Suicide Squad (Official Thread)

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
question: why do the DC movies have to be 'great' to be enjoyed?....i'm seriously asking cause this isnt the first time i've heard someone say this....

ex: co-worker of mine saw the movie, when i asked him what he thought, he said and i quote 'it was good and i would tell others to see it, but since it wasnt great, i felt it was just ehh, ok'....so, even though he thought the movie was good and would recommend it to others, since he didnt think it was 'great', it went from good to just 'ehh, ok'?....

that's what i dont understand....it seems if the movie isnt 'great', nothing else matters and people wanna bash it, just look in this thread...some people really gave the movie 6-7 (which is considered good, at least a lil above avg, on a 10 scale), but they still bashed it like it was one of the worst movies they've ever seen and say shyt like 'it was ok....wasnt that bad....below avg'....that doesnt make sense to me....how is a 6-7 'below avg'? lol.....

and no, i'm not saying people have to like this movie...i've said time and time again that the only person you enjoy shyt for is yourself, so what you like/dislike is cool....it's just when you try to have a convo about it, their answers dont make sense......people will name more pros than cons for the movie, but still call it a shytty movie lol...or if someone says they just didnt like it and you ask them why, the answer they tend to give is 'i dont know, i just didnt' lol...there was a guy that said that exact thing when leaving the theater after watching it....he was with 2 other people, they asked if i liked it, i said i did...the other 2 said they did too, but their friend didnt...when i asked him why, his answer was 'i dont know, i just didnt'....that's the only thing you can say?...yet & still everyone wants to play professional critic though, smh....
Well everyone is different. It's not exclusive to DC films. That dude u asked at the theater maybe just felt the movie was underwhelming. There's nothing wrong with that and he was probably being honest. The climax of the film was pretty weak, and that sticks with a lot of people.

The main problem is, the trailers were pretty funny fukking dope. Most people on this board, even the marvel heads were like :gladbron::whoo::ohlawd:

So expectations are a motherfukker. So u thinking this will be a hands down classic and u get a leatherfaced version of the movie u thought u were going to see. So a 6.5 wasn't what we wanted.

So a lot of the fault is on our own delusion that WB is delivering a classic or close to classic. Not a generic, chopped up, joker spliced, belly flop of an attempt at a great action movie. Fooled us twice in one year.

But your co workers response was dumb. Yeah its good, but not really. Really?

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
no i don't, that's a problem i have with those movies too. batman shouldn't murder people period.

the only defense i would offer is that the violence in burton's movie was framed a lot differently. it doesn't have nearly the same impact because it was so much more cartoony and make believe. i mean come on the scene with the dynamite from batman returns might as well have been lifted from looney tunes. elfman's score while this is all happening sounds like it could belong in a bombastic circus.

the action scene in BVS feels very 'grounded' and 'real' in relation. it's more gritty. the villains are just normal swat guys, not faceless cartoon monsters in big ass skeleton masks or evil looking carnival clowns. there are no jokes or moments of levity during these sequences, just bone crunching violence. even hans zimmer's score, regardless of if you are a fan, suggests a kind of sternness to the whole thing.

just watching batman brutally stab that guy in the chest, i'm sorry but there's nothing like that in the burton movies. there's no violence that real to the touch.
So you re a fan of trivializing violence? And cold-blooded murder is cool with you as long as the scene and accompanying music is "whimsical" enough? Interesting.:sas2:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well everyone is different. It's not exclusive to DC films. That dude u asked at the theater maybe just felt the movie was underwhelming. There's nothing wrong with that and he was probably being honest. The climax of the film was pretty weak, and that sticks with a lot of people.

The main problem is, the trailers were pretty funny fukking dope. Most people on this board, even the marvel heads were like :gladbron::whoo::ohlawd:

So expectations are a motherfukker. So u thinking this will be a hands down classic and u get a leatherfaced version of the movie u thought u were going to see. So a 6.5 wasn't what we wanted.

So a lot of the fault is on our own delusion that WB is delivering a classic or close to classic. Not a generic, chopped up, joker spliced, belly flop of an attempt at a great action movie. Fooled us twice in one year.

