Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Posted this on my other board:
Went to see Straight Outta Compton yesterday and really enjoyed it. The nostalgia is extra strong on it, it really captures the 90's and the essence of hip hop at the time; where everyone had a point of view of their own and a distinct voice, where there was some message hidden in the lyrics even if it was going misunderstood like NWA's. The movie does a GREAT job of making that clear, that NWA was making music that was fairly misunderstood by the media and white America. It does that by juxtaposing the early life experiences of Eazy E, Dre and Cube over the songs (and behaviors) that relate to their experiences. It takes a really strong POV on police treatment of minorities that might turn some off, but serves to really say "look, when they were saying this stuff you thought they were exaggerating and glamorizing the issue" but the images and comments are so closely connected to the Black Lives Matter movement that it's damn near impossible to deny that these guys were on to something (they put the Rodney King situation in play as a way to sort of connect Dre, Cube and Eazy after they all split up but it also illustrates what their lyrics were claiming).

As for the fun stuff, you really get a glimpse of how things came together for these cats. Cube and Dre are treated as geniuses and visionaries (which could be because of their bigger input on it but it's not like it's far from truth with their success), but Eazy gets his respect and props too, they were pretty fair to him. If anything, Yella and Ren get a bit of the shaft on this. Watching the songs come together (not just NWA tracks, but Pac and Snoop coming into the booth with Dre too and No Vaseline gets pretty much a full play with everyone reacting) is a damned pleasure. They make Jerry Heller and Suge Knight the obvious villains and really stomp on them, which I can't say isn't deserved but it's clear that this was a one sided treatment of the story. They do gloss over some of the negativity, but this is a movie paying homage to their impact so I didn't mind. The tragedy of Eazy E's life ending is really well played too as well as the "what could have been" that probably sticks with every member to this day and really seemed to dominate Eazy in his life after Heller. I really enjoyed it for the nostalgia and fact that they drew connections to today with some subtlety. I can see a new generation bumping NWA tracks with a recognition that this was a voice for the culture that still has relevance today. It could be bias though, I won't lie, but I'll probably go see it again.

Also, Ja Rule sat next to my squad while we were there which was just some random ish but made the part where they're working on Hail Mary that much more interesting (like that instrumental prolly reminds this dude of the diss track lol).

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
How was the dude that played Pac, and how long was Pac in the movie

See the quote below. I totally agree

Pac in the movie for 2 minutes. But the guy who played Pac was way better than Anthony Mackie. To be honest, that probably is the best version of Pac we've seen. Not sure if that's the guy you want to star in the 2PAC movie though. But he did well with what little time he was given.

Yes!

Oh and one of my favorite scenes is "No Vaseline" and the way Jerry Heller found a way to make it all about him and Jews. Gray's ability to show a CaC CaCing was a thing of beauty. :banderas:

I actually raised my hands in the air when that scene started.:heh: What's sad though, is that most of the audience was under 30, and no one was bopping their head. It was almost like they'd never heard of that song :dahell:

I'm surprise nobody is talking about how the dude that played snoop looks nothing like him...he looks like k-ci :mjlol:

LOL! Yup, when he was introduced, me and my husband looked at each other like :rudy:

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yea, F. Gary Gray is def gonna release the director's cut. I hope that cut goes more into the DEATHROW VS. Ruthless beef. That's really all that was missing.

What I love is this movie isn't gonna just be contained to an Urban demo. Any race can feel this movie. These guys were heroes of our generation and changed the music business forever and helped bring Gangsta Rap genre into the spotlight after ICE-T and really ran with the ball.

I'm just relieved this movie wasn't corny. I also liked how they showed these guys had a sense of humor, they weren't trying to be gangsta 24/7. They represented them like real people. I think this is a situation where having the real life subjects i.e. CUBE & DRE really elevated the material.

This movie is gonna make a shytload of money. And open the door for that 2pac biopic the world has been craving. They should bring a seasoned producer like ICE CUBE on board the 2pac project. Who will help protect the integrity of the film. It doesn't matter Cube didn't really know 2pac like that, Cube will make sure the right people are advisers on the film and help make sure it's authentic.

Last edited:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A favorite scene of mine is the press conference after the concert in Detroit. The lady asked Cube what does a poor young man from Compton buy after he struck it big. The realization that he can't answer that question because he's been getting jerked he jokes about buying Raider gear with his money

Last edited:

swampfox

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
First of all this thread should be stickied on a hiphop forum. Secondly, this was a dope movie. One of the best if not the best hiphop biopic to date...F Gary Gray did a superb job with the story telling. Made the movie very human and universal to the story of man vs that powers that be. All the NWA characters did a good job. The guy that played Eazy probably did the best, but then again Eazy was always the wildest of the group.

Daps
A favorite scene of mine is the press conference after the concert in Detroit. The lady asked Cube what does a poor young man from Compton buy after h struck it big. The realization that he can't answer that question because he's been getting jerked he jokes about buying Raider gear with his money

I thought that was a poignant shot directly at Eazy, cuz Cube ain't from Compton and E was wearing a Raiders hat at the time...I could be wrong tho...