Suicide Squad (Official Thread)

Daps
Reppin
NYC
So by your own accord thor 1 and iron man 2 are the worst of the Marvel films

Iron man 2 has a rt of 72% and thor 77%.

While suicide squad is sitting at a 26%

How can you not see the critic bias in these films?

The shyt is becoming a problem because everyone looks at that fukking score before seeing movies now and most people just go with the negative score.

This shyt has dc scrambling to fix movies that didn't need to be fixed, just to please critics who seem like they are prepared to shyt on anything dc does. On the other hand, alot of marvel movies keep having the same problem that they may never see a need to address since even their bad movies are praised as the best comicbook movie ever.
I really don't think there's a bias.

Suicide Squad is not a kind movie to the uninitiated, i.e. if you don't have much invested in the DCEU it offers very little as a standalone film. that, on top of its glaring flaws, could make it a very tough sit for the non-fan.

I really don't think it should be that low, but there are a lot of movies I don't think should be as low as they are. Don't think it's a DC thing at all.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I really don't think there's a bias.

Suicide Squad is not a kind movie to the uninitiated, i.e. if you don't have much invested in the DCEU it offers very little as a standalone film. that, on top of its glaring flaws, could make it a very tough sit for the non-fan.

I really don't think it should be that low, but there are a lot of movies I don't think should be as low as they are. Don't think it's a DC thing at all.
If you can't see the bias atleast in professional critics then your choosing to be deliberately obtuse.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Diablo so well written and acted. When he finally found himself, it was like you found it with him. Great Job by Jay Hernandez and by David for bringing that performance out of him. The movie did a great job of showing the softer side of all these bad evil people.

proxy.jpg

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's what the follow up films were also meant to be breh (Post-Nolan effect) :manny:

Snyder and Ayer even said all this themselves before their movies were released.

The real world Nolan approach was applied to Superman in Man of Steel and structurally it followed Batman Begins. That movie was also originally meant to be the first in standalone series akin to TDK trilogy.

Ayer referred to Suicide Squad as "comic book movie 2.0" as in being above conventional comic book movies.

The fanbase ate statements like those up and wanted films as such but now suddenly want to compare these movies to supposed lesser movies instead of the Holy Trinity, I wonder why :patrice:

ah, didnt know that, i didnt pay attention to none of that shyt...only thing i recall was that mos was supposed to have 2 more movies, then bvs came outta no where....

with that said, i still dont see the comparison....yes, they have the real world effect, but the 3 movies so far feel like comic book movies, which they need to since they connecting, unlike nolan's films...his films really just feel like films that happen to have a guy running around in a bat suit to me, not batman films...but whatever.....

...preciate the back/forth, have a good one...work is done...

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Yo the villain is literally Gozer the Gozerian if she fought the Ghostbusters. I wonder if they did that on purpose :russ:
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this. During that climax i told my breh "wtf is this ghostbusters?" and then 20 seconds later Dr Moon comes out of the crumbling rock and we both laughed.

Guess this was the 2nd ghostbusters remake of the summer :troll:

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Alright just got back. I'm definitely seeing it again.

First, I think the editing critiscms are over blown but do have merit. And thats mainly because of the first I don't know ~20-30 minutes. It definitely was done poorly for me,especially the introductions. The scenes themselves worked,but they just didn't flow well. I thought once it moved past that though the editing was fine. It was smooth,it made sense and their wasn't a song being played every minute. It felt like 2 different editors. One that worked on that section of it and the rest. It was odd.

However,I really enjoyed the film. Will Smith nailed his role. Viola killed it. She really was the true villain of the film. Margot was amazing as well. Jay hernandez was the biggest surprise. I did not expect to like him and the character that much. The rest of the characters were just side characters to me. I wish jai got more screen time because he was great.

Enchantress and her brother sucked. No other way to say it. The brother looked straight out of the marvel villain bargain bin. Her motivations were muddy and thin at best. And personally the I'm trying to take over the world trope with a 1 note throwaway villain in comic book films needs to die. It's so overdone at this point it's just meaningless. Every fukking comic book film is suffering from this. All the studios need to step up. Problem is theirs just so many origin flicks still and typically studios use throwaways for the first film because they have to dedicate most of the film to the protagonists.

Moving on to joker. I was concerned about how they used him with so much talk of deleted scenes but honestly had no problem with how he was used. He was a small sub plot and he had a beginning and an end in the story. It was short and simple.

I can definitely seeing people not liking the direction they went in but I loved the playboy gangster angle. It's a nice swerve from heaths. I think people just love joker so much that they can't handle him being a side character like this and just wanted him to be much more prominent. Personally I agree I wanted to see more but all his scenes worked for me. I'm eager to see leto again.

I was worried they'd have every character saying a quip every minute like a Marvel film but nah. It was typical blockbuster stuff but not over bearing like marvel.

I loved the bar scene. The flash backs all worked for me. The batman and flash cameos made me geek out. Most of the film worked for me except the beginning and the corny villain

7.5/10

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
So by your own accord thor 1 and iron man 2 are the worst of the Marvel films

Iron man 2 has a rt of 72% and thor 77%.

While suicide squad is sitting at a 26%

How can you not see the critic bias in these films?

The shyt is becoming a problem because everyone looks at that fukking score before seeing movies now and most people just go with the negative score.

This shyt has dc scrambling to fix movies that didn't need to be fixed, just to please critics who seem like they are prepared to shyt on anything dc does. On the other hand, alot of marvel movies keep having the same problem that they may never see a need to address since even their bad movies are praised as the best comicbook movie ever.

Critics and RT have been around FOREVER. And honestly, most don't people don't give a shyt about either.

My question is....why? Why would critics be biased against DC? They weren't biased 10 years ago when The Dark Knight was the best shyt ever.

A bad "safe" or "light" movie is generally going to see more favorable reviews than a bad "dark" movie. Or one that is trying so hard to be epic/important like BvS.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Critics and RT have been around FOREVER. And honestly, most don't people don't give a shyt about either.
Yes I know it's been around forever, but we are in the age of the internet where that shyt is popular. I don't know a single young person in real life that doesn't know what RT is. And yes, in this day where everything is hyperbole, score averages mean shyt to people.
My question is....why? Why would critics be biased against DC? They weren't biased 10 years ago when The Dark Knight was the best shyt ever.
Maybe because marvel didn't have a stronghold on the genre like it does now.

I don't know the reason, I can only assume it because they are not like marvel movies.
A bad "safe" or "light" movie is generally going to see more favorable reviews than a bad "dark" movie. Or one that is trying so hard to be epic/important like BvS.
SS was safe and light hearted, has a worse score than BVS.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Moving on to joker. I was concerned about how they used him with so much talk of deleted scenes but honestly had no problem with how he was used. He was a small sub plot and he had a beginning and an end in the story. It was short and simple.

I can definitely seeing people not liking the direction they went in but I loved the playboy gangster angle. It's a nice swerve from heaths. I think people just love joker so much that they can't handle him being a side character like this and just wanted him to be much more prominent. Personally I agree I wanted to see more but all his scenes worked for me. I'm eager to see leto again.

I enjoy the performance, for the most part....it's the character design that really annoys me. "Damaged" on his forehead is particularly grating, personally.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Alright just got back. I'm definitely seeing it again.

First, I think the editing critiscms are over blown but do have merit. And thats mainly because of the first I don't know ~20-30 minutes. It definitely was done poorly for me,especially the introductions. The scenes themselves worked,but they just didn't flow well. I thought once it moved past that though the editing was fine. It was smooth,it made sense and their wasn't a song being played every minute. It felt like 2 different editors. One that worked on that section of it and the rest. It was odd.

However,I really enjoyed the film. Will Smith nailed his role. Viola killed it. She really was the true villain of the film. Margot was amazing as well. Jay hernandez was the biggest surprise. I did not expect to like him and the character that much. The rest of the characters were just side characters to me. I wish jai got more screen time because he was great.

Enchantress and her brother sucked. No other way to say it. The brother looked straight out of the marvel villain bargain bin. Her motivations were muddy and thin at best. And personally the I'm trying to take over the world trope with a 1 note throwaway villain in comic book films needs to die. It's so overdone at this point it's just meaningless. Every fukking comic book film is suffering from this. All the studios need to step up. Problem is theirs just so many origin flicks still and typically studios use throwaways for the first film because they have to dedicate most of the film to the protagonists.

I was worried they'd have every character saying a quip every minute like a Marvel film but nah. It was typical blockbuster stuff but not over bearing like marvel.

I loved the bar scene. The flash backs all worked for me. The batman and flash cameos made me geek out. Most of the film worked for me except the beginning and the corny villain

7.5/10
The major issue is pacing.. Also seems like they cut 20 mins of the story.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
Yes I know it's been around forever, but we are in the age of the internet where that shyt is popular. I don't know a single young person in real life that doesn't know what RT is. And yes, in this day where everything is hyperbole, score averages mean shyt to people.

Maybe because marvel didn't have a stronghold on the genre like it does now.

I don't know the reason, I can only assume it because they are not like marvel movies.

SS was safe and light hearted, has a worse score than BVS.

Comic book films are a different breed. Fans live and die by the films critical reception. I've never seen anything like DC fans reaction to critics this year. They target negative reviews before they've ever even seen the film lol. It's nutty to me.

The vast majority of theater goers don't give a shyt about an RT score.

The Dark Knight films would still get great reviews if they came out now.

SS was NOT safe/light-hearted lol.

Brandeezy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
East ATL
TDK is the worst thing to happen to DC movies in general

The 1st question everyone wants to know when a new CBM comes out is it better or on par with TDK. TDK is a once in every 15-20 years event when it comes to CBMs, Nolan couldn't make another one even if his life depended on it.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Comic book films are a different breed. Fans live and die by the films critical reception. I've never seen anything like DC fans reaction to critics this year. They target negative reviews before they've ever even seen the film lol. It's nutty to me.
You've never seen anything like it because critics don't usually drag comicbook films through the mud like they have been doing, unless that shyt seriously deserved it (batman and robin)

Alot of it is because dc stans don't wanna admit that dc isn't putting out their best effort.

But some of the fans reaction is because they are starting to see the critics being unfare with these scores.

I was just in another thread saying that dc should just get out of the cinematic business because I truly thought them nikkas made another blade trinidy going by the early impressions. Bvs was a dud and I thought this movie was on that level, but I was surprised because the shyt was entertaining. More entertaining than a few marvel movies I saw because the critics called it the best shyt ever, only to be disappointed.
The Dark Knight films would still get great reviews if they came out now.

SS was NOT safe/light-hearted lol.

Only the dark knight holds up due to the joker.

Let's be honest begins had terrible editing, the fight scenes were headache inducing. Scarecrow was wack. Ra al goul was rushed and sloppy.

And I can pick rises apart for days.

If those to movies dropped right now, they would be sitting in the 20% range.