Suicide Squad (Official Thread)

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
You're ASSUMING it would've breh. That's a lot of assumption. Again, he got top billing it's going down as a flop for him not his son. I'm telling you perception and perception is everything don't kid yourself into thinking it's not when it comes to hollywood and fans.

It was a Jayden Smith film/vehicle not a Will in the starring role film:beli:. Of course Will by himself fighting alien creatures would have been hit when it's almost exactly what I Am Legend was:snoop:. Which was a hit.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It was a Jayden Smith film/vehicle not a Will in the starring role film:beli:. Of course Will by himself fighting alien creatures would have been hit when it's almost exactly what I Am Legend was:snoop:. Which was a hit.

Brett again, PERCEPTION is that it's a Will Smith vehicle with Shamylan at the wheel with a story by Will Smith so again you can slice it anyway you want but that's the perception. I Am Legend was 5 years ago like everyone else in this thread has said, Will needs a hit because the perception is that he just headlined a bomb that he also helped write which is double trouble. Hopefully the flick with he and Margot Robbie is good and does good for him

Conz

Superstar
Daps
So your saying "Hancock 2" would flop? I'm not understanding your argument. "Hancock 2" could be bigger cause a "Villain" wasn't introduced in the 1st film. They can also expand the mythology as they just scratched the surface, we could go to the planet they are from etc. I'm not saying it was a "Great" movie but it was refreshing to see a Black Superhero film succeeded that was Original and didn't need to piggyback off Marvel and DC to be a success.
Hancock sucked. no one talks about that movie anymore. it wouldn't flop, but it wouldn't come close to the original numbers, so there's almost no point of continuing that as a franchise

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Dude is bored doing the same ole shyt. And he probably is still kicking himself for turning down Django.

No he was smart to turn it down. Will wouldn't of been right for that role.

I can't believe people think a WILL SMITH staring film fighting Aliens in the Jungle wouldn't of blew the box office up even with M. Knight directing. But Will was sitting in a damn Chair doing NO action the whole movie. Of course Will Smith fans didn't turn out. Since when do Will Smith fans want to see an Action movie with him sitting down. It was Jaden movie, people just try to put it on Will cause it flopped.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Hancock sucked. no one talks about that movie anymore. it wouldn't flop, but it wouldn't come close to the original numbers, so there's almost no point of continuing that as a franchise

That's cuz they waited to long. Had Hancock 2 dropped about 3 years later it would still do big numbers. I think a sequel could still do very well. Again I posted the number, "Hancock" sh!tted on a ton of Marvel and DC films at the box office.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
No he was smart to turn

I can't believe people think a WILL SMITH staring film fighting Aliens in the Jungle would of blew the box office up even with M. Knight directing. But Will was sitting in a damn Chair doing NO action the whole movie. Of course Will Smith fans didn't turn out. Since when do Will Smith fans want to see an Action movie with him sitting down. It was Jaden movie, people just try to put it on Will cause it flopped.

Word? You really think he was smart to turn down Django? A movie that was a hit across the board, nominated for a couple oscars, and possibly would've gotten him another nod, all because he couldn't do his normal Will Smith thing in it? He wanted the role to be written flashier and he didn't get that so he passed. I feel like that was a bad move

And breh people are going to put it on Will because he was the headliner that's the way it works. Penalty of leadership. When the Bulls had an off night or didn't get it done, regardless of how Mike played, Mike got the blame. When the Heat lost in the Finals, despite the fact that basketball is a team game, LeBron got the blame...same with Kobe..same with any star athlete on any professional football or basketball team. When you are the main attraction, whether right or wrong, you get the blame when things go wrong and too much credit when things go good and Hollywood is no different. When the movie flopped, you weren't reading articles saying "Jayden Smith's After Earth Flops" you read "Will Smith's After Earth Flops."

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Word? You really think he was smart to turn down Django? A movie that was a hit across the board, nominated for a couple oscars, and possibly would've gotten him another nod, all because he couldn't do his normal Will Smith thing in it? He wanted the role to be written flashier and he didn't get that so he passed. I feel like that was a bad move

And breh people are going to put it on Will because he was the headliner that's the way it works. Penalty of leadership. When the Bulls had an off night or didn't get it done, regardless of how Mike played, Mike got the blame. When the Heat lost in the Finals, despite the fact that basketball is a team game, LeBron got the blame...same with Kobe..same with any star athlete on any professional football or basketball team. When you are the main attraction, whether right or wrong, you get the blame when things go wrong and too much credit when things go good and Hollywood is no different. When the movie flopped, you weren't reading articles saying "Jayden Smith's After Earth Flops" you read "Will Smith's After Earth Flops."

Ocscar Nod? Yeah that's funny cause none of the Black Actors in Django got nominated. I won't debate again why Will was right to not do the film, we debated it during the time heavy. But I think it was a smart move for him. He did "MIB III" which grossed more anyway. Will put his star power behind "After Earth" no doubt but it was Jaden's film. It's no different than "The Karate Kid", Will the Executive producer and got Jackie and the director. He just wasn't in it. "After Earth" was Jaden project with Will playing supporting. The reason Jaden got ZERO blame for "After Earth" is cause his Dad is a bigger target. When Will Smith or Tom Cruise flops It's WORLDWIDE NEWS, they are held to a different standard. When Robert Downey Jr or Johnny Deep flops, nobody cares. Robert for all his Iron Man and Johnny with Pirates and Alice can't sell movies outside of their "Hit" franchises. Will has proven to be able to make Original concept Blockbuster hits. "After Earth" was a miss but that's cause they made a mistake making it Jaden's movie. It should of been Will in that Jungle.

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ocscar Nod? Yeah that's funny cause none of the Black Actors in Django got nominated. I won't debate again why Will was right to not do the film, we debated it during the time heavy. But I think it was a smart move for him. He did "MIB III" which grossed more anyway.

That's cool I think it was the right move and Will would've gotten a nod cause his name is Will Smith and the Weinstein's would've pushed him.

But ok MIB 3 made more money worldwide but domestically they were pretty close..also Django didn't cost 225 million to make, and I do believe more people are going to be talking about Django years from now than talk about Men in Black 3 which was forgotten in this country as soon as it came out breh. It's the same reason the 5th Pirates movie has been such a slow ride for them to get done: Yes the movie made a lot of money but it made more money overseas than in the country where the studio assumes it will make more, they want it do well in America. It means there is apathy for one reason or another. Plus to compare it to Django, which again, was on a much smaller budget and therefore in a smaller amount of screens is not apples and apples.

I'm not saying that Will isn't a star and that he can't open a movie I'm saying that the last movie with his name on the market as the headliner didn't do well, regardless of the quality of the movie (which is trash) and his last movie didn't do well in this country which means there is an apathy there and when a studio estimates a movie is going to make a certain amount and it falls short, that's also something to consider because they definitely do. I feel like taking a calculated risk in an ensemble piece is a great move for him and I'm looking forward to it if he signs.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Brett again, PERCEPTION is that it's a Will Smith vehicle with Shamylan at the wheel with a story by Will Smith so again you can slice it anyway you want but that's the perception. I Am Legend was 5 years ago like everyone else in this thread has said, Will needs a hit because the perception is that he just headlined a bomb that he also helped write which is double trouble. Hopefully the flick with he and Margot Robbie is good and does good for him

After Earth was made by Will. However it was a Jayden film with Will on the side sitting on a chair and making faces. That's why the film tanked. Will pulled in the numbers for MIB3 a year before and they were ready to go with MIB4. No one was asking for MIB3 and it was 10 years late, but Will in a starring action role =$$$$$$$.

I can't believe people think a WILL SMITH staring film fighting Aliens in the Jungle wouldn't of blew the box office up even with M. Knight directing. But Will was sitting in a damn Chair doing NO action the whole movie. Of course Will Smith fans didn't turn out. Since when do Will Smith fans want to see an Action movie with him sitting down. It was Jaden movie, people just try to put it on Will cause it flopped.

:wow: M Night would still be making movies if it was just Will.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
After Earth was made by Will. However it was a Jayden film with Will on the side sitting on a chair and making faces. That's why the film tanked. Will pulled in the numbers for MIB3 a year before After Earth and they were ready to go with MIB4. No one was asking for MIB3 and it was 10 years late, but Will in a starring action role =$$$$$$$.

:wow: M Night would still be making movies if it was just Will.

