Suicide Squad (Official Thread)

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
When's the last time Will has had a hit though man? He's had a couple flops in a row, Men in Black is over for him and the third one didn't do as well as he or the studio expected. And I think he's at the point in his career where he wants to do interesting things more so than just get paid. Normally once an actor has a couple flops in a row or at least notices their star isn't as bright as it used to, they move on to something else to see if that can spark them and this may be the spark

Men in Black III: 625 Million Worldwide

The studio was fine with those numbers. Also "After Earth" was Jaden's film, will was a co-star not the lead. And worldwide numbers saved it from being an all out flop. Will has not had "A Couple" of flops in a row. "After Earth" is really the only flop you can put on him in the last 6 years. He hasn't made anything else. "Focus" should do 100 Million easy and the worldwide numbers should be solid. Will is fine. It makes no sense for him to do "Suicide Squad" when he turned down "Independence Day 2" and still has "Hancock 2" and "Bad Boys III" in the wings.

Conz

Superstar
Daps
who the fukk wants Hancock 2? that's one of the biggest dropped balls of the decade. no point trying to fix it either.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
who the fukk wants Hancock 2? that's one of the biggest dropped balls of the decade. no point trying to fix it either.

Hancock: 624 Million Worldwide

This is a superhero movie that did this without an origin story or comic back to back it up. It sold strictly off Will's star power. That's why a "Hancock 2" would be a success. It's funny we all want a "Black Panther" or a Black Superhero film when Will crushed the buildings with an ORIGINAL Superhero film concept not tied to Marvel or DC. Hancock grossed more than several of Marvel and DC properties. So Hollywood needs to stop this myth that a Black Superhero film can't be successful without them being sidekicks.

Last edited:

Conz

Superstar
Daps
Hancock: 624 Million Worldwide

This is a superhero movie that did this without an origin story or comic back to back it up. It sold strictly off Will's star power. That's why a "Hancock 2" would be a success. It's funny we all want a "Black Panther" or a Black Superhero film when Will crushed the buildings with an ORIGINAL Superhero film concept not tied to Marvel or DC. Hancock grossed more than several of Marvel and DC properties.
it made that much money b/c it was a Will Smith blockbuster that sounded cool... it wasn't. it kinda sucks and I don't think it has too many fans. Will Smith could have opened anything for hundreds of millions at that time.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
When's the last time Will has had a hit though man? He's had a couple flops in a row, Men in Black is over for him and the third one didn't do as well as he or the studio expected. And I think he's at the point in his career where he wants to do interesting things more so than just get paid. Normally once an actor has a couple flops in a row or at least notices their star isn't as bright as it used to, they move on to something else to see if that can spark them and this may be the spark

Men In Black 3 was the highest grossing film in the franchise. it grossed 624 Million worldwide. DEFINITELY no flop.

After Earth flopped domestically, but made 243 Million worldwide. Will Smith is still a viable box office draw. He can headline his own franchise,

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
it made that much money b/c it was a Will Smith blockbuster that sounded cool... it wasn't. it kinda sucks and I don't think it has too many fans. Will Smith could have opened anything for hundreds of millions at that time.

So your saying "Hancock 2" would flop? I'm not understanding your argument. "Hancock 2" could be bigger cause a "Villain" wasn't introduced in the 1st film. They can also expand the mythology as they just scratched the surface, we could go to the planet they are from etc. I'm not saying it was a "Great" movie but it was refreshing to see a Black Superhero film succeeded that was Original and didn't need to piggyback off Marvel and DC to be a success.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

:whoa: Will's last 3 action movies/Blockbusters (I am Legend, Hancock and Men in Black 3) with him at the forefront have made almost $2B combined

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Man of Steel - 668 Worldwide
Iron Man part 1: 585 Worldwide
Thor part 1: 449 Worldwide
Thor 2: 644 Worldwide
Iron Man 2: 623 Worldwide
Cap America: 370 Worldwide
Cap 2: 705 Worldwide
Gardians: 701 Worldwide

Hancock - 624 Worldwide

I didn't add "The Avengers" or "Iron Man 3" cause obviously those were mega huge grossers but based on this Will has been actually stupid not to fast track a "Hancock" sequel as soon as possible.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
:whoa: Will's last 3 action movies/Blockbusters (I am Legend, Hancock and Men in Black 3) with him at the forefront have made almost $2B combined

People don't understand. Will took a break, he's been working non-stop for 15 years up until 2008 (94-2008) longer than that if you include his TV and music. He told Jada and his kids he would pull back. He's slowly getting back into the game now but what is this Myth people acting like Will has had flop after flop. Will just had a Record breaking Historic streak of 8 straight 100 Million films across several genre's including animation. "7 Pounds" ended the streak but that still did pretty good numbers for a dark drama. Yes "Focus" don't look greatest film ever but it still should do solid numbers for a Heist Romantic drama.

Last edited:

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

I Am Legend

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $256,393,010 43.8%
+ Foreign: $328,956,000 56.2%
= Worldwide: $585,349,010

Hancock

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $227,946,274 36.5%
+ Foreign: $396,440,472 63.5%
= Worldwide: $624,386,746

MIB 3

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $179,020,854 28.7%
+ Foreign: $445,005,922 71.3%
= Worldwide: $624,026,776

1.8 Billion Worldwide. Yep. When Will is the STAR of film and it's Action packed, it's a success. If "After Earth" consisted of Will Smith running through the Jungle it would of been a Hit.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I found the article about Will saying there is a clock on how many mor action flicks he will do. It is from an interview with the Mirror done last October.

Will Smith reckons he has only a few years left as an action movie star

After Earth actor thinks collaboration with son Jaden could be one of his last in the genre

Will Smith has admitted he doesn't have long left to be physically able to keep up with the action movies he made his name in.

The 45-year-old actor stars in After Earth - which has been panned by critics - with his son Jaden, 15, and he conceded it's almost time to close the curtain on his adrenaline-fueled blockbuster career.

He told Digital Spy: "You know, what I realised on this movie is like the full-on wild, running, jumping action movie - I probably have just a few more years of those left.

"So, probably…another two or three of those and settle."

So Will isn't quite turning his back on the genre that made him a star through films like Men In Black and Independence Day.

However, he has become more focused on telling an engaging story and wants to take risks in his output.

He added: "For me, I love to create. There's something about making movies that just really gets me excited.

"It's not the movie-making probably as much as the storytelling. I love people being wrapped in a story and being able to deliver that emotional punch line at the end of the story.

"I've been really focused and it's been an absolute necessity that the movie be a blockbuster - but I think I'm gonna start moving out of that and finding more danger in my artistic choices."

Earlier this year it was speculated that Will could be set to return to TV as part of a collaboration with Calvin Harris about a rags to riches DJ.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/smith-reckons-only-few-years-2369869

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
To be fair, a Green Lantern movie really wouldn't be anymore tasking on him physically than an Iron Man movie is for 49 year old Robert Downey imo. Most of it would probably be cgi of him flying and making faces of deep concentration in 'fight scenes' while grabbing his wrist. Other than that, it'd be him talking to aliens like kilowag/other green lanterns in a borderline men in black type of way. So I don't think it'd be as strenuous as say bad boys or even men in black.. or even suicide squad since all those characters are more grounded/ human and have to get more physical in a confrontation.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Talkin domestically breh not internationally and EVEN then, I'm talking his last movies..don't sit there and try to incept After Earth out your head
I Am Legend

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $256,393,010 43.8%
+ Foreign: $328,956,000 56.2%
= Worldwide: $585,349,010

Hancock

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $227,946,274 36.5%
+ Foreign: $396,440,472 63.5%
= Worldwide: $624,386,746

MIB 3

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $179,020,854 28.7%
+ Foreign: $445,005,922 71.3%
= Worldwide: $624,026,776

1.8 Billion Worldwide. Yep. When Will is the STAR of film and it's Action packed, it's a success. If "After Earth" consisted of Will Smith running through the Jungle it would of been a Hit.

So we're not talking After Earth?? and lets take into account that MIB 3 cost 215 from a production standpoint plus another couple 100 mil in promo. The studio wasn't TOO thrilled with the returns is what I'm getting at especially from a domestic standpoint. When the movie doesn't make what the studio expected, they consider it a disappointment.

I am Legend was in 07 man and Hancock was in 08. MIB 3 wasn't as huge as they bet it would be especially in this country when it makes less than its budget by a longshot and After Earth was a flop. If Will really felt how you all feel, he wouldn't be talking to WB right now. Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter aren't some tabloid rags just trying to get hits, these are connected industry publications

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Men In Black 3 was the highest grossing film in the franchise. it grossed 624 Million worldwide. DEFINITELY no flop.

After Earth flopped domestically, but made 243 Million worldwide. Will Smith is still a viable box office draw. He can headline his own franchise,

Breh don't just look at the worldwide numbers when the studio assumes it will make more here. That's my point. Did it make money? Yes. Did it make as much as Will or the studio wanted it to, especially in this country where Will is a freaking icon? No and that's the point. When a studio forecasts a 90 mil opening weekend on memorial day weekend and it makes around 70 mil, that's a disappointment. I'm not saying dude is terrible, not saying he isn't a star, but what I am saying is that he isn't OPENING flicks to a high degree anymore in the past 2 years like he was from the late 90s up till the late 2000s.

And again, if he felt how you all felt that this is "beneath" him and he doesn't need to do it, then he wouldn't be having discussions. And regardless of whether After Earth was his movie or his son's, his name got top billing, he was the big star, so perception says it's on his shoulders, not the kid. He wants a bounce back from that and this is a good way to do that. Nothing wrong with it

Last edited: