Suicide Squad (Official Thread)

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No, the movie makes them look like anti-heroes, NOT villains. There is a fine line. Harley taking a purse while Midway City is ash is not villainous.

no it doesnt, it makes them look like villains....they all were arrested for doing villain shyt; the whole movie, they are still plotting on how to do villain shyt; etc....hell, the only reason they are doing the rescue mission in the first place to try to escape from prison or get time off their sentence....that's not anti-hero shyt....that's villain 'looking out for self, not others' shyt....like i explained in another post: their motivations/actions/etc is shown from a villain point of view.....the only reason people arent looking at them as villains is cause they are going against another villain threat....so in that case, to most people, someone has to be the 'good guy', so yall are looking at the lesser of the 2 evils as the good guy, even though the movie doesnt show them like that....

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Aight so Ayer's taking credit for how the movie's cut so as much as I don't believe him I'm going to have to go ahead and blame him cause there's no evidence to the contrary.

So thanks, Ayer. You fukked up :beli:

I don't know why he's falling on the sword for this. Maybe he's worried about funding for future projects? Sounds like WB has him by the balls
'Suicide Squad's' Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety

AUGUST 03, 2016 5:30am PT by Kim Masters

'Suicide Squad's' Secret Drama: Rushed Production, Competing Cuts, High Anxiety
suicide_squad_illo_by_jonathan_carlson.jpg

illustration by Jonathan Carlson
splashy Aug. 1 premiere in New York. Tracking indicates the film could open to more than $140 million domestically and potentially hand the studio its first unequivocal megahit since American Sniper's $547.4 million in December 2014. With March's Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice grossing $873 million worldwide but failing to impress audiences or reach the hoped-for $1 billion mark, Warners still urgently needs to jump-start its critical DC Comics universe, raising the stakes for Suicide Squad, which cost at least $175 million to make.

Yet if the villain team-up ultimately works — and it has drawn some harsh early reviews — it will be in spite of the kind of behind-the-scenes drama that is becoming typical for giant franchise movies that now are the main focus of the studio business: a production schedule engineered to meet an ambitious release date; a director, David Ayer (Fury), untested in making tentpole movies; and studio executives, brimming with anxiety, who are ready to intercede forcefully as they attempt to protect a branded asset. Often, efforts to fix perceived problems ratchet up costs, which drive anxiety ever higher. In extreme cases, such as Fox's troubledFantastic Four, the intervention is so aggressive that it becomes unclear what it means to be the director. (In each such case, studios are careful to stress that the credited director is on-scene and in charge, which is essential to avoid DGA issues. And the wise director plays along.)

So despite grueling moments, multiple editors and competing cuts, the production of Suicide Squad barely stands out in today's landscape. In a joint statement to The Hollywood Reporter, Ayer and Warner Bros. production president Greg Silverman say: "This was an amazing experience. We did a lot of experimentation and collaboration along the way. But we are both very proud of the result. This is a David Ayer film, and Warners is proud to present it."

Warners chief Kevin Tsujihara announced the project in October 2014 as part of a slate of 10 DC films stretching into 2020. Though the studio believed there was enough time to get the movie done, a source with ties to the project says it was a sprint from the start. "[Ayer] wrote the script in like, six weeks, and they just went," he says, arguing that the whole process would have benefited if Ayer, 48, had been given more time to work. But another source closely involved with the film says once it was dated, pushing back the release was not an option: "It's not just that you've told the public the movie is coming, you've made huge deals around the world with huge branding partners, with merchandise partners. It's a really big deal to move a tentpole date."

In Ayer, Warner Bros. enlisted a director who had never made a giant, effects-packed action movie. Hiring filmmakers who lack such experience is the trend, and it's often out of necessity. "There are a lot of people who don't want to direct those movies and that's a huge problem," says one producer with franchise experience. "A lot of the proven guys are back-to-back with their stuff, or they want to develop it for five years, and there's a machine that has to be fed. And there's the economics." Seasoned directors are expensive, meaning studios turn to those with less experience, relying on instinct that they will be up to the job. Sometimes it works (Colin Trevorrow on Jurassic World), and sometimes it doesn't (James Bobin on Alice Through the Looking Glass).

