Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

Daps
I enjoyed the movie and all but I am sitting here completely :dahell:with all this talk about this being a classic and Oscars and shyt.
This was basically one of them VH1 docu-dramas like The Temptations movie except with profanity and nudity. Now I enjoy a good cornball docu-drama immensely and I liked Straight Ouuta Compton, but to call it a classic film is stretching things.

Gotta disagree. This film deserves all the accolades it's receiving and deserves award consideration. Loved the Temptations, but this felt like a major motion picture every bit as much as a Walk the Line.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I had a great time during this shyt. One of my favorite films this year, even though it has problems.

The first 1:30-45 was damn near perfect. The formation of the group, the tour, the infighting and the diss tracks.....:lawd:

But the last act felt really stretched out. I don't think the film needed "cameos" from Snoop or Pac...especially when they couldn't show even a little love to No One Can Do It Better....and I felt they really drug out E's sickness.

Still, will definitely own at some point.

qnsfinest

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
Finally saw the movie, loved every minute. Great cast, everyone played their parts perfectly. I didn't mind the snoop appearance but the pac appearance was definitely unnecessary. The hospital scene definitely was touching. Loved the recording of no vaseline.

But I'm torn on something need some input.
In my opinion half the audience had no business being at the movie, they have no idea about the history or culture of hiphop and they can never relate to the NWA or that era of music. They will never understand the meaning behind "fukkthepolice". Its not just a song.

But part of me feels, I didn't live in the era of william wallace or maximus but those are one of my favorites. So I'm glad people got to experience that era and the impact that it had, not just an impact in music

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Gotta disagree. This film deserves all the accolades it's receiving and deserves award consideration. Loved the Temptations, but this felt like a major motion picture every bit as much as a Walk the Line.
some muthafukkas on here in disbelief and shyt... like, OH... a RAP black movie? with BLACK characters?!
OH shyt!! OH shyt!! Nah... Nah!! This is crazy! Crazy crazy crazy!!!!"
shyt SHOULD be up for an award
fukk all that
id respect the academy fpr just nominating this shyt here

duck

Bills Mafia
Daps
Reppin
buffalo ny
Drake

The heroic underdog story of a humble kid from Canada who started from the bottom and made it big in America :troll:
Get the fukk outta here with that bullshyt. Drake dont even deserve to be mentioned in this thread

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Finally saw the movie, loved every minute. Great cast, everyone played their parts perfectly. I didn't mind the snoop appearance but the pac appearance was definitely unnecessary. The hospital scene definitely was touching. Loved the recording of no vaseline.

In my opinion half the audience had no business being at the movie, they have no idea about the history or culture of hiphop and they can never relate to the NWA or that era of music. They will never understand the meaning behind "fukkthepolice". Its not just a song.

But part of me feels, I didn't live in the era of william wallace or maximus but those are one of my favorites. So I'm glad people got to experience that era and the impact that it had, not just an impact in music
I respectfully disagree. I think young black people especially can definitely relate to the scenes of them being harassed by the police, and why they made fukk The Police. Some of the people going to see it e.g. late 90's early 2000's babies probably remember Dre & Cube more for being a producer/Beats by Dre and actor/writer. They probably grew up hearing about NWA and through this movie get to see how it all began. The fact that it made over 50 mil means it crossed over to people who wouldn't normally see this type of movie. I saw it with a pretty diverse crowd and they enjoyed it as far as I can tell. With the internet there's no reason they couldn't fill in any gaps the movie might've left out.

Jesus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NZ

I respectfully disagree. I think young black people especially can definitely relate to the scenes of them being harassed by the police, and why they made fukk The Police. Some of the people going to see it e.g. late 90's early 2000's babies probably remember Dre & Cube more for being a producer/Beats by Dre and actor/writer. They probably grew up hearing about NWA and through this movie get to see how it all began. The fact that it made over 50 mil means it crossed over to people who wouldn't normally see this type of movie. I saw it with a pretty diverse crowd and they enjoyed it as far as I can tell. With the internet there's no reason they couldn't fill in any gaps the movie might've left out.

I'm pretty sure he is referring to the WHITE PEOPLE who were watching the movie....because younger blacks can especially understand the "fukk The Police" mentality. :birdman:

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I'm pretty sure he is referring to the WHITE PEOPLE who were watching the movie....because younger blacks can especially understand the "fukk The Police" mentality. :birdman:
I figured as much but from my experience seeing the movie with a pretty diverse crowd, they enjoyed the movie. They were some of the ones I saw tear up during the Eazy in the hospital scenes. Like I said most young kids especially white kid's, more than likely only know Dre & Cube from the things they've done in the last decade or so.

Interloper

Lurker Extraordinaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 219
Pretty diverse crowd at the showing I went to as well...even little babies were interested in the film.:ohhh: Low key, I thought Dre brought his kid along to the studio when they were recording Boyz n the Hood, but it turns out it was just a fussy baby in the crowd.:martin: Alamo Drafthouse is looking like a real good option for now on.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
nah I looked into it. It's Eazy's kid Henree. The rest of the siblings didn't know about her until around 5 years ago. Apparantely Ree's mom was a stripper in ATL that E knocked up. Her and Erin (EB) been beefing on twitter for a few years cause EB dosent acknowledge Henree as her real sister :manny:
Oh I see. So Eazy had 8 kids and not 7. I think the others all live in L.A.

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
only thing i worry about with the next hip hop biopic is a company that make the budget too much in an attempt to have them fail and be on some see there's no market for this

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
for people in here who saw the movie with white people in the crowd... like, do you watch them and shyt? like keep a close eye on one particular white muthafukka or just scan the crowd? and if you do... why you care what these white muthafukkas think or feel?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
for people in here who saw the movie with white people in the crowd... like, do you watch them and shyt? like keep a close eye on one particular white muthafukka or just scan the crowd? and if you do... why you care what these white muthafukkas think or feel?

They were in the crowd in the theater I saw. Really didn't give a shyt lol. Glad everyone enjoyed the movie:whoknows: