Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Why do people even care if this gets nominated for an Oscar? shyt is the wrong fight to be picking honestly. This is a great movie and it's good to see hip hop represented properly on the big screen but I give zero fukks about an Oscar. This aint the Malcolm X movie my nikkas. :snooze:
I'm only behind the buzz in hopes of it helping to further the careers of the young actors in this movie. wish there were some young black actresses benefitting...but I'll take what I can get :francis:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I was young when NWA was poppin so I have a question for the older cats...

What was Yella's role in the group? Because the entire movie I was like "WTF does this nikka do?!?!" :mindblown:

I also didn't really understand DOC's part either. And was he drunk driving? They kinda made it seem like he was. :patrice:
Yella also helped with some production, but dude got in on the c/s of dre, basically ain't no fun if the homie can't have none. DOC wrote for them early on, continued to write for dre during death row days and also helped snoop early on as far as helping him navigate the industry. And yes, it's speculated he was drunk driving when he got in that accident IRL

Last edited:

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
fukk this Dee Barnes discussion. It's obviously racially motivated to try to quell Oscar considerations. Y'all can't see this? :dahell:

Dee Barnes is a useful idiot, and I say that disagreeing with the original casting calls. She's on her Anita Hill against Dre's Clarence Thomas ... Another nikka with issues who married a white broad.

Dee is right it shouldn't have been glossed over, but her approach is wrong.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos

What was Yella's role in the group? Because the entire movie I was like "WTF does this nikka do?!?!" :mindblown:

I also didn't really understand DOC's part either. And was he drunk driving? They kinda made it seem like he was. :patrice:
He was the DJ and did some producing with Dre. And also some behind the scenes stuff. You have remember DJ's had a bigger role in rap back then. If your DJ wasn't shyt, you wasn't shyt.

Example, look at how some groups and had the DJ's name first: DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Eric B. & Rakim, etc.

NWA had two DJ's, DJ Yella and Arabian Prince (he's the 6th guy on the NWA Straight Outta Compton album cover). Like Lonzo Williams, Prince didn't like the music being so hardcore so he quit the group. He was only involved in one song (something 2 dance 2).

Yea, DOC was driving drunk. When Luke dissed Snoop and Dre on Cowards in Compton, he mentioned it on the b-side of that tape ("don't drink and drive cuz it may affect your muthafukkin' voicccce"...then he starts laughing).

Eazy also dissed DOC on that Penthouse record that he did with DJ Quik: ("I trust no car wreckin bytches this one's for you Tracy"). DOC's name is Tracy Curry.

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
The scene cut out of SOC.

“Saw that shyt you did with Cube. Really had you under his spell, huh? Ate up everything he said. Let him diss us. Sell us out.”

“I just let him tell his story,” Barnes’ character retorts, “That’s what I do. It’s my job.”

“I thought we were cool, you and me,” Dre fires back. “But you don’t give a fukk. You just wanna laugh at N.W.A, make us all look like fools.”

The conversation escalates, Barnes throws her drink in Dre’s face before he attacks her “flinging her around like a rag-doll, while she screams, cries, begs for him to stop.”
Dr. Dre's Assault on Dee Barnes Was Included in <i>Straight Outta Compton</i> Screenplay Draft

Sidenote: I never knew they dated for a short time. :ohhh:

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
if they played the 3rd verse of no vaseline, media would have shytted on this movie cause of the things it says about jews. cube aint diss dre and ren that hard, but eazy and jerry? that shyt made ether look like an r&b song. that last verse might be the hardest diss ever. house nikka? hang him froma tree on some lynching shyt? bullet in a jews temple? cube souned like cornel west talkin bout obama:mjlol:

anyone feel ythe dude laying pac teeth was fake? them shyts was big as hell.

Groanman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
THREE-OH-FIVE TILL I DIE
this wasnt even the most egregious error.

Dre had on an all black Dodgers fitted with the new era sign in 1986 :what:

I know you couldnt wear colors in LA back then, but :what:
11870631_10207376503354624_5936933631387828694_n.jpg

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

DJ Yella was co-producer and main DJ for the group.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
On a side note it would've been nice to see a small quick scene of Easy signing the Black Eyed Peas. Cube with Yo Yo, Del, etc. I know Dre was an executive producer but damn homie.. Instead of SOC, the movie could've easily been called "Dre Day":patrice: