Still pickin' at fo'-fo':Dallas Cowboys Official 2016 War Room Thread

Who do you want?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
Didn't we have this convo already :birdman:. He was good enough to run for 230 with a 3rd string qb on a Alabama defense that hadn't given up a 100 yrd rusher all year. Had a 100 at half. Should i post more Gurley comparisons that say Zeke better :sas2:
Yes please do smitty. These dudes are talkin nonsense about Zeke. Nikkas comparing him to Melvin Gordon and saying he wont be as good as Alfred Morris :mjlol:

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
The defense was bad because the offense was horrible...forget touchdowns when Romo went out after that falcons game we struggled to get first downs...it's just to hard for a defense to lose the first down battle all the time and lose the field position all the time and still be able to hold it together for 60 minutes and win the game...that is why the defense gave up so many leads in the 4th...after so many 3 and outs and so many we start at the 18 and the other team starts at the 35 eventually they are going to break...

If Romo is healthy and Dez is healthy the defensive side won't matter much. The cowboys will be able to keep the chains moving due to how good romo is as a QB how good Dez is as a receiver and how good the line is at blocking. The defense for our 12 win season was pretty bad...they just lucked out and always got their hands on tipped balls and the offensive was so fukking good that the other teams offense was under enormous pressure to keep up because we were wining time of posession AND holding the ball forever...we get it and hold it for 5 minutes...touchdown...we get it and hold it for 4 minutes touchdown...we get it and hold it for 6 minutes touchdown...teams knew that when they got on offense they couldn't fukk around with that little dink and dunk stuff or fukk around just trying to get first down they needed some big plays and they needed them fast because when the offense got the ball...we were going to run it on first and second...throw it on 3rd and short...pick up the 1st...the rinse and repeat...and that clock was going to run and it was going to end in a murray goalline touchdown run or dez body slam a receiver and then redzone touchdown catch...

I don't understand why people keep harping on the defense...we lost a game because we couldn't score 10 points...we lost another game because we couldn't score 13 points...if you look at the final score of that patriots game it says 30 - 6 but if you actually watched that game you would know that the cowboys defense was so dominate in the 1st quarter and half of the 2nd quarter that the patriots just started exclusively running pick plays because Hardy was hitting tom brady every fukking time he dropped back to pass...
Im soooo confused cause I agree with you on this but you against Zeke? Don't tell me you on that new age RB ain't shyt flow? Honestly even if you are its more confusing after reading this where I completely agree and have said the same damn thing all in this thread.

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Didn't we have this convo already :birdman:. He was good enough to run for 230 with a 3rd string qb on a Alabama defense that hadn't given up a 100 yrd rusher all year. Had a 100 at half. Should i post more Gurley comparisons that say Zeke better :sas2:
Gurley is more explosive, faster, stronger, etc. I like Zeke but I don't see how he's better than Gurley, dude is a fukkin beast

Kal El

All Star
Daps
Reppin
USA
Yes please do smitty. These dudes are talkin nonsense about Zeke. Nikkas comparing him to Melvin Gordon and saying he wont be as good as Alfred Morris :mjlol:
when I saw the Melvin Gordon comparison :mjlol:

Zeke can catch and pass protect too... Fukk a platoon of DMC/Morris/Dunbar... using up 3 roster spots to get one skill from each of those players.

Zeke is all three of them combined.

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
This year I know mcrfadden can just run in a straight line for 1200 yards cause he already did it. I know Morris can be a good running back because he was a good one in Washington...I don't know where all this Morris isn't good talk comes from...dude ran for over a 1000 yards and over 4 yards a career for 3 straight years and in everyone of those years the QB play, offensive line play, and receiver play took a drastic step back...he only didn't do it last year because the racist skins somehow were more content to give it to that jones dude and let him fumble in the redzone repeatedly. I know those Dunbar dump off passes will work cause they worked for Weeden and Cassell...meaning they sure as shyt will work for a QB 100 times better than the both of them combined.
The biggest mistake you can make is assuming what happened last year will be the same this year. You know McFadden can rush for 1200 but can he stay healthy? Morris has continued to decline and should only be our short yardage back. Dunbar is a gadget back who will get hurt if he gets extended playing time. Zeke is the most durable RB in the draft and he's good/great at everything, our current group is good at one thing and average at best at other things. Morris was a 6th rd pick and the Redskins got everything they could get out of him.

lightskin jermaine

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Antonio
Grading the Eagles' moves: DeMarco Murray traded to Titans

Eagles get: Titans' fourth-round pick (No. 97 overall)
Titans get: Eagles' fourth-round pick (No. 110 overall), RB DeMarco Murray

this is the move dallas should have made this offseason. i would have loved to have lamar miller as well. my problem with them taking elliott at 4 is it will be a sign of the front office still not having a clear plan on building this team. why would you not do everything you can to sign murray and miller, just to resign dunbar and morris and theeeeennnn draft a back at the 4 spot?:mindblown:. it just doesn't make sense having that many capable backs with this offensive line and its a waste of cap space.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
I don't understand why the RB crowd thinks we have to take Zeke at 4 to have an elite running game. Do y'all want a RB or is it specifically just Zeke you want? YAll forget Murray was a 3rd round pick, and he didn't really do much till we gave him a GOAT oline. The next great Cowboys RB could just as easily be a Collins or Prosise in the 3rd or 4th round.
No offense but basically outside of QB couldn't you use that logic in every position?

As much as I disagree and go at cats at times, I just want people to know I like having other Boys fans (even with the occasional disagreements) to chop it up with. No matter who we pick I want them to do good just obviously hope its the person I want lol

BigE214

Future GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Groveside, TX
Y'all ain't tired of getting George Selvies?.
Glad you said this.

I don't have a problem with players as long as they're producing i.e our running game, Selvies by committee. But on the defensive side of the ball have all the bad Selvies. We have a chance to not get a George Selvie but instead, we want to address a position that's producing. Then fill in the gap with more Selvies :mjcry:

#AnybodyButOhioStateInTheFirstRound @smitty22

Ramsey
DT/WR
WR/DT
Dak/12 Gage

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
Gurley is more explosive, faster, stronger, etc. I like Zeke but I don't see how he's better than Gurley, dude is a fukkin beast
Again

:dahell:

NFL Draft 2016: Is Ezekiel Elliott a better prospect than Todd Gurley?
By Ben Natan@BGNatan on Apr 5, 2016, 8:00a 162

usa-today-9138181.0.jpg

Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

How do the elite running back prospects compare?

 TWEET SHARE (53)
With the tenth pick in the 2015 Draft, the Rams selected Georgia running back, Todd Gurley. His selection marked the first time a running back went in the first round since 2012. While some were critical of the pick at the time, it would be safe to assume that no one is questioning the selection of the reigning Offensive Rookie of the Year anymore. Despite missing the first few games of the season as Gurley recovered from an ACL tear he suffered his final year at Georgia, he went on a tear through the rest of the season, amassing 1,100 yards and 10 touchdowns in 13 games. He absolutely lived up to the billing and looks to be a staple in the Rams offense for years to come.

A year after his selection and months since his dominant rookie season finished, there are debates raging about another supremely talented running back prospect; Ezekiel Elliott. The Ohio State stud is thought by many, including me, to be one of the best, if not the best, player in this class. Despite his skill set, many still scoff at the idea of drafting a running back in the top ten, let alone the top five. But how does Elliott stack up to Gurley, who absolutely justified his selection? Let's break it down on a trait by trait basis...

Speed/Acceleration

The flashiest of the traits for a running back, Todd Gurley runs away (I'm sorry) with the linear athletic advantage. While no one is going to accuse Ezekiel Elliott of being a slowpoke, Gurley blend of incredible initial burst and long speed put him in an elite tier of NFL athletes. Elliott can absolutely run away from defenses, but his speed doesn't compare to the freakish Gurley.

Power/Tackle Breaking Ability

While Gurley is an immense athlete and shows freakish feats of strength, Elliott's power as a runner is evident on a much more consistent basis. Both welcome contact as runners, but Elliott's tremendous ability to get low and keep his legs churning making him a pain in the ass to tackle. Neither are lightweight, finesse backs and I am splitting hairs a bit, but that is the point. Elliott's blend of natural power, technique as a runner and aggressive mindset make him a terrific power runner.

Agility

This is a big win for Elliott. While Gurley makes impressive open field moves, Elliot's ability to change direction in tight quarters is truly marvelous to witness. Elliott has as good of change of direction abilities as I have seen from a running back which says a lot considering Elliot's size. Gurley is not a stiff runner in the slightest, but he is far more of a pure north/south type than Elliott.

Third Down Ability

Another win for Elliott, although it may be by way of exposure. Elliott was a big part of the passing game at Ohio, both as a pass catcher and blocker. Gurley has rarely been a big part of the passing game during his NFL and college career, though he has looked good when given the chances. Elliott's experience and evident savvy give him the win, however. He is an excellent receiver who can function as the primary target or a safety valve on any given passing play. The icing on the cake is how sound he is as a blocker. I don't really prioritize blocking for running backs, but it is hard to ignore how dependable Elliott is when asked to stay in as an extra protector. Elliott's can have an immediate impact for an NFL team on passing downs whereas it's still a bit of a guess how much Gurley will impact there during his career.

Above the shoulders...

In terms of pure vision and creativity, Ezekiel Elliott is Stanley Kubrick. Elliott's ability to anticipate holes opening as a runner and string together moves is awe inspiring. He is the type of player who will almost never get negative yardage and can make three yard runs into 15 yard runs. His ability to create separation as a running back is akin to how great route running wide receivers can get open. While their isn't necessarily a ton of pure speed, Elliott uses minute movements to get away from defenders. Gurley could create as a runner, but he often relied on his freakish athletic ability to do most of the work for him, which would work from time to time, but Elliott's Sherlock Holmes ability to find a crease and Houdini-esque escapability give him a massive edge. It is difficult to judge a running back's brains, but Elliott is one of the most cerebral players I have ever seen.

Ceiling

While this is more subjective, I do think Gurley has as high of a ceiling as any player in the NFL. His rare blend of size, speed and natural strength could make him a Hall of Fame level player. We're talking OJ Simpson/Jim Brown levels of legendary. There is still a lot of rawness to Gurley's game that he has to work through, but there is no denying what his athletic ability can afford him. As for Elliott, he may be maxed out as a player, so there is not much more of a ceiling to reach. However, the player he is now is one that can be a top five NFL running back for the next 8 years. Gurley, who is already a top ten back in the league, for sure has the edge in terms of what he can become as a player.

Durability

Gurley spent his entire college career dealing with various injuries. From various dings to serious leg injuries, Gurley has always had something going on, it seems. While Gurley was able to show out his rookie season, there is obvious reason for concern going forward as to how healthy he can stay. Elliott, on the other hand, has been incredibly durable during his time at Ohio State. He has been the bell cow through two straight seasons and never seemed to wear down. For sure that is encouraging considering how people harp on running back durability.

The Winner is...

If you were keeping score, Elliott is the better prospect. This is no slight to Gurley as a prospect or the player he is now, but Elliott's complete skill set as a player, the high level that he does just about everything, makes him too enticing of a prospect. Of course, Gurley is the much better athlete and can become something amazing, but in terms of the player they are each now? Take Elliott over Gurley every single time.

:ufdup:

I could post 20 more of these...

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
Glad you said this.

I don't have a problem with players as long as they're producing i.e our running game, Selvies by committee. But on the defensive side of the ball have all the bad Selvies. We have a chance to not get a George Selvie but instead, we want to address a position that's producing. Then fill in the gap with more Selvies :mjcry:

#AnybodyButOhioStateInTheFirstRound @smitty22

Ramsey
DT/WR
WR/DT
Dak/12 Gage
I respect that :ehh:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
The biggest mistake you can make is assuming what happened last year will be the same this year. You know McFadden can rush for 1200 but can he stay healthy? Morris has continued to decline and should only be our short yardage back. Dunbar is a gadget back who will get hurt if he gets extended playing time. Zeke is the most durable RB in the draft and he's good/great at everything, our current group is good at one thing and average at best at other things. Morris was a 6th rd pick and the Redskins got everything they could get out of him.

I don't think Morris declined. I think his team got progressively worse and then Washington decided to not pay him and phased him out last year...

And I disagree that a guy who runs for over 4 yards a career for his career should be viewed as a "short yardage back". You not maximizing his talent if you only put him in to get 2 yards when if you look at his career numbers he typically gets 4 when he touches it...

If we use him like that it was a waste of money even if it was just a little money...we could have gotten our fullback who is friends with Denzel to get them short yards...

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No offense but basically outside of QB couldn't you use that logic in every position?

As much as I disagree and go at cats at times, I just want people to know I like having other Boys fans (even with the occasional disagreements) to chop it up with. No matter who we pick I want them to do good just obviously hope its the person I want lol
you can use that argument for every position, but you look at the data...it shows its much easier to find a stud RB in later rounds then a DB. you can still find stud db's in later rounds, but its nowhere near as frequent as it is with rb's

BigE214

Future GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Groveside, TX
If the offense were to stay stagnant and not add any pieces they would still be a top 5-10 unit in the league with a healthy Dez and Romo

If the defense didn't add anyone they would be a 30-32. Do we really need to address the offense. Even moreso with the FOURTH pick.

Defense is so bad that people are wanting the offense to be the defense by playing keep away and still don't wanna address the defense cause they wanna run with Zeke behind our line on Madden :heh:

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
If the offense were to stay stagnant and not add any pieces they would still be a top 5-10 unit in the league with a healthy Dez and Romo

If the defense didn't add anyone they would be a 30-32. Do we really need to address the offense. Even moreso with the FOURTH pick.

Defense is so bad that people are wanting the offense to be the defense by playing keep away and still don't wanna address the defense cause they wanna run with Zeke behind our line on Madden :heh:
So the addition of Ramsey will make this defense a top 10 D :stopitslime:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I don't think Morris declined. I think his team got progressively worse and then Washington decided to not pay him and phased him out last year...

And I disagree that a guy who runs for over 4 yards a career for his career should be viewed as a "short yardage back". You not maximizing his talent if you only put him in to get 2 yards when if you look at his career numbers he typically gets 4 when he touches it...

If we use him like that it was a waste of money even if it was just a little money...we could have gotten our fullback who is friends with Denzel to get them short yards...
Matt Jones was a part of that bad team and he was more productive than Morris, we're taking up 3 roster spots because we don't have 1 back to carry the load.