Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
im a bit torn on this

it started off really good but then i found it surprisingly dull and boring towards the later half

the dramatic parts were really forced and corny

the pace during the second half just skipped through to all of headline stuff you remember reading/hearing about during that time

i think its corny seeing all this hip hop stuff as a dramatic depiction. they look too much like caricatures than real life people. if you really idolize people shyt like this will make you tear up but i thought it was corny. i mean really its the music that made these people interesting not their life so much. im just not that much of a stan to find this moving at all even though i was expecting it to do so.

i think some stories would be better off told in documentary form. like the kurt kobain shyt. that was a great documentary but if you saw actors trying to act out peoples lives its just corny.
Actually, they had very interesting lives both within and outside the music, someone mentioned ATCQ earlier a, that's a group where it's about the music. But NWA, Pac, DMX, suge/death row....they all have interesting stories outside the music

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who did you guys think acted the best? I thought Eazy.

Cause the thread is so big now maybe there should be another thread for that

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
okay so i finally found a stream of this online last night...around the half way mark when Cube discuses with Dre contractual concerns he he had with Easy and their white pimp fukking them was a dull point i turned off and went to bed..So far the movie is is okay..maybe cause i've long grown out of the looking up to rapper phase and was always a casual rap fan to begin with i fail to see what the hype is about and i kept help but :stopitslime:at the fact NWA are being portrayed as just a few kids whom made it out the hood and were persecuted by racist cops and government for speaking their truth:childplease:.Yeah cause of the raps bout NWA dropping bodies on wax were reality tales,the man didn't fund NWA careers, and glorifying black on black genocide angers and scares the white power structure:comeon:
more negs than dap

:mjlol:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I am 200% sure I have seen Corey Hawkins (Dr. Dre) before. He from DC too.

Jason Mitchell (Eazy-E) was absolutely incredible. He wont get nominated for an Oscar, but it was an award recognition performance. THis joint will clean up at the NAACP Image Awards.

My only beef is that the women had no voice in this film. They were not fully developed characters.

The music too :banderas:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Who did you guys think acted the best? I thought Eazy.

Cause the thread is so big now maybe there should be another thread for that
clearly easy because his character went through the most drama.
cube jr did great too but i admit he had an easier character. (gangsters are boarding the bus look angry :birdman:, your doing a song about police brutality now look angrily intense :demonic:, some bytches boyfriend is trying get into your hotel room, look angrily annoyed:childplease:, heller aint giving your money now just look angry again:birdman:, heres a twist easy e dying of AIDs look angrily upset :mindblown: )

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Was the buff dude they made strip in deathrow and had the dog barkin at him susposed to be sam sneed?

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

Jason Mitchell (Eazy-E) was absolutely incredible. He wont get nominated for an Oscar, but it was an award recognition performance. THis joint will clean up at the NAACP Image Awards.

My only beef is that the women had no voice in this film. They were not fully developed characters.

Yeah the women were set decoration. And the three women who seemed like they should've had bigger parts, dre's mom, his future wife, and e's wife, feel like they had scenes cut.

And I know homie went to Howard so I think you're right that he's from around the way

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

the woman don't have voices in their real lives either though, name one woman of influence in the NWA rap culture.
aint like they weren't calling them bytches and groupies and ignoring them outside of sex and parties.
ask a random coli dude to give the first and last name of a woman involved with NWA.

not saying its right, just historically accurate.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
the woman don't have voices in their real lives either though, name one woman of influence in the NWA rap culture.
aint like they weren't calling them bytches and groupies and ignoring them outside of sex and parties.
ask a random coli dude to give the first and last name of a woman involved with NWA.

not saying its right, just historically accurate.

I think he means in terms of the women in their lives like Dre's mom or Tamika Wright or Dre's wife, who clearly helped influence him in his decision to leave deathrow.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
the woman don't voices in their real lives either though, name one woman of influence in the NWA rap culture.
aint like they weren't calling them bytches and groupies and ignoring them outside of sex and parties
you missed my point.

Dre's mom was either yelling or crying. Why wasnt she influential on his life?

Dre's wife is probably why he left Death Row.

Eazy's wife is the one who could have gotten more shine, but she got nothing. Remember, she was afraid she caught HIV too. IT seemed like that just went away.

Thats what I mean when I say the women had no voice.

I went with my GF and she said she didnt like the misogynistic stuff, but that struck her more and it struck me too.

Yeah the women were set decoration. And the three women who seemed like they should've had bigger parts, dre's mom, his future wife, and e's wife, feel like they had scenes cut.

And I know homie went to Howard so I think you're right that he's from around the way
Eazy's wife especially.

I may have seen him at Howard. I looked at dude and know Ive seen him before. I was surprised when I looked on his IMDB page and saw he had no real roles of note.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
you missed my point.

I went with my GF and she said she didnt like the misogynistic stuff, but that struck her more and it struck me too.

but they were/are misogynistic that's my point. This is a historical drama, not a fiction piece. i want it to accurate. this is more honest than trying make them suddenly act like they care about woman. i have never once heard cube talk about his mama, but have heard diss other peoples mommas' on several occasions. that is like watching a money about white supremacists and complaining that there is no black love interest's.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
but they were/are misogynistic that's my point. This is a historical drama, not a fiction piece. i want it to accurate. this is more honest than trying make them suddenly act like they care about woman. i have never once heard cube talk about his mama, but have heard diss other peoples mommas' on several occasions.
no dude, they did not treat THEIR women like that.

The lack of a woman voice was a real issue in this film when they made it a concerted point to show that they were falling in love.

Also DOC developed at all.