"Supergirl" TV show thread

Daps
Reppin
NYC
you wanna know what i don't get? and maybe one of you could help me understand this.

we all KNOW this shyt is gonna flop. like it's almost an exact certainty.

so if WE could see it, and we're just a bunch of no name forum postin muthafukkas... why can't THEY at the studios see it with all their knowledge, expertise, and research? like please show me the person with the six figure (or seven figure) salary that stood up in a room and said, "you know what? let's try supergirl. could be a big hit"

are they that blind? or is the superhero genre just so fukkin hot right now that studios are just willing to throw money at WHATEVER they think is gonna get some type of response.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
you wanna know what i don't get? and maybe one of you could help me understand this.

so if WE could see it, and we're just a bunch of no name forum postin muthafukkas... why can't THEY at the studios see it with all their knowledge, expertise, and research? like please show me the person with the six figure (or seven figure) salary that stood up in a room and said, "you know what? let's try supergirl. could be a big hit"

are they that blind? or is the superhero genre just so fukkin hot right now that studios are just willing to throw money at WHATEVER they think is gonna get some type of response.

1. Studio and networks have money to burn

2. Studios and networks have airtime to fill

3. Studios and networks have advertising to sell during said airtime

4. Advertisers are more likely to buy advertising space on a known commodity than an unknown one

Daps
Reppin
NYC
1. Studio and networks have money to burn

2. Studios and networks have airtime to fill

3. Studios and networks have advertising to sell during said airtime

4. Advertisers are more likely to buy advertising space on a known commodity than an unknown one

right. if it's a hit it's a hit, great. if not... oh well, we got as much out of it as we could.

but isn't it also in their best interest to great good content? you know... in the hopes that they become hits so they can squeeze them for more?

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
right. if it's a hit it's a hit, great. if not... oh well, we got as much out of it as we could.

but isn't it also in their best interest to great good content? you know... in the hopes that they become hits so they can squeeze them for more?

The television landscape has become fractured (DVR, On Demand etc.), and the so called "good content" is often more cerebral, "high brow" or serialized (long drawn out stories rather than case-of-the-week stuff) so you have two choices:

1. Go big and reach for the big swing, illusive "tentpole" attempts at mass hits (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC)

2. Go niche and hope to find a corner of the market that is small, ravenous, and passionate (FX, HBO, Showtime etc.)

If you live and die by your advertising revenue, #1 is the obvious answer, and you get shows like The Blacklist, NCIS: New Orleans, CSI: Cyber etc.

If you have subscribers and cable money, and your advertising revenue is basically secondary, #2 is the answer, and you get shows like Veep, Louie, Homeland, Master of Sex etc.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

Have you seen some of the stuff that has gotten the greenlight to be made into a TV series? Just this fall season there are a grip of obviously shytty shows and top of the list is that Mysteries of Laura bullshyt that looked like hot garbage yet its debut episode had 10 million fukking viewers.
Just because something seems like a sure fire flop doesn't mean that it won't end up finding an audience.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Have you seen some of the stuff that has gotten the greenlight to be made into a TV series? Just this fall season there are a grip of obviously shytty shows and top of the list is that Mysteries of Laura bullshyt that looked like hot garbage yet its debut episode had 10 million fukking viewers.
Just because something seems like a sure fire flop doesn't mean that it won't end up finding an audience.

:shaq2: That happens EVERY YEAR! Garbage shows are greenlit that are obviously gonna be canceled. With all this expanded original programming on Cable & SVOD nowadays, even more garbage is being greenlit for Network TV.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

NBC is determined to push Debra Messing down the public's throats.

Hopefully there's a crazy Week 2 drop off, but I doubt it'll be that steep. NBC's been begging for a "hit" for years. It could have a 50% drop and it'll still run for 4 years.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

Hopefully there's a crazy Week 2 drop off, but I doubt it'll be that steep. NBC's been begging for a "hit" for years. It could have a 50% drop and it'll still run for 4 years.
I watched that shyt on a preview and it was horrendous. Like some sort of parody of cop shows except they were serious as fukk about the bullshyt they were doing.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I watched that shyt on a preview and it was horrendous. Like some sort of parody of cop shows except they were serious as fukk about the bullshyt they were doing.

I don't even have to watch joints like this.

My nikkas Andy Greenwald, Daniel Feinberg & Alan Sepinwall steer me clear of garbage TV.

Andy Greenwald's Grantland articles & Firewall & Iceberg podcast FTMFW

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

My nikkas Andy Greenwald, Daniel Feinberg & Alan Sepinwall steer me clear of garbage TV.

Yep! I follow all 3 on Twitter & often to the listen Firewall & Iceberg podcast. I always look forward to the fall previews.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
Yep! I follow all 3 on Twitter & often listen Firewall & Iceberg podcast. I always look forward to the fall previews.

I've never been the type of person to read reviews for anything to decide whether to watch/go/buy anything, but when I started reading/following and listening to the above 3 people, I found their tastes in TV lined up almost exactly with mine.

If you listen to F&I, you should check out Andy Greenwald's podcast on the Grantland Network called Hollywood Prospectus.

It's not strictly TV, and sometimes Andy and his boy Chris Ryan stray into shyt I don't care about (Rock music, books, arty films etc.), but their weekly recaps when Game of Thrones was on was so dope.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

:dahell: I just saw a promo for this on TV, WTF is this garbage-ass shyt?!!

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN

I listen to Andy's podcast on Grantland. Sepinwall I respect cause of clout, Feinberg I cant really get with cause he moves the goal posts on a lot of arguments about TV.