Steven Spielberg is the Greatest Director of All Time.....

peyo32

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
East Los Angeles
Oliver Stone films are great also but hes more edgy. Speilberg knows his demography and doesnt take risk. I like Christopher Nolan and Ben Stiller are putting in the work right now.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
not as big a fan as when i was a kid. Munich is probably my favorite film of his. other than that, props to him for producing the Back To The Future trilogy.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Oliver Stone films are great also but hes more edgy. Speilberg knows his demography and doesnt take risk. I like Christopher Nolan and Ben Stiller are putting in the work right now.
You talking about another Ben Stiller :heh:

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I'd have to disagree saying Spike Lee isn't in the same caliber as at least 3 people on your list (Coppola, Bergman, and Cameron). In my opinion Spike Lee has at least 3 movies that are absolute flawless films, films that I would consider true landmarks in cinema. Do The Right Thing, Malcolm X and his documentary 4 Little Girls are quite possibly some of the most gripping, supremely written, shot and edited films of all time. Not only that, they step out of the realm of just blockbuster or entertainment and will go down as STATEMENT films that both polarized and inspired their audiences. His very first film She's Gotta Have It was a landmark in Independent Cinema at the time of its release and was a major help in the independent film renaissance that followed. You simply CANNOT deny Spike's influence and impact as a filmmaker.

Ok if we are just talking influence Spike nowhere near those guys, I don't deny Spike's influence it's just plain and simple. If you ask someone you name a gangster movie they will most likley say Godfather, even tho they are 12 years old and haven't seen it. Most of the directors we have named here (that are alive) have said Bergman is one of the best directors ever and Camron made the top 2 of the highest grossing films ever, doesn't get much more influencial then that.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Ok if we are just talking influence Spike nowhere near those guys, I don't deny Spike's influence it's just plain and simple. If you ask someone you name a gangster movie they will most likley say Godfather, even tho they are 12 years old and haven't seen it. Most of the directors we have named here (that are alive) have said Bergman is one of the best directors ever and Camron made the top 2 of the highest grossing films ever, doesn't get much more influencial then that.

See the exact reason I named Cameron is because he gets widely overrated because of his box office success. Since when did Box Office numbers automatically mean the movie in question is of great quality? Titanic was pretty much a corny redundant love story made popular by a legion of Pre-teen white girls who were horny for Leonardo Di'caprio. Avatar (though enjoyable) is nothing more story wise than Dances With Wolves with blue aliens, hardly a cinematic masterpiece. Neither of those movies are comparable to the complexities outlined and brought to screen that Do The Right Thing presented. Titanic as a tragic love story cannot even compare in writing or script to Jungle Fever. Again, Cameron makes great blockbusters, but Spielberg has created true CLASSIC films that happened to turn out to BECOME blockbusters so I'd give Spielberg consideration over Cameron. But Cameron over Spike Lee? And just because of his box office success? You might as well throw Gore Verbinski on your list bruh:heh:

StraxStrax

Daps
See the exact reason I named Cameron is because he gets widely overrated because of his box office success. Since when did Box Office numbers automatically mean the movie in question is of great quality? Titanic was pretty much a corny redundant love story made popular by a legion of Pre-teen white girls who were horny for Leonardo Di'caprio. Avatar (though enjoyable) is nothing more story wise than Dances With Wolves with blue aliens, hardly a cinematic masterpiece. Neither of those movies are comparable to the complexities outlined and brought to screen that Do The Right Thing presented. Titanic as a tragic love story cannot even compare in writing or script to Jungle Fever. Again, Cameron makes great blockbusters, but Spielberg has created true CLASSIC films that happened to turn out to BECOME blockbusters so I'd give Spielberg consideration over Cameron. But Cameron over Spike Lee? And just because of his box office success? You might as well through Gore Verbinski on your list bruh:heh:

Dude has made 2 movies in 15 years and they are #1 and #2 all time in highest gross. I'm just talking influence but ok whatever let's say Cameron never even made Avatar and Titanic he still would be rated above Lee in influence because of The Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, T2 and True Lies (I like it). Like I said; Lee is good but we are talking about the gods of filmmaking.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
Lincoln Total Box Office
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $132,039,000
Domestic Summary

The fact the man can take a drama like "Lincoln" to Blockbuster Status and it hasn't even opened overseas yet. You have to give it up to the GOAT. Sure there are better technical film makers out there like Hitchcock and Kubrick. There are some better overall writer/directors. But Steven is the complete package. His versatility is unreal, his movies seem to appeal to damn near everyone. He's success in in pretty much every genre it's unbelievable. And all his films are just summer Blockbusters. He's taken Historical Epics like "Schindler's List and Color Purple" to good numbers as well as War films like "Private Ryan'. He's touched on so many topics through his films. How many Classics does this man have? So many. Not to mention his producer catalog is Epic and features The Back To The Future Trilogy. Dude is untouchable at this point. He's the GOAT and everyone knows it:

Steven_Spielberg.jpg

Steven Spielberg filmography - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know this next statement is probably untrue but logically speaking this movie should have no international appeal.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City

I like Oliver, he's a really good writer and director. He also has a very solid Catalog:

SALVADOR
SCARFACE (Writer)
CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Writer)
PLATOON
WALL STREET
BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY
THE DOORS
NATURAL BORN KILLERS
JFK

"U Turn" was pretty good also. But "Nixon and W" were uneven and not as good as "JFK". Did anyone see "Savages" yet? Heard Stone return to form on that one.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I like Oliver, he's a really good writer and director. He also has a very solid Catalog:

SALVADOR
SCARFACE (Writer)
CONAN THE BARBARIAN (Writer)
PLATOON
WALL STREET
BORN ON THE 4TH OF JULY
THE DOORS
NATURAL BORN KILLERS
JFK

"U Turn" was pretty good also. But "Nixon and W" were uneven and not as good as "JFK". Did anyone see "Savages" yet? Heard Stone return to form on that one.

Savages had quite possible one of the dumbest endings EVER

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
lincoln_poster_120822_360.jpg

GRADE = A+

Joint was Epic from beginning to end. I'm glad it wasn't a straight up Bio Pic that showed Lincoln's life from childhood to Presidency. Steven focus 100% on the Last Days of Lincoln life and the drama behind the Civil War and Freeing Slaves. It was an amazing thing to watch and I expect this movie to win Big during the Globes and Oscars. Daniel Day killed it. This is the type of movie that they will be playing in History Classes in the future. It was that good. This was Steven's 3rd film dealing with Blacks struggle in America but this time he told it through a President's eyes.

StraxStrax

Daps
Rewatched Murder on the Orient Express because of this thread.
Fantastic.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
i've been a fan of scorcese even he basically makes the same type of movie each time.