Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

jackswstd

Retired
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Great biopic about one the most influential and legendary groups of all time. Cube Jr. is the spitting image of father from the looks, to the mannerisms etc.. I couldn't see anyone else playing Cube better. I think the actors portraying Eazy and Dre were great also IMO, Yella had me :laff: in all his scenes from trying to fukk the club owners girl, to admitting Cube destroyed them on No Vaseline.

That scene when Eazy found out he had aids and the subsequent scenes with Ren, Yella and Dre visiting him were :sadbron: a few people in the theater were crying during that. I found myself rapping along to all the songs when they played throughout the movie. Suge was no different than Jerry Heller IMO.

It's crazy how close the NWA reunion was to actually happening. I had no issue with them leaving out Dre Day and Real Muthafukkin G's. Most of us know what went down, and those that don't more than likely got the jist of it from the shyt with Cube and Eazy being beat up.

I give it a 5 out of 5.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
I enjoyed the movie and all but I am sitting here completely :dahell:with all this talk about this being a classic and Oscars and shyt.
This was basically one of them VH1 docu-dramas like The Temptations movie except with profanity and nudity. Now I enjoy a good cornball docu-drama immensely and I liked Straight Ouuta Compton, but to call it a classic film is stretching things.

Yea I dont know about classic but it was really well-done movie. I thought O'Shea Jr. was the standout, lurking this thread before I viewed the film and it seemed like the consensus was Eazy's character. All of them did it a great job though.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
I thought Easy was crying tears of joy, like he was happy for Dres success. He had a smile while he teared up.

That scene was right after they showed him having to sell/downgrade his mansion and selling weed to make ends meet. Seems to me it correlates with this whole 'Eazy-E's fall from grace' angle.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I enjoyed the movie and all but I am sitting here completely :dahell:with all this talk about this being a classic and Oscars and shyt.
This was basically one of them VH1 docu-dramas like The Temptations movie except with profanity and nudity. Now I enjoy a good cornball docu-drama immensely and I liked Straight Ouuta Compton, but to call it a classic film is stretching things.

THR has a pretty good article on the initial buzz and campaign

Oscars: 'Straight Outta Compton' — Could It Be a Contender? (Analysis)

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
That scene was right after they showed him having to sell/downgrade his mansion and selling weed to make ends meet. Seems to me it correlates with this whole 'Eazy-E's fall from grace' angle.

But it felt like when he sees the billboard and is happy for his "brother" he goes on the path of reconciliation.

dabestkeptsecret

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
jerz
@MartyMcFly

Now that I think about it. This would have been an amazing 2 part series on HBO :ohhh:

Imagine F.Gary Gray directing all of the NWA stuff in part 1.

The Hughes Brothers directing the Ruthless/Deathrow beef/Aftermath (no pun) :whew:

I may have to pop in that Welcome to Death Row Documentary now :ohlawd:
I kinda wished they left the deathrow part for the 2nd movie. I feel like we only saw a fraction of the deathrow fukkery:lolbron:

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
THR has a pretty good article on the initial buzz and campaign

Oscars: 'Straight Outta Compton' — Could It Be a Contender? (Analysis)
This bit from the article has me wanting the movie to get nominated and win just because of how true it is:
Now, in fairness, there are several other things that could potentially work against Compton's awards prospects.

For one, the Academy has rarely recognized films about black people except when they are depicted in subservient roles, as the actor David Oyelowo noted earlier this year. Among other egregious snubs, Oscar voters opted not to nominate for best picture Do the Right Thing (1989), Glory (1989), Boys n the Hood (1991), Malcolm X (1992) and Selma; The Color Purple (1985) was nominated for 11 Oscars, including best picture, but lost all of them (a record-tying shutout); Sidney Poitier wasn't even nominated for best actor for In the Heat of the Night (1967), which won the best picture Oscar; and the documentaries Hoop Dreams (1994) and The Interrupters (2011) weren't nominated for an Oscar.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Great biopic about one the most influential and legendary groups of all time. Cube Jr. is the spitting image of father from the looks, to the mannerisms etc.. I couldn't see anyone else playing Cube better. I think the actors portraying Eazy and Dre were great also IMO, Yella had me :laff: in all his scenes from trying to fukk the club owners girl, to admitting Cube destroyed them on No Vaseline.

That scene when Eazy found out he had aids and the subsequent scenes with Ren, Yella and Dre visiting him were :sadbron: a few people in the theater were crying during that. I found myself rapping along to all the songs when they played throughout the movie. Suge was no different than Jerry Heller IMO.

It's crazy how close the NWA reunion was to actually happening. I had no issue with them leaving out Dre Day and Real Muthafukkin G's. Most of us know what went down, and those that don't more than likely got the jist of it from the shyt with Cube and Eazy being beat up.

I give it a 5 out of 5.
if you mean this in the simplest of forms - i.e. not the greatest guy, then yea. but suge wasn't stealing from dre, but dude wasn't gonna let you just walk away with your ego in tact either. completely different types of guys

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Yea I dont know about classic but it was really well-done movie. I thought O'Shea Jr. was the standout, lurking this thread before I viewed the film and it seemed like the consensus was Eazy's character. All of them did it a great job though.
Jr did his thing, but really, dude gets a boost by living with his dad and looking just like him. This dude who played eazy was on point, dude even had the charisma eazy had...I'd have to see Jr in another role before I can put him above eazy