Steven Spielberg to Direct ‘Ready Player One’

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
jus got back. it as cool...leaned a little too much on nostalgia...but it is what it is. Never read the book, but thought it was a good popcorn flick.

Shining Sequence was by far my favorite part...and my fave line was It's fukking chucky!

shyt outside the oasis, barring the last half was pretty dull...main character was :ld:, lil ass asian kid was probably the funniest one and TJ miller's one liners.

overall...prob gonna cop to see all the lil references but as a story :manny:

General Mills

More often than not I tend to take that L.
Daps
Reppin
Piffsburgh, PA
I’m going to see it next week. I was a fan of the book.

In my opinion something like this needed to be fully fleshed out and it’s too much for one movie. To tell the story truthfully you can’t cram it into one movie.

I was also disappointed with Enders Game. One of the best sci-fi books I have read but they had to really rush thru the movie when they could have told the story better and made it flow better with two movies

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
Movie was okay. It was funny and I was looking throughout the movie for Easter eggs here and there.

That chick having the bike from Akira though :banderas:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I had a blast with the first two acts.

I did feel the third Act was too long. And they also yada yada'd some of my favorite parts and much of the character development..

They definitely changed the prison part which is my favorite part of the book. I know things will always get changed with adaptations but still. It somehow feels rushed but also too long. And got a bit Spielbergy at the end.

@General Mills is right maybe it would work better as a series. Still not mad I saw it

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
The whole concept of the movie was not that. The concept of the movie was a challenge within a worldwide VR playfield. All the pop culture characters was just a nostalgia distraction from the fact the story itself was shyt and had no plausible structure to it.

Think about the end part:
IOI is using hundreds of guys to win the third challenge but still hadn't gotten any of the first two keys that were also necessary to win the prize. So despite the movie's hardest attempts to put something on the line, there never was.

They did zero effort to create any internal rules, let alone follow the few rules that actually were there, and there is no way I will give them a pass for that just because Spawn, Master Chief, Chun-Li and Batman are all together in the movie.
That's on Spielberg. Cline fleshed out the characters and story way more than that.

Though some changes were necessary such as changing all the wargames references and having to play through the movie.

I think the animation will age like the 2007 Beowulf.

I kinda like it but its gonna look ass in a few yrs.

5 Major Changes Between The Ready Player One Book And Movie

Last edited:

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
I had a blast with the first two acts.

I did feel the third Act was too long. And they also yada yada'd some of my favorite parts and much of the character development..

They definitely changed the prison part which is my favorite part of the book. I know things will always get changed with adaptations but still. It somehow feels rushed but also too long. And got a bit Spielbergy at the end.

@General Mills is right maybe it would work better as a series. Still not mad I saw it
It never would have gotten made. The only reason they got so many IPs is because they wanted to work with spielberg. Plus no one is making a tv show with this kind of budget

Sex Luthor

I'm like kryptonite to these thots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
The whole concept of the movie was not that. The concept of the movie was a challenge within a worldwide VR playfield. All the pop culture characters was just a nostalgia distraction from the fact the story itself was shyt and had no plausible structure to it.

Think about the end part:
IOI is using hundreds of guys to win the third challenge but still hadn't gotten any of the first two keys that were also necessary to win the prize. So despite the movie's hardest attempts to put something on the line, there never was.

They did zero effort to create any internal rules, let alone follow the few rules that actually were there, and there is no way I will give them a pass for that just because Spawn, Master Chief, Chun-Li and Batman are all together in the movie.
I didn't even think about that. (The spoiler part). I never heard of the book but I read the manga sword art online and it was hard not to compare it. This movie was better than I expected it. People saying the characters were flat is bc it's still a teen to kids movie at heart. Most young people don't care about character depth and development. I liked it overall tho

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
It never would have gotten made. The only reason they got so many IPs is because they wanted to work with spielberg. Plus no one is making a tv show with this kind of budget
Those easter eggs/IP are, or at least should be secondary to the story.

I guess you haven't caught wind of what Amazon is spending on their new shows or what netflix drops.

ELESDEE616

Nikkas snitch on the coli like they name is Kobe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kobe snitched on Shaq
I liked it. Like a old school feel good put a smile on your face Spiel flick. No major deaths, good guys win ect.

When the Japanese kid said "I choose Gundam" everyone in the theater was like
tenor.gif

In reality that shyt would be nothing but sex and degeneracy. :mjlol:

Last edited:

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
I liked it. Like a old school feel good put a smile on your face Spiel flick. No major deaths, good guys win ect.

When the Japanese kid said "I choose Gundam" everyone in the theater was like
tenor.gif

In reality that shyt would be nothing but sex and degeneracy. :mjlol:
The fat woman in the beginning was stripping with her pole:pachaha:

Alfred0Santana

I used to drop Lewinsky off at the White House.
Daps
Saw this with a female who barely even knew a bunch of the references and she ended up just as into as me lol. Talking and cheering for dude and shyt :lolbron:.

I smoked before we went so I was extra good. That first race start shyt so perfect right out the gate. It was money well spent off that scene alone:wow:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I give it a 6/10. The world felt underdeveloped and the rules for the game world wasn't established well. Like at all. I hate lazy sci-fi and casual/fake nerd culture shyt.

Felt like half the movie was Spielberg going "DO YOU REMEMBER CHUN LI? REMEMBER IRON GIANT? REMEMBER GUNDAM?" Like I dig the cameos just because of who I am, but the whole story just felt flimsy. Lack of police virtually the whole movie in that world. Just a lack of so much. Not to mention the relationship building just felt cheap and too fast. I feel like I'm being generous with the score, but I did really enjoy the visuals. Especially enjoyed getting to the first key visually. But I dunno. Guess I need to lower my expectations for blockbusters again.

Will say that the one F bomb allowed in this one was probably the best I remember since First Class. shyt was unexpected and that whole bit from that scene was great. The best parts of this movie are mostly due to nostalgia and seeing those characters like this.

Edit: Maybe I'm being a bit hard. Upon reflection I'm going to give it a 7/10. The side characters were for the most part really charming. The main character's overall arc was just too cheesy, samesy, and predictable. Just the ultimate good guy type shyt. But movie was still decent.

Edit 2: 6.5/10. I cannot in good faith give this a 7. Too much dumb shyt. Spielberg needs to tighten this shyt up. It ain't the 80s anymore

Maybe the book does a better job explaining it, but I don't think the movie did a good job explaining to me WHY control of the Oasis was so important. From what I gather, the Oasis is not "The Internet", its a *game* that runs on the internet that basically ate all other online games. So...what is stopping someone from just making another game? Why is that worth blowing up a building and killing dozens of people?

If I were the main character, I would have IMMEDIATELY hit the "OFF" button as soon as they showed it to me. Then just walk away with my $500,000,000 and do whatever I want in the real world.

I have to admit, the "Memberberries" really got me at some points though. When the Iron Giant was fighting MechaGozzilla, the rational part of my brain turned off and all I could think was "USE YOUR DAMN CHEST CANNON!!". And as you mentioned I really loved the
Chucky
scene because I was totally unspoiled about it and it caught me totally by surprise.

Also, I felt really superior for a couple of seconds when I realized that the magic spell to turn off the Orb thing was the "Charm of Making" spell from the movie Excalibur, and I thought I might be the ONLY one in the Imax theater to get the reference. Which was
A. probably not true
and
B. a pretty pointless reference.

I DID like the "Black Mirror"-style hints that maybe the creator of the Oasis uploaded his mind into the system, though.