Breh...again I HEAR you lol but you're missing the point: Perception says that's a Will Smith movie..No one is writing that Jaden Smith had a flop, they're writing that Will had a flop. If Steve Kerr or John Paxon missed those shots they took in the finals, no one would be saying "oh Steve Kerr or John Paxon lost the game" they'd be wondering why Michael didn't take the shots because he's Michael. When Will's name and face is on the poster and he gets top billing and he's the main one in the marketing, the perception is that it's his movie and that it will sink or swim based on his name. Whether that's fair or not, that's the reality breh. I'm not arguing that you're wrong I'm just giving you the other perspective of it and definitely the way hollywood looks at the shyt

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Will Smith could've been Neo in The Matrix, Cobb in Inception and Django. His box office legacy would be untouchable if he took those roles...:mjcry:

I'm saying..

Although I don't know if he would've been able to turn it down a couple notches for Neo. The movie needed Keanu and his ability to look dumb, play everything at level 5, and just have that look of a guy who has no idea what's going on and is trying to get his grip on it without being too emotional. Will would probably kill that now but I don't know if he would've in 98/99

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
That's cool I think it was the right move and Will would've gotten a nod cause his name is Will Smith and the Weinstein's would've pushed him.

But ok MIB 3 made more money worldwide but domestically they were pretty close..also Django didn't cost 225 million to make, and I do believe more people are going to be talking about Django years from now than talk about Men in Black 3 which was forgotten in this country as soon as it came out breh. It's the same reason the 5th Pirates movie has been such a slow ride for them to get done: Yes the movie made a lot of money but it made more money overseas than in the country where the studio assumes it will make more, they want it do well in America. It means there is apathy for one reason or another. Plus to compare it to Django, which again, was on a much smaller budget and therefore in a smaller amount of screens is not apples and apples.

I'm not saying that Will isn't a star and that he can't open a movie I'm saying that the last movie with his name on the market as the headliner didn't do well, regardless of the quality of the movie (which is trash) and his last movie didn't do well in this country which means there is an apathy there and when a studio estimates a movie is going to make a certain amount and it falls short, that's also something to consider because they definitely do. I feel like taking a calculated risk in an ensemble piece is a great move for him and I'm looking forward to it if he signs.

The "Men in Black" Trilogy will be remember. It stars Will Smith and is produced by Steven Spielberg, they will be playing it on TV forever. The only reason "Django" will be remembered is cause it's QT and it had controversy and ended up winning a few Oscars. I do think Will needs to open up his choices more and take more risk, there I agree with you but Will again is held to a different standard. Look how you yourself are accent probably the ONLY flop in his career in the last 20 years outside of "Wild Wild West". Again you see people harping on Downey about that flop "The Judge" or Johnny when he bombed with "Lone Ranger" and that sci-fi flick. No. Cause they aren't Will. Will needs to knock it out the park and "Focus" with it's February release date ain't that movie. Will needs to go back to the summer where he Belongs.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Will Smith could've been Neo in The Matrix, Cobb in Inception and Django. His box office legacy would be untouchable if he took those roles...:mjcry:

If he did Matrix and Inception, Good Lord. But I'm glad those went to Keanu and Leo. Will would of been a little goofy in the Matrix and I don't know if he would of fit in "Inception".

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I'm saying..

Although I don't know if he would've been able to turn it down a couple notches for Neo. The movie needed Keanu and his ability to look dumb, play everything at level 5, and just have that look of a guy who has no idea what's going on and is trying to get his grip on it without being too emotional. Will would probably kill that now but I don't know if he would've in 98/99

The biggest reason Keanu worked was he was the perfect "Fish out of water" character. As the audience we believed Keanu on his journey. Also he kinda fit the Japanese Animation vibe, he looked like an Anime Character. It clear the Wachoski's wanted Will cause most of the characters in The Matrix are Black. It's probably the BLACKEST sci-fi film ever. I always thought Jada got the part as a nod to Will not getting it. I feel like if Will was in it we would be waiting for him to smile or make a goofy joke when Mophrous is talking. It true, I love Will but sometimes his personality gets to be Bigger than the movies he in. In Matrix it was a team like movie where everyone needed to work together. Nobody was the Star. There was the BIG 3 like Star Wars and everyone fit perfectly.