Straight Outta Compton is a classic movie

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This shyt really did set up the hip hop cinematic universe :pachaha:

shyt was dope tho, quality direction and acting, dude who played eazy was VERY good. Dre's actor was good as well, and cube's son was spot on - I don't know if he's a a good actor on his own or if he benefitted from paying his dad and looking like him. Dre had too many tough guy ducktales and they were a little too liberal with how things wrapped up with cube, dre, and eazy.

I agree the second half wasn't as tight, but part of its due to them kinda making shyt up and too any fragmented directions. I do wish they would've given Ren more screen time and showed how dope he was as an mc. DOC was a bit of a distraction, but I get including him. And yea, back to liberal happy endings, not including the dre day/real muthafukkin g'z beef was a miss IMO. But cube's no Vaseline.,,,wish I coulda been old enough to witness that, I know nikkaz had to lose their mind when that dropped :banderas:

:rip: eazy, that was the first megastar rapper to die in my lifetime, shyt was crazy. :to:

Gonna cop this when it comes out on dvd

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Capsule Corp
Eazy E never went broke and lost his house:camby: he had 30 million at the time of his death, he was 2x platinum off the EP, Bone was platinum, and he was making money off of The Chronic and Doggystyle

Eazy paid Alonzo money because he wanted to meet Jerry Heller, he didnt randomly get ran up on by Jerry and not know who he was:camby:

Eazy was not with DJ Yella or MC Ren when he passed out before going to the hospital:camby:
Or Tomica for that matter considering he kicked her out of his house 2 weeks before going to the hospital:camby:(fbi files verify that)
Dre didnt have half as much heart as the movie made him to have unless it involved women:camby:

Cube was not washing them Above The Law/Ruthless nikkas like the movie made it seem, I heard the exact opposite:camby:

I like the movie but as a Eazy fan that really pissed me off seeing him crying over a Chronic billboard and him downsizing houses.. he had the same mansion and Tomica lived in it even after he died till she got foreclosed in 2011.. they really downplayed his solo career while showing Dre and Cube flourish.. Dre did a lot of fukked up shyt in real life but came out the movie looking like superman

Last edited:

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
Eazy E never went broke and lost his house:camby: he had 30 million at the time of his death, he was 2x platinum off the EP, Bone was platinum, and he was making money off of The Chronic and Doggystyle

Eazy paid Alonzo money because he wanted to meet Jerry Heller, he didnt randomly get ran up on by Jerry and not know who he was:camby:

Eazy was not with DJ Yella or MC Ren when he passed out before going to the hospital:camby:
Or Tomica for that matter considering he kicked her out of his house 2 weeks before going to the hospital:camby:(fbi files verify that)
Dre didnt have half as much heart as the movie made him to have unless it involved women:camby:

Cube was not washing them Above The Law/Ruthless nikkas like the movie made it seem, I heard the exact opposite:camby:

I like the movie but as a Eazy fan that really pissed me off seeing him crying over a Chronic billboard and him downsizing houses.. he had the same mansion and Tomica lived in it even after he died till she got foreclosed in 2011.. they really downplayed his solo career while showing Dre and Cube flourish.. Dre did a lot of fukked up shyt in real life but came out the movie looking like superman
You ever seen a movie biography look the exact same as life :francis:

avon barksdale

i want my corners
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore Prison
EAZY-E.com - The official ruthless records fan site.

Eazy-E's Death

On March 15, Eric "Eazy-E" Wright lay in the intensive care unit of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. He was 31 years old and fighting for his life. Heavily sedated, Eazy-E had a respirator tube running down his throat to help him breathe. In the cramped, fluorescent-lit room, a few close friends and Tomica Woods-his new wife and the mother of his youngest son-gathered around his bed.

"We told him we loved him, " says Jacob T., a six-foot-three, 300-pound Samoan, one of Eazy's longtime twin bodyguards. He and his brother, John T., were with Eazy through most of his last days. "But he couldn't talk. Then we said, 'If you can hear us, just squeeze our hand.' He did."

Big Man (a.k.a. Mark Rucker), who grew up with Eazy in Compton, removed a gold ring his wife had given him on their 10th anniversary. He slipped it on Eazy's index finger. "I told him, 'I want you to give this back to me when you get out of here.' " But Eazy never got out. His immune system had become too weak to fight off the infection that was ravaging his lungs.

About a week later, Eric Wright fell unconscious and remained so until he died on March 26, 1995, at 6:35 p.m., from AIDS-related pneumonia.

The announcement that Eazy had AIDS sent shock waves throughout the hip hop nation. Fans, friends, even journalists wept openly on March 16 as his attorney, Ron Sweeney, read a statement from his client outside the old Motown building in Hollywood. The founder of N.W.A, the man who popularized gangsta rap worldwide, was suddenly thrust into the role of AIDS educator: "I would like to turn my own problem into something good that will reach out to all my homeboys, " Eazy said through Sweeney. "I want to save their asses before it's too late. I'm not looking to blame anyone except myself."

Though Eazy didn't say (and perhaps didn't know) how he contracted the virus, he implied that it was through unprotected sex with women. "I have seven children by six different mothers, " said the statement. "Maybe success was too good to me." At the Beat, L.A.'s KKBT-FM, where Eazy had hosted a show every Saturday, the phone rang. It was Snoop Doggy Dogg, who, in a call filled with long, pregnant silences, said he was praying for Eazy. The next day Ice Cube phoned in.

"Me and Eric worked out our differences, " said Cube. "I had just seen him in New York, and we talked for a long time. We was laughing and kickin' it about how N.W.A should get back together. I'm just waiting for a call that says he's cool enough for me to go to the hospital and check him out...and let him know that he's still the homie, when it comes to me."

On Friday, March 17, Dr. Dre-who's traded wicked insults with Eazy since the dissolution of N.W.A-paid a visit to Cedars-Sinai. Dre got in; he saw Eazy. Only he knows what, if anything, was communicated. By that time, the hospital's switchboard had been blowing up for two days straight.

"We've been overwhelmed with thousands of phone calls asking about Eazy-E, " says Paula Correia, Cedars-Sinai's director of public relations. "Lots of young, people-emotional, upset, concerned. We've had a high volume of calls for other celebrity patients-Lucille Ball, George Burns, Billy Idol-but never this many."

But not everyone was sympathetic. According to one hospital staffer, some women claiming to be Eazy's former lovers were phoning in death threats. Across the country, at a panel discussion in Virginia, Compton rapper DJ Quik was saying that Eazy-E knew he had the disease two years ago and vowed to spread it around. (Ruthless employee Keisha Anderson went on KKBT on March 16 and said that "Eazy was tested 18 months ago, and it was negative.") Rumors were snowballing: Eazy was a closet homosexual, Eazy was a heroin addict. Eazy was on his deathbed, Eazy was getting better. On and on. The fevered gossip said more about the anxiety running through Planet Hip Hop than it did about the truth.

Eazy-E was the first major pop music figure who was not openly gay to die from AIDS. But instead of seizing this opportunity to educate, the media downplayed Eazy's death. MTV had devoted around-the-clock coverage to Kurt Cobain's suicide, but squeezed only a few paltry minutes on Eazy into their regular MTV News broadcasts. The New York Times and People offered slightly expanded obituaries, and BET seemed asleep at the wheel. The media's laxity was especially shameful considering that Eazy's core audience-young people of color-are currently contracting the virus at such an accelerated rate.

A middle-class kid from Compton who got caught up in drug dealing and petty crime, Eazy went legit by investing his money in his own label, Ruthless Records. With his distinctive, high-pitched whine, Eazy coined the term "Boyz-N-the Hood" and ushered in the gangsta rap era. "As long as you're being talked about, " said the man whose rhymes enraged the FBI-yet who, in 1991, took time out to hang with George Bush-"people still remember you."

Right before he got sick, Eazy was at his busiest: shopping a screenplay, executive producing Bone Thugs 'N' Harmony's upcoming album, and preparing to release his own oft-delayed double album-a collection culled from more than 70 tracks recorded with everyone from Bootsy Collins to Slash of Guns N' Roses.

"He was driven by the thought that when he was sleeping, he was missing something, " says Jerry Heller, Eazy-E's longtime friend, personal manager, and the controversial former general manager of Ruthless Records. "He worried that people were getting ahead of him. He just never slept."

