Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dre just keeps winning:wow:

I guess Warner Bros :mjpls: policy caught up with them.

After this there will be a lot of rap biopics. Cube gonna be able to produce a lot of movies out of this. Dre should look into investing that 1 bill into a movie company as well.

You know what is really sad about this. If Hollywood wasn't so racist we could have had tons of biopics on black entertainers before they died or their careers went down hill.

No reason for the James Brown story to have been created last year. That movie should have been made in the 80s.

Thankfully these dumb folks in Hollywood now understand it is best to make these movies while the artist fan base is still fairly young and alive.

So here is hope that we get a tupac, run dmc, Wu tang, death row, no limit and def jam movie.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I guess Warner Bros :mjpls: policy caught up with them.

After this there will be a lot of rap biopics. Cube gonna be able to produce a lot of movies out of this. Dre should look into investing that 1 bill into a movie company as well.

You know what is really sad about this. If Hollywood wasn't so racist we could have had tons of biopics on black entertainers before they died or their careers went down hill.

No reason for the James Brown story to have been created last year. That movie should have been made in the 80s.

Thankfully these dumb folks in Hollywood now understand it is best to make these movies while the artist fan base is still fairly young and alive.

So here is hope that we get a tupac, run dmc, Wu tang, death row, no limit and def jam movie.

Breh, often it comes down to the estate of said families though and wanting these things to be done in the right way. Like the james brown biopic had been in development since 2000 but stalled out due to music licensing and budget and disagreements on the script. Spike Lee was going to direct it in 2006. So it's not all about some racist shyt, a lot of times there are so many pieces of the puzzle to put together for everyone to agree on, most of all the estate of the dead artists or the current living artists. Even this project went through a whole lot of development trouble before the finished product we got friday. Then you've got something like Selma which was years in development but had to deal with stuff like the King family not allowing Ava to use any of MLK's actual speeches since they sold them to Spielberg and Dreamworks years ago.

They've been working on the 2Pac things for decades but his moms and the studio have to agree on everything so far they haven't. Then Singleton came on board and it seemed like everyone was good but then he dropped out and now they've got another good director on it but we'll see.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
No offense but I could give a fukk about 8 mile and Em. That shyt was blaah as fukk for me.

That's cool, I'm just saying that and then of course Notorious like @dora_da_destroyer pointed out to me would be the last ones we had and they were both meh or forgettable. The one thing that 8 mile nailed tho as a fan of the genre, is that rap battle culture and atmosphere. Other than that, I wouldn't call any of those movies great

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Breh, often it comes down to the estate of said families though and wanting these things to be done in the right way. Like the james brown biopic had been in development since 2000 but stalled out due to music licensing and budget and disagreements on the script. Spike Lee was going to direct it in 2006. So it's not all about some racist shyt, a lot of times there are so many pieces of the puzzle to put together for everyone to agree on, most of all the estate of the dead artists or the current living artists. Even this project went through a whole lot of development trouble before the finished product we got friday. Then you've got something like Selma which was years in development but had to deal with stuff like the King family not allowing Ava to use any of MLK's actual speeches since they sold them to Spielberg and Dreamworks years ago.

They've been working on the 2Pac things for decades but his moms and the studio have to agree on everything so far they haven't. Then Singleton came on board and it seemed like everyone was good but then he dropped out and now they've got another good director on it but we'll see.

Oh yeah I know about some of that brotha and appreciate the info. I remember spike saying that after Malcolm X he wanted to do the James Brown story, but said Hollywood was jerking him around saying shyt like we aren't sure the movie will do well and that many people don't know James Brown.

Spike was like how are you saying that when this dude is known all around the world and many acts have borrowed from him. Spike was pissed when he didn't get to direct it because he had been working on trying to get the film off the ground since the 90s. Supposedly Malcolm X and James Brown were projects he wanted to do since his college days.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Oh yeah I know about some of that brotha and appreciate the info. I remember spike saying that after Malcolm X he wanted to do the James Brown story, but said Hollywood was jerking him around saying shyt like we aren't sure the movie will do well and that many people don't know James Brown.

Spike was like how are you saying that when this dude is known all around the world and many acts have borrowed from him. Spike was pissed when he didn't get to direct it because he had been working on trying to get the film off the ground since the 90s. Supposedly Malcolm X and James Brown were projects he wanted to do since his college days.

Word..and they were also leery about giving him the money. My dad told me that Malcolm X went over budget and he had to end up going to his famous friends for financing because he mismanaged the money. I never looked that up to corroborate it but it wouldn't surprise me. Spike is awesome but he also walks to the beat of his own drum. A spike lee james brown flick would've been great especially if he could've made it in 06 but he probably wanted more than $20 million to make it. One reason this movie we're talking about is such a hit is because they made it for that amount and it's already profitable

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Word..and they were also leery about giving him the money. My dad told me that Malcolm X went over budget and he had to end up going to his famous friends for financing because he mismanaged the money. I never looked that up to corroborate it but it wouldn't surprise me. Spike is awesome but he also walks to the beat of his own drum. A spike lee james brown flick would've been great especially if he could've made it in 06 but he probably wanted more than $20 million to make it. One reason this movie we're talking about is such a hit is because they made it for that amount and it's already profitable

Yes he went to MJ, oprah, Cosby and a few other folks.

Also these biopics would be easier to make if they didn't wait till the person who it is about dies. That is when the estates and all that shyt come into. That is another reason why I believe spike wanted to make the movie so bad in the 90s. You can pay the dude a tribute, not get estates involved and you can go straight to the person for research.

That is why I mentioned in my first post to not wait until the fans are old and or dead....it is harder to recoup the money. Straight outta Compton would not be a hit if this movie was made in 2040. All NWA, cube and dre fans would be dead or old as shyt.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man the success for this movie makes me wish that the tribe called quest documentary film would have been made into a biopic movie. Even a cheap 5 Mill movie.

Maybe Spike and or Singleton can start doing some. For 3 to 5 million I think it can work. I mean would wouldn't go see a movie version of no limit or MC hammer. shyt how about UGK? Or geto boys.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Bro, just saw it. As a 20 year old this was literallly the best movie experience I've EVER had, with any movie ever. Seeing a crowd mixed from OGs from that era, to kids my age, to even 2000s babies showing love. Even cacs in there.Literally everyone enjoyed the movie. Its just surreal to me growing up listening to NWA and ice cube and dre and all them as a kid then seeing a movie about them and literally everyone from all walks of life and different eras there to watch it. Like damn, this is our culture, this is who i listen to, who my parents listen to. THis where I come from. Hell they even namedropped Greenleaf the street in compton that I used to get baby sat by my moms friends when she was at work. I imagine this is how old heads felt in the 90s seeing movies like Boyz n The Hood and finally a movie in big screens that they can relate to. Movie did a good job and really tributed to Eazy E. Im glad they dedicated it to him.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yes he went to MJ, oprah, Cosby and a few other folks.

Also these biopics would be easier to make if they didn't wait till the person who it is about dies. That is when the estates and all that shyt come into. That is another reason why I believe spike wanted to make the movie so bad in the 90s. You can pay the dude a tribute, not get estates involved and you can go straight to the person for research.

That is why I mentioned in my first post to not wait until the fans are old and or dead....it is harder to recoup the money. Straight outta Compton would not be a hit if this movie was made in 2040. All NWA, cube and dre fans would be dead or old as shyt.

Well that's a hollywood thing in general. They normally don't tell these stories until someone is dead because it gives the idea of a full complete arc and makes for an easier story to write. I think Selma has done it the best way by just showing a snapshot of one event in someone's life rather than trying to span their entire life.