Stockton/Malone played 18 seasons together and were eliminated in the 1st round 9 times

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Who was prime Robinson partnering with along the lines of Malone having Stockton? Who were the Spurs HOF coach prior to Pop?

Your post is a pivot
Um, Larry Brown coached the Spurs.

he's top 5 all-time

And Robinson had Sean Elliott, who was an all-star & for a while Dennis Rodman, the GOAT rebounder/ defender at his absolute peak.
Michael Jordan covered the complete fall off from 80s NBA quality I saw from the league in the 90s. shyt was atrocious and I said it in real time.
It was a combination of The Detroit Pistons bringing football to basketball & overexpansion with Minnesota, Miami, Orlando, Charlotte, Toronto, & Vancouver/Memphis.

They should've stopped expanding after Dallas in '80.

Maybe add the Miami Heat & or a team in Canada like Toronto.

Everybody didn't just forget how to play.

The sport just got a lot more physical, killing the beautiful basketball of the '80s.

They simply didn’t have the skill level to shoot as well as they do now. Get over yourselves. They shoot MORE threes today and at a HIGHER percentage.

Get over it.
Guys are more skilled today because they can be.

It's a lot easier to be skilled when you don't have to fight Anthony Mason & Rick Mahorn in order to be a "legit" 4 or 5.

The NBA today is basically the ball that Europe always played, but now the rules & lack of violence allows for the free flowing play

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your inability to talk Jazz basketball is a you issue.

MJ is the GOAT. Nothing about the choke artist team he faced twice in the finals changes that
I actually agree with a lot of what you are saying. But I also know you don't have an agenda like the other dyckryders in this thread.

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
Stockton sure did in Game 5.

It was crazy back then. Everyone thought the Mavs and the Jazz had next after taking the lakers to 7 in 88 and 89.
I'm referring to 98 since modern fans try to weaken the Jazz team to discredit Jordan. I looked through the Twitter thread and the poster also neglected to mention what happened in 98.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I'm referring to 98 since modern fans try to weaken the Jazz team to discredit Jordan. I looked through the Twitter thread and the poster also neglected to mention what happened in 98.
Malone getting stripped by MJ and missing that FT late was typical Jazz play.

I have to give them credit for overcoming scoring
54 points in game three. I didn’t watch another game that series until game six because I thought it was over after that.

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
Yeah, they were chokers, but.

It was also a lot tougher to win in the '80/'90s.

Back then, it was all Lakers, Celtics, 76ers, and then every once in a while , a team like Houston would break through, until Detroit broke the monotony

Something like 40 of the top 75 players played in the '80s & '90s.

By the time the NBA got a little more watered down due to overexpansion, Malone & Stockton were already in their 30s.

LV Koopa

Jester from Hell
Daps
Reppin
NYC
If you contest the three, that leaves more spacing on the floor.

Shooters are better today and the game is involved. But I’m going to repeat this because you obviously we’re not somebody who’s there at the time to witness it.

To watch the great play of stable teams up in the 80s…. Disappear in the 90s… are you going to tell me I’m wrong about that? You’re going to tell me there wasn’t a drop off and Quality?

90s NBA lives off of the “they played MJ hard” ethos.

That shyt was trash and was fall off the cliff ball compared to the 80s.

That boy dumb you wasting your time.

Offenses weren't designed around 3s for multiple reasons:

1.) Guys couldn't shoot it as well. You hear this a lot in interviews with older players. 3s were not emphasized.

2.) With the illegal defense rules you could just abuse 1vs1 matchups in the post and kick out to the obvious double. There were no pre-rotations allowed back then. Very easy to score in iso.

3.) Rule changes from the 03-04 season that had made defenses into juggernauts going into the 04-05 season started opening up the game for the offense. D'Antoni also started tinkering with things and you start seeing the Phoenix Suns murdering established defenses. This laid the groundwork for the GS and Houston offenses that would show up later.

Simply put the older era not only couldn't shoot 3s as well as modern guards, but they also weren't incentivized to do so. You put them guys vs a modern NBA team and they are simply getting cooked. The 90s NBA is some of the worst basketball to watch because most of talent was just lackluster compared to what you see today. The "modern" NBA really started to take off after the 01 season when the league was tinkering with rules to make the game more watchable and emphasize skills over terrible talent masquerading as "hard defense".

Illin Degenerate

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
ill defend them a little, they werent both full time starters til 87-88. their first 1st round exit in 1989 they were a 51 win team and got swept by a 43 win gs team. in that 3 game sweep both stockton and malone had monster series, 33 fgm and 30 fgm respectively. the rest of their starters had a combined 23. the next year as a 55 win team they lost again to the 54 win suns in a full 5 game series. they did lose the deciding game by 2 on their home court with stockton having a terrible shooting game but its important to note the suns were no.1 in net rating that year, the jazz were 6th. their next 1st round exit was as a 47 win team vs the no.1 net rating 55 win sonics that went a full 5 games. they did blow a 39-30 halftime lead in game 5 giving up 70 in the 2nd half and losing by 8. the 94-95 team was probably their best regular season team, 60 wins and no.1 in net rating. they lost to the 47 win rockets going a full 5 games. in a deciding game 5 at home they blew a 4th quarter lead and stockton had another terrible shooting game. the rockets however did go on to win the title.

so youre talking 4 out of 13 year stretch as starters where they got put out in the 1st round. once an embarrassing sweep to a much worse team, but it wasnt really their fault. the other 3 series all went to a deciding game against either a team that was no.1 in net rating or the eventual champ.

their last 1st round exit as a good team was in 2001 as a 53 win team vs the 53 win mavs where they lost the deciding game at home choking away a 14 pt lead entering the 4th quarter and losing by 1 with karl malone shooting 9-28 and john stockton only going 2-4. they clearly choked, but stockton was already 39 entering the playoffs and karl malone was less than 3 months from turning 38.

H.J.Duck

Superstar
Daps
Do yall think Barkley-Stockton woudve worked better than Malone-Stockton? Like let's say Stockton plays for the 92-93 Suns instead of Kevin Johnson, what changes? Or Barkley plays for the Jazz from 88 to 94 instead of Malone?

Street Knowledge

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The Jazz Finally getting to the finals in 97/98 was more about the rest of the west that used to shyt on them falling off than Stockton/Malone magically flipping the switch.

Stockton was past his prime by that point. In 1998 He didn’t make the all star team, or any all nba team.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Stockton and Mark Price are two guys that would be interesting to transport into today's game where they'd be told to shoot more. Maybe it wouldn't make a difference and they woulda been like Chris Paul and always left you wanting a little more anyway.
Mark Price had it in him to score. He was just a below 20 ppg scorer when he was cooking. Stockton never averaged above 17 ppg.