Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
I just came back watching the movie and :wow:.

The first and second act of the movie was just :ohlawd:.

The opening scene was amazing and gave me goosebumps.

The blood from Crenshaw mafia bus scene was so gangsta and powerful.

The crowd reaction to no vasiline in the movie theater was so awesome, everybody was like :gladbron::ooh::krs:. :bryan:

Why didn't add Dre Day/Real G's in the movie is beyond me.:FMJR:

Like why this movie had no white savior non-sense in it or any other political agenda that nothing to with black issues.

Is a straight masculine black male excellence movie.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I'll echo a lot of peoples sentiments in that the first half of the movie or so is almost flawless. Some liberties taken with events but nothing too egregious. Once nwa breaks up though the movie kinda fell apart for me. The pacing was off putting. It just felt rushed and schizophrenic. It had some good scenes but it felt like the liberties were taken too far. Dres portryal was hilariously predictable. Suge was a cartoonish villain. Sorry dre but I dont believe you walked into a room full of bloods and started barking and throwing hands.

Overall, 8/10

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
good read
What I remember about eazys death is him saying 'hell no,!' To some nikkas regarding shyt tomika was pulling while he was in the hospital. He never intended to marry tomika. She was the worst of pebbles, Yoko and Courtney love rolled into one person - ruthless, incompetent, selfish, manipulative.

I'd trust Heller before Tomika.

10:31

Superstar
Daps
Just came home from this.......I am from San Diego, I was born in 85 and came into hip hop in like 97, for whatever reason I NEVER was as big with west coast..It was always more eastcoast/south, starting with Mase, Jay, Nas, etc etc....and I missed the NWA era, by the time I came in Cube was making movies and 'War & Peace', which I loved, I watched 'Friday' on USA when I was like 13...and Dre dropped 'The Chronic' 2001 when I was in 8th grade...I will say it's so dope to have a hip hop biopic, and really trace the origins of these iconic stars of an entire generation and genre....even if they are not MY favorites, what the stand for, and what they created i what we all love...Just what they did with this movie is commendable, the fact of where they came from, and what they did for the game....you can't deny that...I give it up for them...

From the opening shots F. Gary Gray seems to have found his footing again as a director, loved the grimy dope spot scenes of Compton at night, the enclosed world they all lived in....It felt tense and chaotic, oppressed and bleak....Dre's opener was less so, stock dialogue and wooden lines burdened his character from the beginning, Cubes was solid...while I thought some aspects of the 'bus stop' scene were good, it seemed very on the nose and convenient, of course you never know if a story like that was real..I really doubt it, but it does beg the question does it work for a movie. Gray got the characters right, but I think verged on over the top, and this repeats throughout. The rising scenes are done well, the police were a little overplayed and felt like stock villains, which is no doubt how they were perceived......it just felt a little much at times. I loved Easy E and Cube....They shined, even with some clunky lines and poorly written scenes like the death of Dre's brother...That was bad. 'An accident"??? Borderline laughable. Again, I have no idea if they all really got off the bus and hugged, but begs the question, should it have been in the movie?

Gray starts to fumble more and more going forward with obnoxious and distracting score music, piercing every scene, almost equivalent to a laugh track...Cue ominous music....cue lightly triumphant music.....Suge Knight's scene bordered on really good....yet there was an edge missing, I laughed because I love all these characters so much, and the whole saga is just something so fascinating and beloved by me.....but, also there was an element of comic book villain to it, which felt off. Suge was presented as barely a real person, and his antics didn't seem quite right in tone. The diss track and the back and forth saga, of course lacked the final tracks, but were some of the movies better moments....It really felt alive wit Suge and the studio sessions and music...It faltered as it showed Dre meeting his wife, awful writing, and broke down more as it chronicled Easy's downfall....no because of the acting, just the writing....'Teh Chronic' scene was over the top....The coughs were apparently accurate, it just seemed cheap at times though. And the Jimmy Iovine scene? What bothers me most was how sanitized everything was.

The Pac scene was badly mishandled, as well as the distracting obviously WAY off time frame, his performance was about on the level of Anthony Mackie in 'Notorious'. Contained no trace of the dark and frentic energy which consumed Pac, and separated him from Dr Dre, musically and personally... I don't know if Pac is just such an icon, he can never be portrayed, but they need to do better.....Just a mess of a scene. Then Dre barking on a room full of Mob Piru's and Suge? In what was a weird reenactment of the Mark Bell incident? Of course the end scene was laughable.....I bet Dre just never came to work and sent word through an attorney. and LOL at everyone saying how many dudes did he knock out? Yeah, Dre was def. 'recollecting' a lot in the writing room....The ending montage lost me when it become Aftermath/Interscope/Apple PR, I thought that was tacky and took away from the message....

I would love to see a Pac/Death Row movie, but it needs to be darker...THis won't cut it. Better directing, better writing, edgier, more violent..needs an artistic hand in it...Gray was very glossy and mainstream in his handling of it.... cinematography is bland, or heavy handed, like those Watts shots.....It's an enjoyable/watchable movie, but this should have been better, I maybe didn't expect it to be....and any further hip hop movies...need more of an edge. Fuqua is probably washed at this point, but the movie needed his eye for violence and authentic street shyt....This felt very off at points....This is B- to me. Worth watching, and a triumphant nod to the game and the fans...loved the in jokes and 'Felicia' moment...

I feel bad for some fans that were born into certain eras

It definitely could've been worse for you but you missed the true golden era

Nas and Jay z are timeless acts as well (very influential) but I seriously can't imagine being indoctrinated into hip hop in 1997-98 like War & Peace Cube is a shadow of the artist you see in this movie.

I see why top 5s changed so much with the times in this genre...

Daps
I'll echo a lot of peoples sentiments in that the first half of the movie or so is almost flawless. Some liberties taken with events but nothing too egregious. Once nwa breaks up though the movie kinda fell apart for me. The pacing was off putting. It just felt rushed and schizophrenic. It had some good scenes but it felt like the liberties were taken too far. Dres portryal was hilariously predictable. Suge was a cartoonish villain. Sorry dre but I dont believe you walked into a room full of bloods and started barking and throwing hands.

Overall, 8/10

That scene literally made me laugh out loud :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

Vandelay

Life is absurd. Lean into it.
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Then Dre barking on a room full of Mob Piru's and Suge? In what was a weird reenactment of the Mark Bell incident? Of course the end scene was laughable.....I bet Dre just never came to work and sent word through an attorney. and LOL at everyone saying how many dudes did he knock out? Yeah, Dre was def. 'recollecting' a lot in the writing room....

Lol...:mjlol:

I was young, 9-10ish but apparently Dre thought he was gangsta for a time...I'm armchair quarterbacking, but the movie would have been better played if they showed Dre's fukkery, then overlayed it with Death Row's and played it like he wasn't really quite built for that shyt.

Daps
How would be that c00nery though?:wtf:

The real life CB4?..:shaq2:

Watch the damn movie...CB4 was a parody turned up to 10. Dont speak on what they movie is tryna portray if you aint see it.:usure:
black gang culture and by extension gangsta rap in promotes an black on black violence,self racism, ignorance and , reinforces negative stereotypes created by the white power structure :stopitslime:

yeah NWA was the OG studio gangsters:comeon:

i'm waiting until i hits the net but not matter how quality the movie may have been directed/acted my position is unlikely to change..:yeshrug:

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
What I remember about eazys death is him saying 'hell no,!' To some nikkas regarding shyt tomika was pulling while he was in the hospital. He never intended to marry tomika. She was the worst of pebbles, Yoko and Courtney love rolled into one person - ruthless, incompetent, selfish, manipulative.

I'd trust Heller before Tomika.
Lil Eazy has no kind words for that woman. She had two of Eazys kids, but Eazys other kids didn't get nothing.

Yella pretty much adopted one of his kids cuz he wasn't getting no money.

10:31

Superstar
Daps
Don Mega Cube isn't even a shadow of Ice Cube... Don Mega is the part time MC full time movie director

You nikkas need to get familiar with Ice Cube.

That's like a young person who missed 96-01 Jay but caught kingdom come to present jay :snoop:

Ice Cube lived long enough to outgrow hip hop... He and Dre both outgrew it.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Don Mega Cube isn't even a shadow of Ice Cube... Don Mega is the part time MC full time movie director

You nikkas need to get familiar with Ice Cube.

That's like a young person who missed 96-01 Jay but caught kingdom come to present jay :snoop:

Ice Cube lived long enough to outgrow hip hop... He and Dre both outgrew it.

I was born in 87 so honestly I knew Cube mostly from movies and his later music like Westside Connection. A few years ago I went back in his discography and :banderas: he became one of my top favorite rappers. His run for AMW to Lethal Injection is one of the best.