"Eazy lived the life of a straight-up G, " says Rhythm D, one of Eazy's former roommates and producers. "You know. A mack." Heller puts it more gently: "Eazy loved women. He had lots of them. Lots of kids. They were a big part of his life."I knew he was sleeping with other people, " says one of Eazy's most recent girlfriends. "But I didn't know to what extent. It was only after he went into the hospital that I found out he was living with this other woman, Tomica. But he was never anything but good to me. As far as I was concerned, we were still together."

Linda Bell, the mother of Eazy's second-oldest child, a nine-year-old girl, says she and Eazy were no longer seeing each other but that he willingly provided for their child. On the day of her own HIV test, she spoke highly, if somewhat numbly, of her former lover: "Eric was so busy it was hard for him to spend time with his daughter. Just before he got sick, he said he was gonna come pick her up and take her to some event-the Ice Capades. He never did get the chance."

Even though Eazy was living a player's lifestyle, his death seemed to come out of nowhere. "It was a shock to everybody, " says Steffon, a former cohost of the syndicated video show Pump It Up and an MC signed to Ruthless Records. "About a week before he went into the hospital, I was at his house and he was the same ol' E. We was just chillin', bumpin' tunes, smokin' weed, talkin' about business."

According to his bodyguards, Eazy was having cold symptoms and some difficulty breathing as early as mid-January but avoided seeing a doctor. "He'd had bronchitis off and on since he was a kid, " says Big Man. "So it wasn't completely new." But Eazy's breathing became increasingly strained, and on Thursday, February 16, Jacob T. and Big Man took him to the emergency room of Norwalk Community Hospital.

"He sounded worse than I'd ever heard him, " says Big Man, "but he wouldn't have gone if it were up to him. We practically had to force him to go." Eazy was admitted for a breathing problem and released on February 19. After leaving the hospital, he went home to Topanga Canyon, where he rested, trying to get over what everyone assumed was bronchitis-related asthma.

"That Thursday, we slept over at his house, " says Jacob. "Eazy was still wheezing and short of breath. He had an appointment with his doctor the next day." On Friday, February 24, Eazy-E was admitted to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center. Under the alias Eric Lollis, Eazy stayed in room 5105, where he was given antibiotics for an infection in his lungs.

"He was smaller because his appetite had decreased. But there were no lesions or dementia. None of the other things you associate with AIDS, " says Charms Henry, Eazy's former personal assistant and longtime friend. "I know because I lost an uncle to it last year." In the hospital, Eazy wore black Calvin Klein long underwear and sometimes a gown to cover his upper body. His mom was bringing him home-cooked food and fresh fruit. He had a radio but spent most of the time watching television.

"Me and one of his girlfriends would get him to sit up and move around, " says Henry. "But he couldn't walk much because it was hard on his breathing. His spirits went up, then down, and we'd try to cheer him up. I did the running man to Montell Jordan's 'This Is How We Do It, ' and he laughed."

Eazy was diagnosed with AIDS March 1. "He told me it wasn't fair, " says Henry, her voice tense with emotion. "That he didn't want to die. He said he wouldn't care if he didn't have a dime; he said he wouldn't care what anybody said, if he could just drop the top on his car and ride up the coast one more time."

"She told you, right?" is how Eazy-E told Big Man and Jacob T. that he was dying of AIDS. The "she" was his soon-to-be wife, Tomica, who had been keeping a bedside vigil since Eazy was hospitalized. Eazy was scheduled for surgery the next day, March 15, so that excess fluid could be drained from his lungs. Amid concern that he might not survive the surgery, he married Tomica Woods. Woods and her daughter subsequently tested negative for HIV, though they may not be out of danger, as the virus sometimes takes months to show up in tests.

Eazy recited his wedding vows at approximately 9:30 p.m. on March 14. He was unable to stand. His parents, Kathie (a grade school administrator) and Richard Wright (a retired postal worker), were in attendance, as were his sister and brother, Patricia and Kenneth. The same night Eazy reportedly signed a will naming attorney Sweeney and Tomica Woods cotrustees of his estate. The surgery, however, never happened. Shortly after dawn, Eazy was transferred to the hospital's intensive care unit. There he was hooked up to life support.

"I was told that they couldn't drain his lungs because he was too weak, " says Jacob. From that point on, Eazy remained in critical condition. Charms Henry saw him on March 24, two days before he died. "I was talking to him but he didn't respond, " she says. "It looked as if he was asleep. It was the first time he looked comfortable in a while. He looked peaceful."

Less than 24 hours after Eric Wright's death, war broke out over his estate. Mike Klein, Ruthless's director of business affairs, filed a $5 million lawsuit charging that Tomica Woods and Ron Sweeney, who became Eazy's attorney in January 1995, wrongfully claimed ownership of Ruthless. In a motion filed March 27 in L.A. Superior Court, Klein claimed to own 50 percent of the label, per an agreement signed with Eazy in 1992. Klein says he fired Sweeney on March 24, and then when Klein showed up to work at Ruthless on March 27, 10 security guards blocked his entrance. The LAPD subsequently shut down the company's Woodland Hills offices until the legal dispute could be settled. Klein told VIBE that Eazy had expressed "no interest" in getting married and that whatever will he may have signed on his deathbed, "he signed because he was not in the right state of mind." Sweeney and Woods declined to comment.

More than one of Eazy's ex-girlfriends have expressed concern over whether their kids will continue to be provided for. "I'm not some groupie tryin' to jump in for money, " says Tracy Jernagin, owner of a music production company and the mother of Eazy's four-year-old daughter, Erin Wright-who has since retained a lawyer to assure that her child's interests are protected. "Eric was very generous and loving toward his daughter. I know he wanted her provided for."

Regardless of who inherits his ample fortune (estimated at $35 illion), Eazy-E deserves props for many things: for pioneering some of the funkiest hardcore music ever made; for opening people's eyes to how bad things have gotten in urban America; for being a successful entrepreneur; for being one of the first people to tell cops to fukk off in song.

But since his death, the fact that stands out more than any other is that his music unabashedly glorified the lifestyle that ended up killing him. "Feel a little gust of wind /And I'm jettin', " he rapped in "Straight Outta Compton." "But leave a memory no one'll be forgettin' / So what about that bytch who got shot? / fukk her / You think I give a damn about a bytch? / I ain't a sucker / This is the autobiography of the E / And if you ever fukk with me you'll get taken." Well, E got taken. The truth is, hip hop's attitude of invincibility is a joke in the face of the AIDS virus.

"When Magic got it, people thought about it for a minute, " says former N.W.A. member DJ Yella. "But everybody knew Eric; he's right there in the streets. His dying from AIDS has got a lot of people thinking, 'Now that's close, it can't get no closer but me getting it.' " Only days after Eazy passed, a young street vendor stood on the corner of Florence and Crenshaw Boulevards in South-Central Los Angeles selling T-shirts. Two weeks ago they might have borne messages like FREE OJ or bytchES AIN'T shyt. Now the shirts say in big black letters: AIDS IS RUTHLESS. SO TAKE IT EAZY. RIP 3/26/95.
good read

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
really liked the movie
the random pac shyt with the timeline fukked up :beli:

was waiting all movie to hear 'real mutha fukkin g'z' like :feedme:

shyt never dropped :martin: but instead they had eazy emo over a billboard :stopitslime:
This supposed to be an uplifting movie brehs, they didn't even want to really focus on Ruthless vs Death Row, which is possibly why Snoop ain't get expounded upon too much or Dre Day/Real Gz

You just couldn't do this movie without No Vaseline, but NWA was already done by the time you had Ruthless/Death Row

puggle

Superstar
Daps
'Compton' Rivals Previous August Tentpoles With $22.8M Friday; 'U.N.C.L.E.' Shows Gray Hair - Late Night B.O.
3RD UPDATE, Saturday midnight: How massive is Straight Outta Compton? Let’s start with its Friday haul of $22.8M. That’s an opening day figure that ranks up there with some serious August tentpoles, ranking fifth for the month, and beating the first days of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra ($22.2M), Signs ($20.9M) and Rise of the Planet of the Apes ($19.5M).

Straight Outta Compton is touching a cultural nerve, and to stay it crossed over is an understatement. Opening weekend is currently at an awesome $55.1M.

Rentrak’s PostTrak reports that audiences gave the Universal/Legendary title a 5 out of 5 stars which is largely unheard of for their polls; typically the best films of out of PostTrak get a 4 or 4.5 stars. And not just guys, but women are giving the F. Gary Gray-directed biopic a respective 74% and 76% definite recommend – high marks per Rentrak. 38% of those watching Compton came out because of the subject matter and the plot. CinemaScore is a resounding A. Given Compton’s fast-beat rhythm today, Uni is officially launching an Oscar campaign for the film and will start Academy screenings tomorrow.
:leon::whew:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Just came home from this, I am from San Diego, I was born in 85 and came into hip hop in like 97, for whatever reason I NEVER was as big with west coast..It was always more eastcoast/south, starting with Mase, Jay, Nas, etc etc, and I missed the NWA era, by the time I came in Cube was making movies and 'War & Peace', which I loved, I watched 'Friday' on USA when I was like 13...and Dre dropped 'The Chronic' 2001 when I was in 8th grade .I will say it's so dope to have a hip hop biopic, and really trace the origins of these iconic stars of an entire generation and genre....even if they are not MY favorites, what the stand for, and what they created i what we all love...Just what they did with this movie is commendable, the fact of where they came from, and what they did for the game, you can't deny that, I give it up for them.

From the opening shots F. Gary Gray seems to have found his footing again as a director, loved the grimy dope spot scenes of Compton at night, the enclosed world they all lived in....It felt tense and chaotic, oppressed and bleak. Dre's opener was less so, stock dialogue and wooden lines burdened his character from the beginning, Cubes was solid, while I thought some aspects of the 'bus stop' scene were good, it seemed very on the nose and convenient, of course you never know if a story like that was real. I really doubt it, but it does beg the question does it work for a movie. Gray got the characters right, but I think verged on over the top, and this repeats throughout. The rising scenes are done well, the police were a little overplayed and felt like stock villains, which is no doubt how they were perceived, t just felt a little much at times. I loved Easy E and Cube. They shined, even with some clunky lines and poorly written scenes like the death of Dre's brother. That was bad. 'An accident"??? Borderline laughable. Again, I have no idea if they all really got off the bus and hugged, but begs the question, should it have been in the movie?

Gray starts to fumble more and more going forward with obnoxious and distracting score music, piercing every scene, almost equivalent to a laugh track. Cue ominous music, cue lightly triumphant music. Suge Knight's scene bordered on really good, yet there was an edge missing, I laughed because I love all these characters so much, and the whole saga is just something so fascinating and beloved by me, but, also there was an element of comic book villain to it, which felt off. Suge was presented as barely a real person, and his antics didn't seem quite right in tone. The diss track and the back and forth saga, of course lacked the final tracks, but were some of the movies better moments. It really felt alive wit Suge and the studio sessions and music. It faltered as it showed Dre meeting his wife, awful writing, and broke down more as it chronicled Easy's downfall, not because of the acting, just the writing....'The Chronic' scene was over the top....The coughs were apparently accurate, it just seemed cheap at times though. And the Jimmy Iovine scene? What bothers me most was how sanitized everything was.

The Pac scene was badly mishandled, as well as the distracting obviously WAY off time frame, his performance was about on the level of Anthony Mackie in 'Notorious'. Contained no trace of the dark and frenetic energy which consumed Pac, and separated him from Dr Dre, musically and personally. I don't know if Pac is just such an icon, he can never be portrayed, but they need to do better. Just a mess of a scene. Then Dre barking on a room full of Mob Piru's and Suge? In what was a weird reenactment of the Mark Bell incident? Of course the end scene was laughable. I bet Dre just never came to work and sent word through an attorney. and LOL at everyone saying how many dudes did he knock out? Yeah, Dre was def. "recollecting" a lot in the writing room. The ending montage lost me when it become Aftermath/Interscope/Apple PR, I thought that was tacky and took away from the message.

I would love to see a Pac/Death Row movie, but it needs to be darker, this won't cut it. Better directing, better writing, edgier, more violent, needs an artistic hand in it. Gray was very glossy and mainstream in his handling of it. Cinematography is bland, or heavy handed, like those Watts shots, It's an enjoyable/watchable movie, but this should have been better, I maybe didn't expect it to be, and any further hip hop movies need more of an edge. Fuqua is probably washed at this point, but the movie needed his eye for violence and authentic street shyt. This felt very off at points....This is B- to me. Worth watching, and a triumphant nod to the game and the fans, loved the in jokes and 'Felicia' moment.

Last edited: