Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well that's a hollywood thing in general. They normally don't tell these stories until someone is dead because it gives the idea of a full complete arc and makes for an easier story to write. I think Selma has done it the best way by just showing a snapshot of one event in someone's life rather than trying to span their entire life.

True but Hollywood is especially leery of giving black folks money for movies. And to tell the movies accurate or close to accurate. Thankfully cube and dre have made a lot of money and have made corporations money and have big time connections. So they were able to get this shyt greenlighted quicker than others.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
True but Hollywood is especially leery of giving black folks money for movies. And to tell the movies accurate or close to accurate. Thankfully cube and dre have made a lot of money and have made corporations money and have big time connections. So they were able to get this shyt greenlighted quicker than others.

Which is a discussion we were having in one thread about people like Oprah and Will and Cube using their production companies to do more than make barbershop sequels. Cube and Will have no problem getting any amount of money they want for any movie they want to make because they've got a track record. At the end of the day, it comes down to the bottom line and they've got enough of a proven track record to show they will always increase the bottom line

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
They weren't just able to get it made, they snatched it away from the original version which would have been Hellers version. So yeah, Dre playing fast and loose with his own past -- and Cube employing extensive nepotism and control while playing loose himself -- is still preferable to an All-Heller version.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
They weren't just able to get it made, they snatched it away from the original version which would have been Hellers version. So yeah, Dre playing fast and loose with his own past -- and Cube employing extensive nepotism and control while playing loose himself -- is still preferable to an All-Heller version.

I thought the original was the all Eazy-E version? At least that's what I read in hollywood reporter

Daps
im a bit torn on this

it started off really good but then i found it surprisingly dull and boring towards the later half

the dramatic parts were really forced and corny

the pace during the second half just skipped through to all of headline stuff you remember reading/hearing about during that time

i think its corny seeing all this hip hop stuff as a dramatic depiction. they look too much like caricatures than real life people. if you really idolize people shyt like this will make you tear up but i thought it was corny. i mean really its the music that made these people interesting not their life so much. im just not that much of a stan to find this moving at all even though i was expecting it to do so.

i think some stories would be better off told in documentary form. like the kurt kobain shyt. that was a great documentary but if you saw actors trying to act out peoples lives its just corny.

YakSpiller

Superstar
Daps
im a bit torn on this

it started off really good but then i found it surprisingly dull and boring towards the later half

the dramatic parts were really forced and corny

the pace during the second half just skipped through to all of headline stuff you remember reading/hearing about during that time

i think its corny seeing all this hip hop stuff as a dramatic depiction. they look too much like caricatures than real life people. if you really idolize people shyt like this will make you tear up but i thought it was corny. i mean really its the music that made these people interesting not their life so much. im just not that much of a stan to find this moving at all even though i was expecting it to do so.

i think some stories would be better off told in documentary form. like the kurt kobain shyt. that was a great documentary but if you saw actors trying to act out peoples lives its just corny.

:russell:
Go watch some whack ass cac rock drama...

You sound like a ho right now.

I can see you into classic cac rock anyway.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I guess Warner Bros :mjpls: policy caught up with them.

After this there will be a lot of rap biopics. Cube gonna be able to produce a lot of movies out of this. Dre should look into investing that 1 bill into a movie company as well.

You know what is really sad about this. If Hollywood wasn't so racist we could have had tons of biopics on black entertainers before they died or their careers went down hill.

No reason for the James Brown story to have been created last year. That movie should have been made in the 80s.

Thankfully these dumb folks in Hollywood now understand it is best to make these movies while the artist fan base is still fairly young and alive.

So here is hope that we get a tupac, run dmc, Wu tang, death row, no limit and def jam movie.

They don't really do biopics period, unless there is some sort of downfall. They have to wait until you're not really relevant or dead. If not, there's no movie-esque story to tell. Not to mention by the time the legalities are ironed out, the person is dead anyway and the ish with the estate.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
They don't really do biopics period, unless there is some sort of downfall. They have to wait until you're not really relevant or dead. If not, there's no movie-esque story to tell. Not to mention by the time the legalities are ironed out, the person is dead anyway and the ish with the estate.

Hate to say it but having a death or a downfall always makes for a more compelling story. Nirvana is a great band but what makes them a great story is Kurt's death:whoknows:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
okay so i finally found a stream of this online last night...around the half way mark when Cube discuses with Dre contractual concerns he he had with Easy and their white pimp fukking them was a dull point i turned off and went to bed..So far the movie is is okay..maybe cause i've long grown out of the looking up to rapper phase and was always a casual rap fan to begin with i fail to see what the hype is about and i kept help but :stopitslime:at the fact NWA are being portrayed as just a few kids whom made it out the hood and were persecuted by racist cops and government for speaking their truth:childplease:.Yeah cause of the raps bout NWA dropping bodies on wax were reality tales,the man didn't fund NWA careers, and glorifying black on black genocide angers and scares the white power structure:comeon:

I'm not going to neg you because I don't do that but if you identify as a casual rap fan why are you speaking on some shyt you know nothing about from 25+ years ago?

You can sit there and spin weird ass "X-Files" style conspiracy theories about how "the man" funded NWA....maybe "the man" did....but the FBI and police in general were gunning for NWA because of the shyt they were rapping about. I can tell you that factually, as someone that seen it unfold first hand.

More so on their first album than the second one, but even then Cube was literally targeted by the KKK for assassination due to his solo albums.

I have no idea what interests you....but stick to that, and not this.

Fred.