But your co workers response was dumb. Yeah its good, but not really. Really?

true, it's not exclusive to DC films, just talking about it in relation to DC films cause they seem to get it a lot....if a DC film isnt great or live up to expectations the first time people see it, it's drug through the mud...where as people are more forgiving to other comic movies that arent DC....

....thanks for answering....

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Let's Be Honest, Jared Leto Was Never a Good Actor
jared-leto-joker_gihqe0.jpg

Let's Be Honest, Jared Leto Was Never Good
So we have reached apex of a$$holery with these click-bait (and I didn't click the link) think pieces about all aspects of Suicide Squad.
Regardless of what one thinks about Suicide Squad, Jared Leto is a good actor with actual acclaimed performances under his belt to back it up.

Da Rhythm Rebel

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Strong Island
Finally saw it yesterday - while it may not be the "worst movie of the year (BvS remains the crown holder) - the flick is extremely mediocre and i'm tapping out of the DC film universe until it gets course corrected.

Will, Viola, and Robbie were the film's saving grace. I actually enjoyed the first 20 minutes or so...it kept my interest. But fell apart after the 'squad' came together.

I won't even bother to rehash what i've seen covered in here, but I want to bring this up because I don't recall seeing anyone post this: the fact that the makers thought it was a good idea to use a song that was used in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (in pretty much the same manner in terms of what the respective teams were doing when the song played) is so shameful and embarrassing IMO, i'm quite surprised that hasn't been called out more.

The way the music was incorporated period into the flick was downright awful. They didn't even try to dig in the crates, just went with so many obvious choices. So weak.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The more I think about this the more I think it's another sign that WB just doesn't get it.

So, the fundamental basis for SS existing is fine, if a stretch of reason. But in this film, it's because "the next Superman might not share our values"...but isn't that kind of what these guys are already? Positioning them as a defense from SUPERMAN, or another ultra powerful meta-human, seems like a gross misunderstanding of their abilities.

I never read the SS comics, but it seems like they'd be better off positioning the Squad as a team to handle less public, less world ending threats...like a black ops team.

It's too bad the studio is screwing these movies up so badly despite pretty excellent casting and performances.
They actually are positioned to do both. The modern Suicide Squad in the comics was first deployed to do battle with a giant flaming monster from Apokolips. Waller then used them to handle covert missions or sent them on missions as a public super-villain team to accomplish a goal of the US government under the guise of just being a crew of bad guys working together.
So the Suicide Squad isn't just for low level secret missions or as a defense against rogue super-heroes. They are mainly whatever Amanda Waller deems them necessary to be for a given goal.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
true, it's not exclusive to DC films, just talking about it in relation to DC films cause they seem to get it a lot....if a DC film isnt great or live up to expectations the first time people see it, it's drug through the mud...where as people are more forgiving to other comic movies that arent DC....

....thanks for answering....
Yeah does seem like dc films get drug through the mud more so and some of it is deserved.

Marvel is the Jennifer Lawrence of comic book movies. Their golden child. Can do no wrong. Even though majority of their movies I have no use for, thor, thor 2, ant man, ironman 2,3, AOU.. The new dr. Strange has an inception inspired trailer and everyone is like OMG. So as of now, Marvel can do no wrong and DC is the little brother trying to hang out with the big brother. I do see a bias, but WB doesn't help by releasing sub par movies they swore would be masterpieces.

Superstar
Daps
Watching this Camrip, I take back my initial thoughts on Joel Kinnaman/Rick Flag. Dude kills it in some scenes but was sometimes another casualty of bad lines and writing

Daps
Reppin
NYC
So you re a fan of trivializing violence? And cold-blooded murder is cool with you as long as the scene and accompanying music is "whimsical" enough? Interesting.:sas2:

i said in my post i wasn't cool with batman killing, period.

but there still exists a distinction between real, grounded violence and make believe cartoon violence. in burton's batman when joker fries that crime boss with his hand buzzer you aren't appalled at the sight of a man being burned alive because it's portrayed in such an agreeable fashion. one moment the guy's face lights up red like a cherry and then the next moment he's a sitting corpse. there's really no emphasis on the savagery or brutality. it's cartoon violence just with heavier implications.

BVS is a completely different beast with it's realer depiction of violence, so seeing batman actually STAB that guy in the chest has much more of an impact.