Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
but they were/are misogynistic that's my point. This is a historical drama, not a fiction piece. i want it to accurate. this is more honest than trying make them suddenly act like they care about woman.

His main beef isn't that tho breh. He's saying that the important women in their lives, moms and wives specifically, should've been given more to do and be actual characters not props to move the story forward. It's one thing for them to treat groupies like they treated groupies; it's what they did. Not excusing it but it's how they lived. But like he said, to make Dre's mom be a caricature of a black mom or give no other important women in their lives any real character is a slight. Doesn't mean the movie is bad but it definitely means it's not true to life because listening to Dre's music, especially this last album, it's obvious how big of an influence and help his mom was to him in his life and how much he owed her and looked up to her. obviously the movie had a lot of balls to juggle so they did what they could tho. Not a knock just an observation

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
clearly easy because his character went through the most drama.
cube jr did great too but i admit he had an easier character. (gangsters are boarding the bus look angry :birdman:, your doing a song about police brutality now look angrily intense :demonic:, some bytches boyfriend is trying get into your hotel room, look angrily annoyed:childplease:, heller aint giving your money now just look angry again:birdman:, heres a twist easy e dying of AIDs look angrily upset :mindblown: )
Lol....this is funny...but that's just cube's default emotion :manny:

I wanna see oshea jr in some more stuff to see if he can actually act, he did a great job portraying his dad, but I wonder if that translates to anything else.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
no dude, they did not treat THEIR women like that.

The lack of a woman voice was a real issue in this film when they made it a concerted point to show that they were falling in love.

Also DOC developed at all.
Act like ice cube mushing a girls face and saying bye felica isn't a theme in all his movies/lyrics/life brehs.

Ice Cube Interview
“If you’re a b***h, you’re probably not going to like us. If you’re a ho, you probably don’t like us. If you’re not a ho or a b***h, don’t be jumping to the defense of these despicable females. Just like I shouldn’t be jumping to the defense of no punks or no cowards or no slimy son of a b****es that’s men. I never understood why an upstanding lady would even think we’re talking about her,” he said in an interview with Rolling Stones.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Act like ice cube mushing a girls face and saying bye felica isn't a theme in all his movies/lyrics/life brehs.

Ice Cube Interview
“If you’re a b***h, you’re probably not going to like us. If you’re a ho, you probably don’t like us. If you’re not a ho or a b***h, don’t be jumping to the defense of these despicable females. Just like I shouldn’t be jumping to the defense of no punks or no cowards or no slimy son of a b****es that’s men. I never understood why an upstanding lady would even think we’re talking about her,” he said in an interview with Rolling Stones.

So to take it a step further, you're saying that's how he treated his wife or his mom also?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
His main beef isn't that tho breh. He's saying that the important women in their lives, moms and wives specifically, should've been given more to do and be actual characters not props to move the story forward. It's one thing for them to treat groupies like they treated groupies; it's what they did. Not excusing it but it's how they lived. But like he said, to make Dre's mom be a caricature of a black mom or give no other important women in their lives any real character is a slight. Doesn't mean the movie is bad but it definitely means it's not true to life because listening to Dre's music, especially this last album, it's obvious how big of an influence and help his mom was to him in his life and how much he owed her and looked up to her. obviously the movie had a lot of balls to juggle so they did what they could tho. Not a knock just an observation
to me it does seem true to life because they themselves made the movie and just like with everything else in their lives they didn't dedicate anything or attribute anything to their mothers.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
to me it does seem true to life because they themselves made the movie and just like with everything else in their lives they didn't dedicate anything or attribute anything to their mothers.

Wow. Okay so like I said you haven't heard Compton then because dre specifically mentions his mom in the last track and how one of the first things he did with his money was buy her a house and a car and give her enough money to go on shopping sprees till her feet hurt because she did and gave so much to him when he didn't have a dollar to his name. So he just made all that up in the song?

Now to me, based on how the movie seems our together, there's a lot of stuff left on the cutting room floor and someone pointed out the initial cut was 3.5 hours long so for all we know, some of that character development could've been there but I don't think that's true to life that the women in their lives meant nothing to them.

Edit: I don't want to say you haven't heard it, that's my bad. You probably have heard it so I take that back

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Wow. Okay so like I said you haven't heard Compton then because dre specifically mentions his mom in the last track and how one of the first things he did with his money was buy her a house and a car and give her enough money to go on shopping sprees till her feet hurt because she did and gave so much to him when he didn't have a dollar to his name. So he just made all that up in the song?

Now to me, based on how the movie seems our together, there's a lot of stuff left on the cutting room floor and someone pointed out the initial cut was 3.5 hours long so for all we know, some of that character development could've been there but I don't think that's true to life that the women in their lives meant nothing to them.
i quoting the woman in their lives and the words they said back then, and your evidence to the contrary is some shyt he did 35 years later?
:dahell:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
you think Ice Cube is mushing his wife, mom, and daughter?

Dr. Dre's Ex-Fiancée Michel'le -- He Gave Me 5 Black Eyes!

i'm not saying it. the woman you're talking about are.

eazy e had 7 kids with 6 different woman, they were all his muse's :heh: yeah right.
Michel'le wasnt in this movie tho?

Dre's current wife was featured and there was and she was a big reason he left Death Row.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i quoting the woman in their lives and the words they said back then, and your evidence to the contrary is some shyt he did 35 years later?
:dahell:

Homie you quoted an ex girlfriend not his current wife. We all know about that it's well documented and of course that wasn't in the movie because dre would rather it not be but the point I'm making is that clearly this woman who's been with him for two decades plus and influenced him on leaving the row and even getting back on his hardcore shyt for 2001 is different than a chick he was with for a brief period in the early 90s and clearly had no respect for.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Breh we all know about her lol. I'm talking specifically about the woman dre married. The woman he's still with to this day. The woman who was in the damn movie. Not a domestic issue with an ex girlfriend. His wife of 20 years
you mean Nicole, the women he married a year after the movie ended?
her whole appearance in the film was inaccurate as he was dating michel'le an r&b singer from 1990-1996. she later married suge knight.

his current wife of 20 years wasn't even there during that whole period the movie is set in.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Homie you quoted an ex girlfriend not his current wife. We all know about that it's well documented and of course that wasn't in the movie because dre would rather it not be but the point I'm making is that clearly this woman who's been with him for two decades plus and influenced him on leaving the row and even getting back on his hardcore shyt for 2001 is different than a chick he was with for a brief period in the early 90s and clearly had no respect for.
he dated his ex girlfriend until 1996.