Steve Kerr explained how Michael Jordan scared all his teammates into being better basketball player

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
Duncan was looked at as a leader amongst players. shyt, there's a reason why players looked towards Duncan for advice on how to be a leader

Blake Griffin Asked Tim Duncan How to Become a Leader and Winner

Go to 1:48. Looks like a leader to me :manny:
Also, you're comparing a coach to a player :dahell:

You're basically saying Duncan wasn't a real leader because he didn't look at himself as superior to the rest of the players, which proves my original point about the narrative being pushed that you have to be a maniacal a$$hole to be a real leader and therefore win. Which is why ya'll love and praise the totalitarian ways of Jordan and Kobe and act like that's the only way you can be to win as a leader

You're projecting like shyt. Nobody is saying that being a maniacal, psychotic a$$hole when it comes to winning is the ONLY way to be a leader

all I'm saying is that if you were there, alive and cognizant to see it, then you're lucky. That sense of inevitability that opponents felt when they got on the court against Black Cat? It was a fukking site to behold. :wow:

and this is where y'all dummies fukked up in the first place, trying to throw Duncan in the same conversation as MJ :mjlol:

Like, that's a ridiculous leap in logic :heh:

Timmy is an accomplished dude, but he's nowhere near being in the rarefied air(pun intemded) of MJ

y'all can bytch, complain, cry, and juelz all you want about "you don't have to be an a$$hole to win :mjcry:" when the point is MJ being that driven is what separates him from others in the conversation :manny:

you fakkits just pissed whoever you stan doesn't and won't measure up to the gold standard he set so you try to take the thing that drove him to be better than everybody else and turn it into some kind of negative :umad:

Last edited:

Roland Coltrane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
AA GANG
I was actually just listening to a podcast talking about this, and how in other careers we accept people of wildly different approaches to their craft, while in sports and especially basketball, everyone acts like if you're not an MJ type psycho then you're doing it wrong.

People gloss over the fact that MJ struggled for years to be the actual leader and had to learn to be more calculating in his a$$hole tendencies, which he himself would tell you.

this is inaccurate

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Phil even said Kobe didn't really become worthy as a leader until around 08. He had MJs worth ethic and personality but was too much of a moody introvert weirdo and acted pike a crybaby at times.

My favorite quote was that the difference between Kobe and then MJ/Shaq is if Phil asked MJ/Shaq to do something they'd complain but do it...but when he asked Kobe, he'd say he would do it and then ignore him completely :lolbron:
That's literally a Biblical proverb :ohhh::whoo:

The Parable of the Two Sons

“Now, what do you think? There was once a man who had two sons. He went to the older one and said, ‘Son, go and work in the vineyard today.’ ‘I don't want to,’ he answered, but later he changed his mind and went. Then the father went to the other son and said the same thing. ‘Yes, sir,’ he answered, but he did not go. Which one of the two did what his father wanted?”

“The older one,” they answered.

So Jesus said to them, “I tell you: the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the Kingdom of God ahead of you. For John the Baptist came to you showing you the right path to take, and you would not believe him; but the tax collectors and the prostitutes believed him. Even when you saw this, you did not later change your minds and believe him."

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 21:28-32 - Good News Translation

Phil ain't even being low-key with the subliminals. :wow:

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Meanwhile

PinkFaroffChevrotain-size_restricted.gif

:mjpls:

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
and this is where y'all dummies fukked up in the first place, trying to throw Duncan in the same conversation as MJ :mjlol:

Like, that's a ridiculous leap in logic :heh:

Timmy is an accomplished dude, but he's nowhere near being in the rarefied air(pun intemded) of MJ
:dahell:

Breh, I never threw Duncan in the same conversation as MJ or insinuated that he's close to MJ. And I grew up a fan of MJ, I feel honored to have been able to witness his final years (wish I would have gotten to see him at his peak live). So I ain't mad at shyt breh. Now you're the one projecting shyt :mjlol:

I simply was praising Duncan's leadership, because the MJ/Kobe type personality is overly praised and looked at as the gold standard, so it's refreshing to see something different.

Daps
"You've got to compete. That's probably the biggest thing I learned from him."
:wow:

That's the thing with MJ. He didn't have to make up some "mentality" or give himself some nickname for you to see what he was about. You knew he was going to compete. Every single night.

He had a crazy will but what separated him is that his talent, athletic ability, decision making and skill all matched that unmatched will.

With kobe, I feel like he had the will, but the talent, athletic ability, decision making and skill couldnt match that will to the point where he could impose his will on the game, take it over and strike fear in everyone, teammates included.

Bron...we already know he checks out of games mentally for whatever reason, holds back and isn't going to comete every night for a whole game if something causes him to pout.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Phil even said Kobe didn't really become worthy as a leader until around 08. He had MJs worth ethic and personality but was too much of a moody introvert weirdo and acted pike a crybaby at times.

My favorite quote was that the difference between Kobe and then MJ/Shaq is if Phil asked MJ/Shaq to do something they'd complain but do it...but when he asked Kobe, he'd say he would do it and then ignore him completely :lolbron:

Stephen A said something similar. He said the biggest difference between Jordan and Kobe is the fact Kobe is more straight forward no nonsense business focused than Jordan who was a bit more of a people person and hung out with teammates. Both were intimidating to teammates but Jordan also laughed and partied with them at times. Showing some of that humanity is what made his ruthlessness more likeable.

