Super Bowl Fiasco aside, Wayne had one of the highest peaks ever for a rapper, why is his legend status questionable?

LOOPY

All Star
Daps
*Wayne > Snoop & Dre

*Them not having Tune n Cash Money run shyt right off the heels of the West Coast celebration last year is disrespectful

*Hov wouldn't book Kendrick or Drake for a NY based super bowl. nikka would prolly throw Fat Joe up there:unimpressed:

£

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
*Tune has done more for and is more important to hip hop than k dot

*But ya already know this

*nikkas talking bout songs to play at the bowl.
Shoot what did Snoop n Dre play? :usure:

£
Probably songs that actually stand the test of time

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
I really wish SOHH threads were accessible still. Wayne’s rapping skill and status all time was always questioned and debated in real time during his peak in the hip hop space
Most overhyped rapper that’s considered a legend ever. His popularity and output get exceeds his actual music and I was saying this in real time during his peak. People attempted to do the same to Lil Baby in the past couple of years but that instantly backfired.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
His status as a legend isn’t questionable. As with most things there are degrees/levels to this shyt.

I think for the most part Wayne gets just the right amount of love and respect that he should get if not maybe more than.

Saying he’s not entitled to do the Super Bowl given factors like lack of professionalism as a performer among other things is not negating his popularity or influence.

CLOSE THREAD

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
his music aged poorly
He was the top rapper in the worst era of rap
He rapped about nothing
His catalog is mediocre
His hits are a bit overrated
He’s a c00n
He’s a druggie
It’s funny how people forget that folk were saying this then. He had a nice run and thats cool but I don’t know any song he can perform that won’t have the censors with their finger smashed on the button like they do on the BET awards. He definitely could get some time on that stage but a whole set?? I don’t know.

Last edited:

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
Wayne is a legend, no one is arguing that.

But most of us would also agree that he's WAY past his prime, and he simply cannot perform on the level that Superbowl would expect him to do.

Sad shyt but that's the reality.
This is what his fanbase can’t get through their heads. He has been around for a very long time and has a massive catalog, but in 2024, he’s basically a step above being a zombie. And that’s not even including his tap dancing for Trump and talking about racism doesn’t exist. He’s considered a legend, but I’m glad he’s not MY legend.

Fred G. Sanford

two across the lips
Daps
Reppin
St.louis
Y'all just hating and probably east Coast lovers ...but just don't know how much white people loves lil Wayne. That Carter 3 era is where he got all his fans

Wayne got 3 eras he can perform and plenty of guest features he could bring out.

He can start out with the hot boyz era and bring the hot boyz for the reunion on national TV and do back that azz up for the first set and then go into the Carter era his most popular point and then bring Drake and Nikki out too close the show

Mʀ2ᴋDᴇᴇᴢ

Licensed New Age Healer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Midwest
I rock with Wayne, but compared to others cats who are considered GOATs his subject matter is mediocre imo for the most part.

Last edited:

GeeEffKay

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s not, but let’s not act like this is new lol. Even during his height he was largely polarizing.

Gotright

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
detroit
Humble
DNA
Alright
Rich Spirit
Maad City
Count Me Out
Collard Greens
King Kunta
Money Trees
Not Like Us

And he could easily swap one of these out with something like All of the Stars, Swimming Pools, or Like That and still go off

Breh has plenty of songs to choose from. I don't know why yall keep fronting on his catalog
Wayne got to have a better line up then that. I'm no Wayne fan by far but I ain't heard of of the songs u posted.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
It’s because of he sucked for 5 plus years, made a rock album for no reason, and said he was a blood he don’t know about Black Lives Matter

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A few things at play here.

1. You aint supposed to still be relevant 16 years later. The shyt we have seen with Drake and to a lesser degree Jay aint the standard, its outlier shyt. How much acknowledgement does Rakim or KRS get? shyt how much were they getting in the 90s?
2. He made music that was hot for its time but not timeless. Not a lot of substance. Some straight up destructive BS in some of it. At the time he was the coolest thing on earth. But the folks that thought that in HS and college are now grown and look at it differently. We see him for the false flagging lame junkie he was and I say this as a person that fukked with his music.
3. The stuff that made him who he is the mixtape stuff that the mainstream isnt familiar with.
4. This probably the biggest thing...he never pivoted. He didnt have Snoops personality, versatility, or foresight. He didnt have Jays ruthless business sense, narrative understanding and influence, or famous spouse.

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
Humble
DNA
Alright
Rich Spirit
Maad City
Count Me Out
Collard Greens
King Kunta
Money Trees
Not Like Us

And he could easily swap one of these out with something like All of the Stars, Swimming Pools, or Like That and still go off

Breh has plenty of songs to choose from. I don't know why yall keep fronting on his catalog
These are dope songs but ya'll can't shyt on Wayne's hits and name some of these records. You think the cacs watching the Super Bowl heard of half of these joints?