State your unpopular comic book character opinion

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Good thread, brehs.

-Was a big Spider-Man fan when I was younger. However, my interest for the character dropped big time after Spider Man 3 (what a bad movie).

-Got tired of wolverine.

-Batman is insane. It's no wonder he and the joker fit so well.

-Always had an appreciation for Wonder Women. I hope her movie does great.

-Didn't care much about Cap. As time went on, I have much more respect for him as a character.

-I find Cybord somewhat boring.

-Aquaman is not a scrub.

-Superman is a far better character than many out there think.

-Wally West > Barry Allen.

-Superman with Wonder Woman is a better fit than Batman and Wonder Woman.

-Adrian Veidt of Watchmen: Top 5 comic book character.

-Watchmen the movie (directors cut) > The Dark Knight

-Was originally against Michael B. Jordan being Johnny storm due to changing johnny's race. I'm a bit indifferent about it now.

-Black Panther and Storm's divorce and its aftermath did far more damage to Storm than BP.

-Storm, for all her potential, is a lost, stale character at this point. It seems none of her x-writers want her to evolve beyond teaching the students. And even then, she gets outshines by Emma Frost and others on that regard.

The only writers that have written Storm to showcase some humanity, outside of Clairemont, were BP's writers.

Also, unlike the iconic (or other potientially iconic) characters, she doesn't have her own world, her raison D'être, etc. And even within the X-verse she's treated almost as a background character. Hence when her solo came out, ultimately no one gave a shyt.

Her married to BP would've really helped her sales but Marvel had to shyt on that.

-Though the overall story is pretty good, I don't like Hickman's take of BP on New Avengers.

-Despite a rough start, I felt Hudlin's BP run had some very good (and fun) story arcs.

-the big 2 seem to have a dislike / strong indifference for Black Male - Black Female superhero couples. (Only one, BP and Storm, after all these years).

-Black Panther = the most important black character of the big 2.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
x-men-by-paul-smith.jpg

^ This should have been the squad on X-men:TAS (plus Phoenix)

• I like Wolverine, but I'm sick of him at the same time. The other X men deserve more shine in the cartoons and movies (see the above picture for reference)

• Gambit is kind of overrated (I know that one's gonna sound blasphemous to y'all)

WhenWeWereKings

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Gonna deviate abit......

-House of M killed the X-Men franchise

-Peter Milligan's X-Force/X Statix run was just as good as Morrison's New X-Men run

-Morrison's vision for the X-Men was genius and this is the direction the X books should have expanded upon, the moment the reset button was hit the X books became unreadable.

-Jurgen's Thor run is a criminally underrated comic book run and is the best modern Thor run

-Aquaman has had one of the best books for the past few years

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
well in his example it was by casting wolverine in a role that is traditionally played by cyclops, relegating him to more of supporting character when in fact he has always been the lead.

making wolverine the leader of the x men is like making raphael the leader of the turtles. that ain't his place. he is engaging as a character because of his refusal to follow orders. if he's the one handing them out you strip the character of perhaps his most defining layer.

wolverine wasn't meant to be the front man. he's the lead guitarist. the breakout star, but not the face of the band. cyclops was always the lead singer.

Its called character evolution (and marketing :sas1: )

Fact is, Wolverine is quite an adept leader and has led the X-Men and several other teams on multiple occasions, he is however not Cyclops's equal in this factor.

The cartoon Wolverine & the X-Men's whole point was flipping the dynamic between Logan and Scott with Wolverine being the leader of the team and Cyclops being a dark brooding loner since in every other incarnation of X-Men it was the other way around. Can't they give you something different once in a while? :dahell:

AND the cartoon was branding because they had plans to launch a new comic with the same title that focused on Wolverine leading the X-Men around the same time, timing messed that up tho.

And Wolverine is and always has been the breakout star of the X-Men. He's been the only one that has been able to hold down several solo titles for decades because he has a very dynamic and engaging character and story. I love Cyclops too, but for an extended period of time, he wasn't an engaging character, good writing and character evolution has changed that and RIGHT NOW because of that, Cyclops is getting more play now than he ever has in history.

Why is character evolution a good thing for Cyclops and bad for Wolverine?

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Anytime there's an X-men movie or cartoon, Wolverine pretty much gets ALL the focus and everybody else is side character status. Look at the first couple X-men movies, and compare how much attention Wolverine got in comparison to Cyclops, even though Cyclops is the leader and Wolverine already has three solo movies. Anytime Wolverine is around the plot automatically focuses on him and other characters get ignored.

Look, we ALL respect Cyclops and like him NOW, but let's not ignore history like he hasn't had the reputation of being one of the most BORING and by the book characters in comics. He has layers of depth to him, but those layers didn't always exist. Wolverine has ALWAYS been a deeper and more complex character than Scott but they help each other grow because they have a great dynamic between each other. Wolverine is also much more well liked and popular character than most characters period, how you gonna blame them for going with the sure fire thing?

That said, if you like Cyclops, are YOU buying Cyclops's solo and Uncanny X-Men? :sas1:

But I mean for real though, how many times can Luthor pull out some Kryptonite or make a Kryptonite weapon before shyt gets old and predictable? It's damn near all he does.

Once again, characters are a lot deeper than their stereotypes when you actually take the time to learn about them. Luthor is MUCH MUCH more than green K and HATE Superman...

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
And that wasn't a diss or anything...cartoons and comics have portrayed luthor as Dependant on kryptonite and whatnot hella hard but its not a core go to for him. Getting metallo or parasite or someone to go at superman in the physical while he runs for office or some shyt is more like it.

Luthor is a boss of all bosses...he is more like kingpin than Dr. doom. And he is smarter than doom and 1000x more powerful than kingpin

Smarter is debateable

Less effective is not :sas2:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
And that wasn't a diss or anything...cartoons and comics have portrayed luthor as Dependant on kryptonite and whatnot hella hard but its not a core go to for him. Getting metallo or parasite or someone to go at superman in the physical while he runs for office or some shyt is more like it.

Luthor is a boss of all bosses...he is more like kingpin than Dr. doom. And he is smarter than doom and 1000x more powerful than kingpin
Bite your tongue! You speak of the Sovereign Monarch of Latveria :hmm:

TNC

Hardbody
Daps
Luthor became president of a country who hated him as an ex felon

Doom has taken over Earth twice and gave it up because he got bored and BEEN a King of his own country. Keep in mind tho, Doom is the Godfather of his archenemy's daughter AND part of his team, Luthor still trying to join the JLA. Luthor is good, but Doom is superior.