Compare that to Kobe who didn't hang out with teammates and thus created more resentment than love with his ruthless leadership style. It wasn't until 2008 when Kobe himself said he started being more of a people person and his teammates began to respond better to his tough leadership style.

You're not breaking any news. Kobe admitted this himself. He said he had to learn people weren't as psychotically driven as he was to succeed. So he had to lighten up and be more personable at times to get his teammates to like him more so they didn't resent his tough leadership style when they were on the court.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
With kobe, I feel like he had the will, but the talent, athletic ability, decision making and skill couldnt match that will to the point where he could impose his will on the game, take it over and strike fear in everyone, teammates included.

:what: Except he did.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Bron...we already know he checks out of games mentally for whatever reason, holds back and isn't going to comete every night for a whole game if something causes him to pout.
That claimed difference has a lot more to do with perception that reality.

Kobe infamous for quitting multiple times in loses and not scoring in the 4th. :skip:

Pretend that this game never happened, where he was pissed at Shaq and so decided not to try. Didn't take a shot the entire 1st half, then went 0-6 with three missed layups and a turnover in the 4th, Lakers lose to Kings:

Los Angeles Lakers at Sacramento Kings Box Score, April 11, 2004 | Basketball-Reference.com

Or pretend this playoff game never happened. Butt-hurt about getting his shyt pushed in against the Suns, so he stops trying after the 1st quarter of a Game 7 and doesn't hit another shot the whole game:

Los Angeles Lakers at Phoenix Suns Box Score, May 6, 2006 | Basketball-Reference.com

Might have to pretend this finals game never happened either. Goes 0-4 and didn't score a single point in the 4th quarter of another season-ending blowout:

Los Angeles Lakers at Boston Celtics Box Score, June 17, 2008 | Basketball-Reference.com

And damn, this one too is just about there. Goes 0-2 with a turnover and only hits two FTs in the 4th of another season-ending blowout.

Los Angeles Lakers at Dallas Mavericks Box Score, May 8, 2011 | Basketball-Reference.com

That's FOUR big games anyone can remember where Kobe gave up in the 4th and didn't do shyt.

I think if you really have indomitable will, then then greatest test of that is how you play when you're behind in playoff series and how you play when your back is against the wall. And Kobe has one of the worst elimination game records for a superstar in NBA history while LeBron has the absolute best.

22-6-4 on 41% shooting and a 9-10 record
33-11-7 on 48% shooting and a 15-10 record

Why does LeBron so often get better as the series progresses, while Kobe gets worse? Why does LeBron have the famous come-from-behind performances and coming back from 3-1 and 3-2 deficits with no will, while Kobe with all that will is the one who gave up the 3-1 lead?

LeBron with that 2007 Game 5 against the Pistons, 2008 Game 7 against the Celtics, 2009 entire series against the Magic, 2012 Game 4 against the Pacers, 2012 Game 6 against the Celtics, 2013 Games 6 and 7 against the Spurs, 2015 entire postseason, 2016 Games 5-6-7 against the Warriors, and entire 2018 postseason showed that he has incredible will to compete.

Last edited:

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That claimed difference has a lot more to do with perception that reality.

Kobe infamous for quitting multiple times in loses and not scoring in the 4th. :skip:

Pretend that this game never happened, where he was pissed at Shaq and so decided not to try. Didn't take a shot the entire 1st half, then went 0-6 with three missed layups and a turnover in the 4th, Lakers lose to Kings:

Los Angeles Lakers at Sacramento Kings Box Score, April 11, 2004 | Basketball-Reference.com

Or pretend this playoff game never happened. Butt-hurt about getting his shyt pushed in against the Suns, so he stops trying after the 1st quarter of a Game 7 and doesn't hit another shot the whole game:

Los Angeles Lakers at Phoenix Suns Box Score, May 6, 2006 | Basketball-Reference.com

Might have to pretend this finals game never happened either. Goes 0-4 and didn't score a single point in the 4th quarter of another season-ending blowout:

Los Angeles Lakers at Boston Celtics Box Score, June 17, 2008 | Basketball-Reference.com

And damn, this one too is just about there. Goes 0-2 with a turnover and only hits two FTs in the 4th of another season-ending blowout.

Los Angeles Lakers at Dallas Mavericks Box Score, May 8, 2011 | Basketball-Reference.com

That's FOUR big games anyone can remember where Kobe gave up in the 4th and didn't do shyt.

I think if you really have indomitable will, then then greatest test of that is how you play when you're behind in playoff series and how you play when your back is against the wall. And Kobe has one of the worst elimination game records for a superstar in NBA history while LeBron has the absolute best.

22-6-4 on 41% shooting and a 9-10 record
33-11-7 on 48% shooting and a 15-10 record

Why does LeBron so often get better as the series progresses, while Kobe gets worse? Why does LeBron have the famous come-from-behind performances and coming back from 3-1 and 3-2 deficits with no will, while Kobe with all that will is the one who gave up the 3-1 lead?

LeBron with that 2007 Game 5 against the Pistons, 2008 Game 7 against the Celtics, 2009 entire series against the Magic, 2012 Game 4 against the Pacers, 2012 Game 6 against the Celtics, 2013 Games 6 and 7 against the Spurs, 2015 entire postseason, 2016 Games 5-6-7 against the Warriors, and entire 2018 postseason showed that he has incredible will to compete.
You can type all the bullshyt you want. There is zero credence to the argument that Kobe is a quitter. Period. You wont find a player or coach that would say that in good faith. Give up the Kobe hate. Spend your time more productively, cause this ain't it.