Suicide Squad (Official Thread)

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
setting the tone in terms of setting up their version of a DC Superhero cinematic universe

i'm not sure (maybe i am wrong though) that they had plans in motion for their heroes in a connected universe when MoS was made

but IIRC it was after MoS but when BvS was announced, BvS was going to be the kick off to their connected universe

then a bit after that, WB announced via a press release all these movies with dates, some actors, and directors attached to them...before BvS even came out and from even back then on paper it seemed like they would have their work cut out for them just based on the order a lot of their films were coming out (a JL movie before any of those members had a proper solo introduction for example)

The deal was Goyer had an idea for doing a "Superman Begins" movie and pitched it to Nolan. Nolan was with it but didn't want to direct because he was done with directing comic book movies, Superman wouldn't be his kind of movie to direct and he was already invested in doing Interstellar. So he hired Zack Snyder (which we can argued WB insisted ) to direct because he liked his visual style which Superman needs. Snyder and Goyer had the complete creative freedom to do whatever they want with only Nolan giving okay for things they asked for as advice. All the controversial stuff was strictly Goyer & Snyder (like the Zod neck snap and shyt). Originally they wasn't going to do a DCEU, it was just going to be Man of Steel 2, but because of its commercial success, WB got greedy and wanted to build off of THAT film. Goyer already had things written for Man of Steel 2, but had to scrap it because they wanted to change it to BvS and signed in Chris Terrio to rewrite it. So you had TWO films shoehorned into one just to push a connected universe. So if you mean by that as setting the tone, all I would have to say with BvS would of been FINE had they allowed Man of Steel 2 go as originally planned setting up for BvS.

But with all that said, all that had NOTHING to do with Ayers. Ayers was approached by Geoff Johns to do a Suicide Squad film and said he would have his OWN total creative freedom to it. So all the creations of the characters in Suicide Squad came from HIS vision and not Snyder's or anybody else's. The only true connection was mostly from the re-shoots after BvS was completed so in order to universe build. But that's mostly just Easter eggs no different from how those Marvel Netflix shows made a haphazard mention of there be some Easter egg of something from the bigger MCU. But from how things are looking, Suicide Squad isn't suffering due to being SHOEHORNED into a bigger DCEU but rather than it is a BAD STAND ALONE FILM. BvS may have most of its fault mainly due to trying to force its own universe all into one FILM... but that has little to do with Suicide Squad. That's Ayer's vision and the tone that HE wanted to set, not Synder's.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
Suicide Squad was the last chance DC had this year
Now its onto WW and JL and if audiences and critics are set against them on arrival then the method behind these movies won't matter.
Clearly just making the movie lighter and marketing it differently won't help critics

Maybe its time to just hype the audience and the audience alone account for low critic scores for all films going forward.

Probably more so justice league, since WW finsihed filming b4 DC changed all the ppl in charge.

If it's getting meh to bad reviews it's probably great :blessed:

Place stock in a site where the force awakens has 92% brehs :russ:

Seriously though this just makes me want to see it more :heh:

If people that love garbage films don't like it that's only a good thing

TFA is rated only averaged a 8.2 on RT. The 92 isn't the score the movie recieved.

For those that go to /flim or listen to the podcast, David Chen's take of periscope: David Chen @davechensky
Says the characters for the most part is good, especially Harely/Deadshot. It was the editing that was very shyt.

Says Leto was a bad Joker and has very minimal effect on the film. Compared it to Lex on Bvs. Compared Jai to Eddie Redmayne in Jupiter Ascending bad.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
From what I gather it's mostly due to the reshoots. I'm sure @MartyMcFly will correct me if I'm wrong but from I've read the original film's tone (think the original teaser trailer from last year's Comic Con) was darker and bordering on an R-Rating. Then WB freaked out when BVS didn't set the world on fire and ordered Ayers to perform extensive reshoots and make the film lighter and more "Guardians-Esque". One review I read said the editing was so horrible that he actually couldn't WAIT to see a director's cut because they refused to believe Ayers had final say on the theatrical cut.

Call my name and I'll come running.

The initial rumor was yeah they wanted a lighter tone. Of course the director and others said that's BS and they went back to shoot more action scenes because they had the money so why not? So it really depends on who you believe and whatever makes cats feel better about what they see one way or the other

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They're complaining about the Joker not being the main bad guy:dwillhuh:

We knew this though. He's one character in a larger universe. Even in the Suicide Squad cartoon, he wasn't the main bad guy.

shyt on a movie portraying Harley Quinn as Harley Quinn brehs

The way this is looking... everything they're complaining about they gave a pass for Guardians of the Galaxy. I didn't see ANYONE complaining how limited THANOS was in that movie.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
From what I gather it's mostly due to the reshoots. I'm sure @MartyMcFly will correct me if I'm wrong but from I've read the original film's tone (think the original teaser trailer from last year's Comic Con) was darker and bordering on an R-Rating. Then WB freaked out when BVS didn't set the world on fire and ordered Ayers to perform extensive reshoots and make the film lighter and more "Guardians-Esque". One review I read said the editing was so horrible that he actually couldn't WAIT to see a director's cut because they refused to believe Ayers had final say on the theatrical cut.
:wow:

It's insane to me that these dudes like devin literally make shyt up and then the rest of these sites parrot the shyt and it becomes the prevailing narrative that's now ingrained in people's head.

David ayers said the reshoots rumours to add more humor was complete bullshyt.

Yet here we are. With these glorified fan boy reviewers continuing to parrot a false narrative.

DlAMONDZ

That pu$$y got me grinning
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Nah they just beat DC to the punch. DC waited too long. Had they just released one Batfleck solo I honestly think they would have more juice right now.
Pretty much

WB has no one to blame but themselves. They had these characters for decades and only decide to use them once Marvel is knee deep in their universe. Lots of people thought this universe wasn't going to get a fair chance after BvS was announced and I thought they were just paranoid, but reading some of the reviews I wonder why WB even bothers anymore

I refuse to believe this shyt is worse than Thor 2. That was some grade A Garbage. If TDK came out today no way it gets the same reception it did back in 08

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
The way this is looking... everything they're complaining about they gave a pass for Guardians of the Galaxy. I didn't see ANYONE complaining how limited THANOS was in that movie.
This.

This is why people give these reviews the side eye.

They give disney a pass for the same shyt they crucify other studios for.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Clearly never watched Batman or Superman the animated series or even Justice League :russ::russ::russ:Joker used to smack the shyt out of her:dead:"Critics" are just too soft in 2016. I'm ready for this shyt :demonic:

This is what I say to critics.....

tumblr_nhmfr00mRn1rraalgo6_250.gif

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps

If that reshootinf to make the film more lighter shyt is true I can see where the problem of the editing can destroy the movie.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From the same article:
Its plot is maddeningly circular, with the Suicide Squad getting activated to fight a frustratingly silly-looking antagonist who wouldn’t be around if someone hadn’t tried to put together the Suicide Squad.
Isn't this every Marvel movie:dwillhuh: