Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
hype as fukk to go see this, but there is something about Cube's son that really pisses me off :ehh:

For a first time actor, he did a solid job. I understand why they couldn't cast Eazy's son, Eazy and Dre were the focus of the story and they needed real actors to play those parts.

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Eazy-E was the best thing about the movie. I thought homie who played him was a good actor. Cube's son was wooden, and the guy who played Dre was OK, but nothing stood out about him.

it kinda fell apart to me in the last hour to me because the timeline wasn't consistent, and they didn't hit parts I think they should have, eg: Dre Day/Muthafukkin G's..

Last edited:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
We enjoyed it. Great acting, decent dialogue, and a new fresh perspective on a few under-discussed situations. I thought they could have done a better job on tying up some loose ends and exploring a few stories/characters, but overall, it was really good.

Two thumbs up.

Oh and Suge Knight is scary as fukk. I can't wait until someone write a real bio on him.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Just saw it and it was dope. I felt all the actors did a great job. Some people are saying that Cube's son was stiff. I didn't really see that. He looked and sounded just like Cube. Had all the mannerisms down. He was no more stiff than his father is.
:umad:cube never sounded like he was from the burbs

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
The first half of the movie is AMAZING and it looked like we were headed for a classic biopic then it turned into a complete clusterfukk and fell off a cliff around the time NWA broke up.......and the Death Row era started.

I'm honestly disappointed because the first half of the movie really was that good.....it showed what made NWA revolutionary.....then it's like the movie gets too ambitious and forgets what story it wants to tell.

The era between 92-95 (and 96) is just completely blurred.....it's just all over the place.

Straight Outta Compton felt like the epitome of the phrase, "History is written by the victors." as opposed to the raw truth.....You can feel the guiding hands of it's executive producers, Dre, Ice Cube, Tamika Wright......it paints them in the best light but not the way that would make for the best story......meanwhile they completely assassinated Suge's character (made him look worse off while not taking the time to address many of their own flaws....I left the theater feeling bad for Suge, thinking he had every right to approach them for how they portrayed him in this movie)

There's too much omitted for what they tried to make it be....If they wanted to cover this much maybe they should have done a 4 part HBO special or some shyt.

There were scenes in this movie that weren't necessary to their story at all.

Ending was cheesy as fukk, typical Hollywood end for an unconventional rap group....

I can gather my thoughts a little better on this tomorrow.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
Eazy-E was the best thing about the movie. I thought homie who played him was a good actor. Cube's son was wooden, and the guy who played Dre was OK, but nothing stood out about him.

it kinda fell apart to me in the last hour to me because the timeline wasn't consistent, and they didn't hit parts I think they should have, eg: Dre Day/Muthafukkin G's..

We're on the same page all the way through breh....from Eazy E to the last hour.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Movie was 9/10. This thread needs to be stickied. This is a hip hop forum. This BLOWS NOTORIOUS out of the water. We need that 2PAC movie ASAP. And they need to get F. GARY GRAY or ANTOINE FUQUA on board it.

I agree the third act wasn't as strong as the first 2 acts. But the first 2 acts were fukking incredible. The kid who played EAZY fukking killed it. He should be nominated for an Oscar. I'm dead serious. Cube's son was on point. He did a good job and repped his pops well. Lowkey YELLA was killin it. Always cracking jokes at the right time.

They need a better Suge Knight for the 2pac movie. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't as menacing or charismatic as Suge was.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Movie was 9/10. This thread needs to be stickied. This is a hip hop forum. This BLOWS NOTORIOUS out of the water. We need that 2PAC movie ASAP. And they need to get F. GARY GRAY or ANTOINE FUQUA on board it.

I agree the third act wasn't as strong as the first 2 acts. But the first 2 acts were fukking incredible. The kid who played EAZY fukking killed it. He should be nominated for an Oscar. I'm dead serious. Cube's son was on point. He did a good job and repped his pops well. Lowkey YELLA was killin it. Always cracking jokes at the right time.

They need a better Suge Knight for the 2pac movie. He wasn't terrible, but he wasn't as menacing or charismatic as Suge was.

F Gary Gray said he got a 3 hours directors cut, so maybe the 3rd act problems could be remedied? a lot of time, studios force directors to chop that shyt to pieces.

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
As much as I loved the scene with Ice Cube getting angry about his contract with Priority Records and taking a baseball bat and destroying the office.....it wasn't needed. They could have just taken out his interactions with the head of priority and had Ice cube go solo and be successful without showing us that. How was that more important than Dre Day/Real Muthafukkin G's Eazy & Ruthless vs Death Row Beef? That's legit mind boggling to me....

To me, Ice Cube's story could have damn near ended with him leaving NWA, dissing NWA & blowing up after going solo.....maybe have him connect with Dre at some point and how he's doing movies now (Friday....and he needed a Dre track for the soundtrack-Keep Their Heads Ringin") and then bring him back in for the club scene meeting with Eazy....They didn't make the best use of time considering how long this movie was. 2pac's scene wasn't needed either considering his run in 95/96 was after Eazy died (they also fukked the sessions up, had Pac recording Hail Mary in 1995 before recording California Love, that didn't happen like that....Hail Mary was recorded in 96) I know 2pac got out of jail in 95 but it was pointless.....

Dre meeting his wife Nicole wasn't a necessary scene either....like WTF? Why was that scene even there when Dre smacking Dee Barnes isn't......like it's really a total joke.

They showed Dre get pulled over n his Ferrari and caught on the highway but changed it around to make it look like he was just driving fast after a fight with Suge when in reality he was just racing his car, drunk one night.......he got home to his garage and couldn't find his remote....then the cops caught him. That lead to him violating his probation and having to do time in jail......which made him reevaluate his life and the situation at death row and decide that he wanted to go a more positive direction.

In general, I feel like this movie gave us Andre Young and not Dr. Dre.....for a period from say 1991 to 1995 I feel like Dre lost himself in his Dr. Dre character (beating up Dee Barnes, partying out of control (beating people up), he assaulted a police officer in a new orleans hotel, he assaulted a record producer in 1992 breaking his jaw (The Violent Art, Violent Reality of Dr. Dre : Rap: The producing genius behind pioneer rap group N.W.A. is no stranger to the inside of a courtroom.)

"I don't ever go out looking for trouble, it just seems to follow me," says Andre Young, a young man who knows the inside of a courthouse.

He once hit a New Orleans policeman during a hotel lobby brawl there. On another occasion he roughed up a TV talk-show host, slamming her into a wall of a Hollywood nightclub. A former associate charges that Young once hired thugs to threaten him, and a local record producer claims Young busted his jaw.

Dre is due in court in Van Nuys this afternoon. He has pleaded not guilty to assaulting Woodland Hills rap record producer Damon Thomas, who claims Dre broke his jaw with a single punch last May.

"1992 was not my year," Dre quips.

* Next month in New Orleans, Dre could receive up to 18 months in jail stemming from an October case in which he pleaded guilty to battery of a police officer and was convicted on two additional battery counts stemming from a brawl in the lobby of the New Orleans hotel last May.

He was convicted in both cases, received a fine, probation and a 60 day house arrest....

Dr. Dre also ended up getting shot in the leg....

They made it seem like Dr. Dre didn't initially revel in this lifestyle before finally realizing the error of his ways when shyt got too hot...........They made dude look like a saint.

Last edited: