Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
For me that doesn't take anything away from the film overall but it is one of those annoyances and rush jobs. Like when he gets pulled over by the cops in a freaking high speed chance, the outcome is dropped and it would've been great to see how it played out since his girl was just giving him reasons why she's hesitant to move in with him and then he does that dumb shyt. Would've been a nice pay off but they let it go in the wind. Then Dre tells Eazy that he's not proud of his part in the bullshyt when we never saw him do anything not to be proud of:rudy:. No "Dre Day" no nothing and I figured rather than showing Dre work on Nothin but a G thang for no reason, they should've showed him working on Dre Day
I remember seeing in the trailers he was in jail tho :dwillhuh:

And a couple other scenes from the trailers didnt make the final cut as well

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
I look at all the gripes like this:

nikkas liked that Temptations movie right?

What if they knew Blue actually died in the hospital after weeks of deteriorating health, not suddenly after rolling into the kitchen?

Or that Ruffin wasnt actually smoking crack because the Reunion tour was in '82 and crack didn't emerge until '84-'85?

Or that the dude Al didn't get kicked out the group after hittin' Paul in the head with the bottle, but after a SECOND incident?

Or that... y'all get the point.

Obviously everything ain't gonna be to the tee... but when you got 2 and a half hours to cover like 9 years... I think they did a great damn job. There's things that coulda been a lil tighter/better, but in a biopic, some of the more meticulous details are gonna get melded together. Really the only thing I think was really left out was the Dre Day/Real Gs timeframe... even if it only got a minute or two, it'd been a notable addition.
Temptations was that shyt
Otis.png
ungrateful sons of bytches

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
Dre and Cube were definitely more successful but thats not the point, the point is that Eazy was still successful on his own and the movie didnt allude to that at all.. somebody who knows nothing about NWA is gonna watch this film and think Eazy fell on hard times after NWA broke up when thats false
We get it dude, they did it to make his death more emotional.

Poetic License is hell of a drug :troll:

Kaypain

#SuicideGang
Supporter
Daps
But in the Temptations movie, they all had chances to shine and that's with 10+ members. Ren had 5 lines and about 5 bars from a verse. There was no excuse for that. They only showed Cube writing.

Honestly, I don't think Heller ever stole from Eazy. He didn't Suge or Puffy him. The only accounts of that is from Tomica. Everyone else was shocked when Heller was ousted. Hell, from what i remember Cube..and eventually Dre...left because Eazy was the only one making money.
There was a scene where they said Ren was good if not better writer than Cube...

They made it clear he could write

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I remember seeing in the trailers he was in jail tho :dwillhuh:

And a couple other scenes from the trailers didnt make the final cut as well

Which happens and that's fine but I think it would've added more to the story to show that especially since they had the perfect setup

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
There was a scene where they said Ren was good if not better writer than Cube...

They made it clear he could write

I know that. I started to put it in my post, but they just never showed it. If not for that line you would've never knew Ren was viscious with the pen.

BG Knocc Out also says Eazy fired Jerry after finding out he stole money

BG Knocc out also said that they injected him with AIDS and that Eazy had a meeting with the Nation and after that he fired everyone.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
For me that doesn't take anything away from the film overall but it is one of those annoyances and rush jobs. Like when he gets pulled over by the cops in a freaking high speed chance, the outcome is dropped and it would've been great to see how it played out since his girl was just giving him reasons why she's hesitant to move in with him and then he does that dumb shyt. Would've been a nice pay off but they let it go in the wind. Then Dre tells Eazy that he's not proud of his part in the bullshyt when we never saw him do anything not to be proud of:deadrose:. No "Dre Day" no nothing and I figured rather than showing Dre work on Nothin but a G thang for no reason, they should've showed him working on Dre Day

Showing him working on Dre day would mean they'd have to show eazy making real muthafukkin Gs. Dre probably still cries when he hears that song.

Yayo Toure

Mighty Man City
Supporter
Daps
I'm starting to think that they didn't do real muthafucckin gs because that would somewhat reveal that easy was still making money off of dre and that kinda conflicts with how they portrayed easy post NWA.

"and in death row I hear you getting treated like boot camp"

That line would've made the scene where Dre was bossing up to Suge and them look fraudulent.... As Well as the end of the movie.

Alot of the movie is just Dre trying to dispell the lyrics of a 22 year old diss song. In the first ten minutes of the movie, he states how he hates his DJing outfit. Then he shows Eazy going broke and almost in tears looking at Chronic billboards, when in reality Eazy was still making money off Dr.Dre at that point.

Also funny how he never openly acknowledges having a ghost writer, yet he's shown free styling with snoop making Nuttin but a G thang.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Saw it yesterday - it will go down as a classic to me because of the source material, but not because of the execution.

:goatsalute: The breh who played Eazy - my favourite performance out of the cast.

It was pretty primary colours all round. There wasn't much room for subtlety. The one scene that made me really cringe was when Cube is writing 'Friday' with the "YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUKK OUT!":gladbron:

I would have been cool with "Bye, Felicia" being the only reference - the second one seemed way too on the nose. Same thing with Suge suddenly asking Dre what his new label would be called, just so he can hit the "Aftermath" :youngsabo::smugfavre:

The actor playing Snoop :snoop:

The actor playing Pac :pachaha:

I hated the way that everything was kinda smushed together timeline wise (slang and fashion in particular), a continuity consultant could have helped out the film a bunch.

I found myself way more annoyed than I should have been, that they had to dress the guy who played Chuck D in the outfit from the 'Nation Of Millions' to put across who he was, too.

The Jerry Heller No Vaseline rant was :skip:

I also felt like LA should have been a 'character' in the movie, the same way NY is in Spike Lee and Woody Allen flicks.:yeshrug:

Definitely gave me some perspective on what I'm writing at the moment though :jbhmm: