Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
but Tupac is there.

And Eazy E thinks he is having asthma issues in real life, but in the movie he faints while attempting to record a new NWA album?
and?
i don't get what else this post is adding to the discussion.
she had more screen time than pac anyways.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
so then her appearance shouldn't have warranted anymore tupac and snoops did in the movie.
still begs the question why you would think she needed to be included more.

Because I like movies and think characters should actually be characters not stereotypes or caricatures and its lazy filmmaking to do it any other way. Also, because according to Dre, his moms clearly was a huge part of his life so she should be allowed to do more than scream, yell, cry, and slap her son or tell him not to blame himself for his brothers' death. So to me, it's just lazy. Now like I said, they obviously had a lot of characters to juggle and deal with, because even Dre's character arc gets shortchanged for the sake of time and the same with Cube and how he became affiliated with the nation, why he chose to hook up with public enemy, etc. So shortcuts were taken, I get it, but that doesn't mean it's not an honest critique to point out when those shortcuts were taken and how they impacted the story.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
but Tupac is there.

And Eazy E thinks he is having asthma issues in real life, but in the movie he faints while attempting to record a new NWA album?

I dont get why you are fighting this point so hard? You first went from "they dont treat any bytches with respect" and suggested that Ice Cube commits acts of violence against his wife and daughter to now, "its not in the timeline" when a lot of the events in this movie were not in the timeline.
when did i ever mention ice cube's wife and daughter? show that post.
and only two scenes that were not in the timeline were the ones with the wife and pac. the rest where just dramatized depictions of what reportedly happened. My only point is that the 1 dimensional portrayal of the mother is more accurate to real life than trying to shoehorn in some shyt like they did with his wife.

Last edited:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Because I like movies and think characters should actually be characters not stereotypes or caricatures and its lazy filmmaking to do it any other way. Also, because according to Dre, his moms clearly was a huge part of his life so she should be allowed to do more than scream, yell, cry, and slap her son or tell him not to blame himself for his brothers' death. So to me, it's just lazy. Now like I said, they obviously had a lot of characters to juggle and deal with, because even Dre's character arc gets shortchanged for the sake of time and the same with Cube and how he became affiliated with the nation, why he chose to hook up with public enemy, etc. So shortcuts were taken, I get it, but that doesn't mean it's not an honest critique to point out when those shortcuts were taken and how they impacted the story.
but you spoke on her in particular, that logic could apply to 2pac just a well or ice cubes affiliation with the nation like you said.
why should she warrant more screen time as opposed to yella or ren?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
when did i ever mention ice cube's wife and daughter? show that post.
and only two scenes that were not in the timeline were the ones with the wife and pac. the rest where just dramatized depictions of what reportedly happened.
this was your response when I asked why THEIR women werent developed more:

http://www.thecoli.com/posts/14805629/

You responded by saying Ice Cube calls womens bytches and hoes.

You completely ignored another post when I asked you if Cube does that to his mom, wife, and daughter.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
this was your response when I asked why THEIR women werent developed more:

http://www.thecoli.com/posts/14805629/

You responded by saying Ice Cube calls womens bytches and hoes.

You completely ignored another post when I asked you if Cube does that to his mom, wife, and daughter.
you did;t answer my question tho
i'll ask again
where did i say he committed acts of violence against his mother and daughter?
just admit that i didn't say that shyt.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
but you spoke on her in particular, that logic could apply to 2pac just a well or ice cubes affiliation with the nation like you said.
why should she warrant more screen time as opposed to yella or ren?

Because the conversation was specially about women characters in the movie breh. Now if you want to talk about why those cats weren't developed enough then we can talk about that but he and I specifically talked about the women characters

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Because the conversation was specially about women characters in the movie breh. Now if you want to talk about why those cats weren't developed enough then we can talk about that but he and I specifically talked about the women characters
ok fine
:yeshrug:

i'll shut the fukk up

if you are also agreeing that male characters weren't developed enough than its not really misogyny you're complaining about but just all around poor character development. just saying tho. i'll shut the fukk up now.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:russell:

So wtf is this debate about right now? People don't like women in their life not having a bigger influence on them or some shyt?

@mastermind mentioned he and his girl noticed the women characters weren't actual characters and were just kinda stereotypes or caricatures , like Dre's mom for example. I agreed and we both said it was probably due to just scenes being cut since dre has mentioned how important his mom was and there are scenes with he and Nicole that are cut from the movie. @Weedizmedicine disagrees with some of the points and here we are

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
ok fine

i'll shut the fukk up

if you are also agreeing that male characters weren't developed enough than its not really misogyny you're complaining about but just all around poor character development. just saying tho. i'll shut the fukk up now.

Well the misogyny thing is different entirely breh. He wasn't saying that the lack of development was misogyny but that the actual misogyny was misogyny lol but we both understood that was true to life and that's what they did. Doesn't excuse it but the story is what the story is. Lack of character development isn't misogyny it's bad writing or poor editing or both

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
ok fine

i'll shut the fukk up

my point was never about the misogyny. That was how they were back then.

The women in their lives helped to change their lives. That wasnt developed at all. That was my issue.