A source with knowledge of events says Warners executives, nervous from the start, grew more anxious after they were blindsided and deeply rattled by the tepid response to BvS. "Kevin was really pissed about damage to the brand," says one executive close to the studio. A key concern for Warners executives was that Suicide Squad didn't deliver on the fun, edgy tone promised in the strong teaser trailer for the film. So while Ayer pursued his original vision, Warners set about working on a different cut, with an assist from Trailer Park, the company that had made the teaser.

By the time the film was done, multiple editors had been brought into the process, though only John Gilroy is credited. (A source says he left by the end of the process and that the final editor was Michael Tronick.) "When you have big tentpoles and time pressure, you pull in resources from every which way you can," says this source. "You can't do it the way it used to be, with one editor and one assistant editor."

In May, Ayer's more somber version and a lighter, studio-favored version were tested with audiences in Northern California. "If there are multiple opinions that aren't in sync, you go down multiple tracks — two tracks at least," says an insider. "That was the case here for a period of time, always trying to get to a place where you have consensus." Those associated with the film insist Ayer agreed to and participated in the process. Once feedback on the two versions was analyzed, it became clear it was possible to get to "a very common-ground place." (The studio-favored version with more characters introduced early in the film and jazzed-up graphics won.) Getting to that place of consensus, however, required millions of dollars' worth of additional photography.

Other sources describe a fraught process — one cites "a lot of panic and ego instead of calmly addressing the tonal issue." Clearly all wasn't sitting right with Ayer, who in June suddenly dropped his longtime agent at CAA and defected to WME, though the agency won him back in a day. "He was under a lot — a lot — of pressure," says one person with knowledge of the situation, arguing that Ayer was exhausted and needed time to process conflicting ideas.

And there may have been other strains. Just weeks before the two versions were tested, Warner Bros. declined to ante up for Ayer's next project, Bright, which will reunite him with Suicide Squad star Will Smith. He ended up at Netflix, which made a staggering $90 million deal. Nonetheless, a day or two after Ayer fired and rehired CAA, another cut of the film was screened for a test audience, and sources say the results were strong enough that there was an upbeat plane ride back to Los Angeles.

Now the question is whether the film will deliver for an industry thirsty for something, anything, that will work in a summer bereft of live-action hits. Though reviews suggest the competing visions for the movie may have taken a toll (THR's critic calls the film "puzzlingly confused"), BTIG analyst Rich Greenfield says, "I've learned long ago there is not always a connection between reviews and box office and financial success." At the same time, it is imperative for Warners to build DC movies fans love like they do the Marvel pics.

Even on the day of the premiere, one insider fretted about whether Suicide Squad would mirror BvS' huge opening and weak legs. Another veteran says the goal is survival: "The movie's got to do $750 million, $800 million to break even. If they get anywhere close to that, they'll consider it a win."

how you feel is how you feel, and that's cool, i'm not trying to change that...i was just pointing out that the movie clearly shows them as bad guys, which you say it doesnt....will say: one thing that may blur that line and have people seeing it how you do is the fact that even though they are bad guys, they are grouped together to stop a larger threat....because of that, people are going to see them as 'heroes' (good vs bad), even though all their actions/motivations/dialogue says they arent heroes....

as for your spoilers:

doesnt matter if the guy was a snitch or not, deadshot's intro is of him murdering the guy for money, that's shyt a villain does....as for him not killing women/children: that's true to his character, and it doesnt take away from all the people he has murdered for money....would you say scarface from the movie 'scarface' wasnt a bad guy cause he had the same code? exactly....as for el diablo: you are correct, he is the only one that truly doesnt want to be a bad guy anymore...him killing his fam was his breaking point....that's why he didnt fight/use his powers until he was pushed/forced to...as for harley: the movie is true to the character....cause while yes, the joker does fukk with her mind to make her completely psycho, the bytch was always crazy, the joker was just always her excuse to let it out openly...and yes, she was shown as bad the whole movie...she helped joker escape from arkham, and was killing/fukking people up the whole movie...exs: did you not hear the guard say 'you put 5 of my men in the hospital the other day' nor did you not see her kill the guard with a shank when they came to get her for the squad?...as for croc: while the movie was true to the character, i'll give you that...he fukked people up and acted like a monster towards enchantress's army, but they never went all the way there with him...i'm talking about him 'threatening to eat people' there...

