another suitable network) ends up picking it up instead.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Once the only network staying out of the whole new massive comic book TV show arena, CBS is going all in with a new Supergirl show - which they've given an official series commitment to, bypassing both the "in development" and "pilot" stage.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Yeah it might not be CBS but CW or USA network or anything. The only thing that surprises me is that they skipped pilot and are ordering a full series. That's risky and also keep in mind that they said its a re-imaging.
I keep asking how are they gonna work it without linking it to Superman. But making it an AU and possibly having Linda Danvers there but still it runs into the problem that fan-pandering will want other characters like Superman.

I would like them to include characters from Metropolis/Smallville to support her but I don't know whats going on here. I think they slow it down, but lets see how it goes. I don't think its a bad idea that DC is NOT connecting its universe on TV and movies like Marvel cause you don't run into a complexity of keeping everything in the same direction but you run into the problem of licensing rights on using certain characters (remember that Bruce Wayne cant be on Smallville)

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
That Lyndsey chick has a pretty face...

If Fonsexa da gawdess played Supergirl I'd be :blessed::mjcry:

But she's doing a pilot for some Hulu/Amazon original series so I think she might have her diary full.

Wouldnt mind Candice Accola if she somehow can get out of Vampire Diaries when everyone's contract expires in 2015 and depending on when they shoot this show.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Yeah it might not be CBS but CW or USA network or anything. The only thing that surprises me is that they skipped pilot and are ordering a full series. That's risky and also keep in mind that they said its a re-imaging.
I keep asking how are they gonna work it without linking it to Superman. But making it an AU and possibly having Linda Danvers there but still it runs into the problem that fan-pandering will want other characters like Superman.

I would like them to include characters from Metropolis/Smallville to support her but I don't know whats going on here. I think they slow it down, but lets see how it goes. I don't think its a bad idea that DC is NOT connecting its universe on TV and movies like Marvel cause you don't run into a complexity of keeping everything in the same direction but you run into the problem of licensing rights on using certain characters (remember that Bruce Wayne cant be on Smallville)
That wasn't licensing though because WB owns all the rights to the DC characters. That was a studio decision at the time because they didn't want any confusion between whatever would have been on TV and what was happening with the Nolan movies. It is the kind of the same thing like what happened recently with Arrow where the Brandon Routh character was supposed to be Ted Kord/Blue Beetle but WB told the producers of Arrow they had other plans for that character so they changed it to The Atom.

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
That Lyndsey chick has a pretty face...
She's actually pretty Solid in Nikita too. I'd Co-Sign her as Supergirl if given the right Story but it's too early to say if Supergirl will get that Piff Treatment like Ollie is.