OK, everything you just said only confirms for me there was a lot of restraint in depicting these people as too bad to be redeemed for Toys R'Us consumer crowd. Which is why it was probably rated PG-13. But hey, you're right, we like what we like. If you enjoyed it cool. I mean like I said, if I was at home watching this while doing laundry or something, it would be a nice distraction. I just wouldn't tell any of my friends to pay to see this.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Which is really part of my issue... not so much as to how much they cut, but the reason why. They got Joker out there almost the most NOBLE of all the characters in the movie with the exception of El Diablo. Damn near all HEROIC. Had they added those scenes... it would of shown how sick in the head he really was.
Like I said breh. They are tearing this movie apart for some of the shyt that went down.

‘Suicide Squad’s’ Retrograde Misogyny: The Trials of Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
I wish we got more BatGOAT in the film. Not saying have him in a bunch of scenes or anything but have him monitoring stuff that was happening in Midway City or at least him being PISSED that he locked up Croc, Harley, and Deadshot but the government let them go to do some wetworks activity.

BStapies

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought it was good. Idk why its getting so much hate. Way better then BvS. Villian was meh but everyone villian is meh nowadays besides loki, winter soldier, bane and joker so I wasnt surprised or disappointed

Acting and action was good

Only knocks were the villian, some characters didnt really do anything and it shouldve been rated R with some gore.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Amanda waller is like a real life come to life person in this movie and is what a movie adaptation is supposed to be.
Harley Quinn = Margot Robbie if I was top drawing actor.
Her scene stealing ass would have to be in the movie or I just pick another movie. All cause Margot ain't playing and just went hog wild as Harley quin in this movie. She was literally Harley Quinn.
Both became their characters on film and I literally forgot Amanda waller was the how to get away with murder lady and she played a similar type of character.

Amanda waller is how I imagine if Oprah was a trained government cia official came to life. Completely not one fukk given about anybody and the best character not Harley Quinn in the movie.

Art Barr

brotha, you aint never lied when it comes to waller and harley...these adaptations were so true to the characters....the same for will as deadshot....i hope all of them have roles in the dcu going forward cause they killed that shyt....

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
About Deadshot....

How he have conflictions of being a killer, just want to be back with his daughter, but once the Enchantress put that spell about his biggest desire it was to kill Batman???

cause batman is the thing keeping him from his daughter...that scene was a continuation of bat arresting him...instead of standing down and getting arrested, he killed him and could go off with his daughter

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
brotha, you aint never lied when it comes to waller and harley...these adaptations were so true to the characters....the same for will as deadshot....i hope all of them have roles in the dcu going forward cause they killed that shyt....

Will brought his Hancock without the great white love interest fail to this movie. He was as good as why my daddy don't love me no mo fresh prince to Hancock before the great white love interest ruined Hancock.
Jared leto is also very good and kills croc actually steals scenes and his flat screen payoff scene is golden.

Art Barr

Last edited:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OK, everything you just said only confirms for me there was a lot of restraint in depicting these people as too bad to be redeemed for Toys R'Us consumer crowd. Which is why it was probably rated PG-13. But hey, you're right, we like what we like. If you enjoyed it cool. I mean like I said, if I was at home watching this while doing laundry or something, it would be a nice distraction. I just wouldn't tell any of my friends to pay to see this.

ok, and what's the problem with how they showed the characters?...not trying to change your mind, just trying to understand what else did you want to see for you to see them differently?...only things i can think of are over the top gore and language...

Last edited:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
cause batman is the thing keeping him from his daughter...that scene was a continuation of bat arresting him...instead of standing down and getting arrested, he killed him and could go off with his daughter

Which go against his conflictions to be a killer and his own daughter wishes not to kill. She stepped in his way to begin with and begged not to shoot him. Now he wishes that never happened and just go out like the vicious killer?

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Which go against his conflictions to be a killer and his own daughter wishes not to kill. She stepped in his way to begin with and begged not to shoot him. Now he wishes that never happened and just go out like the vicious killer?

he didnt have conflicts about being a killer, he just didnt want his daughter to see him as a piece of shyt like her mother described him as, which are 2 different things...hell, even when he was helping her with the math homework, he used bullets/guns/shooting at people to help explain angles lol....also, he was on his daddy dearest shyt....to him, if he kills the bat, he doesnt get arrested, and can be with his daughter, which is all he cared about...