Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Official Thread)

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Honestly I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't hate this movie. :heh:

It wasn't great and I disagree with some of the plot choices (killing Snoke and Luke, in particular) and I thought Finn could've been better used, but I didn't think the movie was horrible. If nothing else I was entertained. That said, all these white guys whining about having too many female/nonwhite characters is massively annoying. But I guess that's more a reflection of America in 2018 than anything else.

One thing I did like was what they did with Rey's parents. Having her be a Skywalker or related to someone important would've been predictable and wouldn't really have added anything to the story. It's more interesting for her to have to deal with the fact that her parents are irrelevant.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This. All these alt-right cacs crying about too many female and non-white characters distracted from the fact that the main flaw of this movie is disastrous writing. They could have had an all female lesbian cast led by an asian transgender for all i care, if the movie would have made sense, but it didn't. It's too long, it's boring, the pacing is fukked up,the story is all over the place and basically said fukk it to everything the previous movie set up. It felt like Johnson had a chip on his shoulder trying to prove that he was better than jj abrams and wrote the script on a coke binge. Truly truly terrible movie, the only redeeming thing about it are the visuals.
I’m not upset about the diversity but the way they portrayed all the main male characters in this movie was so bad. Finn and Poe were bumbling idiots. I mean POE leads a mutiny against Laura Dern, who I think literally wandered on set, after being kept in the dark while some shyt speed like plot is occurring. Then he gets smacked down by Leia who was in a comma two minutes earlier. It was like he was a petulant child. Calling him flyboy and shyt :dahell: Finn being lead around and saved by some random Asian engineer. And yet that clown killed Phasma, who is an even poorer boba fett and is basically wild e coyote status. I’m sure she will pop up in ep 9 to be humiliated again. Luke being a complete sulking weirdo who wanted or thought about killing a young Kyle. Even though TROJ had him trying to convince everyone that Vader, a more hardened sith, was worth redemption. So him just getting a glimpse of the dark side in Ren and just deciding to end him goes against everything he stands for. Kylo was of course weird. Sulky one minute. Wanting to wipe out the resistance the next. Hesitating to kill his mom next. Just a stupid character. I thought people were exaggerating but his movie sucked

I’d really like to know how much the critics who gave it good reviews were paid to do so. In every aspect of film making, this movie fails. No likable characters, established characters thrown away without warning and for no purpose, new characters just lazily introduced with no backstory or any depth/personality to them whatsoever, bad pacing and editing, setups with no payoffs, payoffs with no setups, characters who behave contradictory to how they’re previously established, half the film being filler that didn’t impact the main plot, disregarding everything set up in its predecessor, leaving nothing set up for its sequel, and even ignoring all established rules of its universe that the film takes place in. Didn’t some 90%+ of the critic reviews say it was good?

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
One thing I did like was what they did with Rey's parents. Having her be a Skywalker or related to someone important would've been predictable and wouldn't really have added anything to the story. It's more interesting for her to have to deal with the fact that her parents are irrelevant.
I like the direction but the execution was piss poor for a couple reasons.
1. Her parents being nobody added nothing to the story either. What was the point of building this for two movies to be like nah doesn't matter. It's just a wasted subplot at this point. You could literally take everything about Rey's parents out of BOTH movies and nothing changes. This revelation doesn't change her as person, she doesn't grow from it, she cries in hut and gets back to breaking the universe. :francis:
2. How she the 2nd strongest being in Galaxy (after Snoke) with no training after 2 days. If you gonna do parents anybody I still need a reasonable explanation for this. I didn't get one though.:stopitslime:
3. It's subpar in comparison to Luke and anakin struggles in thier middle arcs. Luke's dad was basically the right hand man to the devil. Anakins mom got brutalized and murdered by sand people. Rey found her parents aren't amazing people but sold her on a rock.

bytch that never occurred to you in 10+ years of living on a barren wasteland. It never crossed ya mind.:gucci:

Egomaniacal1

Director of the Federal Bureau of Instigation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Martin, TN
Finally watched this one and yea i'm pissed they made Rey's parent apparently nobodies. Is there still any chance she's Luke's in episode IX? Btw I'm watching the Force Awakens on TNT now and just got past the scene where Rey finds Luke's lightsaber. Maz tells her, that was Luke's lightsaber and his father's before him and now it calls to you. It seems like it was being setup for her to be his daughter but they went/are trying to go away from that plotline?

Also what the fukk was the point of Snoke?!! 2nd movie in and he gets wasted....unless he pops up in episode IX?

Also why didn't they kill Leia off in this one? I'm reading online they aren't going to change the storyline but also aren't going to CGI her role in IX,so how exactly are they going to show her and respect her legacy to the movies without showing her?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
long rant incoming

Man I like Rian Johnson. Looper is one of my favorite movies in recent memory and he’s written some good breaking bad episodes. But this was such an unmitigated disaster. This is seriously the worst movie in the franchise. The plot (or plots) was just a messy dull contradictory slog. Finn sucks. Has no purpose and is just there for comedic purposes, except he’s not funny. Boyega deserves better. Rose or whoever should not return. Lame corny character. Rey is so uninteresting it’s crazy. She might as well be a random custom character in a video game with max stats. Ren is just Anakin 2.0. The way Noke was handled was just ludicrous. This all powerful emperor who manipulated Kylo to lure Ren only to get taken out like that was so lazy and wack. Cambodian breast meat drinking Luke :heh: Where do we begin? Honestly I dug the whole jaded, disillusioned Luke deal that they hinted at at then end of AFA. But his entire subplot on that island was awful. You know what I’m done. fukk this movie. This franchise is truly overrated and I don’t even know how they JJ ABRAMS rectifies this for epi 9. Nor do I think Disney cares
Outside of Poe and BB-8 all the new characters suck. Kylo Ren is a crap antagonist. There's just not much here to work with and there never was.

I watched the movie a second time today and I found it more enjoyable than my initial impressions but not by much it's still pretty bad and makes TFA seem like a masterpiece in comparison.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Finally watched this one and yea i'm pissed they made Rey's parent apparently nobodies. Is there still any chance she's Luke's in episode IX? Btw I'm watching the Force Awakens on TNT now and just got past the scene where Rey finds Luke's lightsaber. Maz tells her, that was Luke's lightsaber and his father's before him and now it calls to you. It seems like it was being setup for her to be his daughter but they went/are trying to go away from that plotline?

Also what the fukk was the point of Snoke?!! 2nd movie in and he gets wasted....unless he pops up in episode IX?

Also why didn't they kill Leia off in this one? I'm reading online they aren't going to change the storyline but also aren't going to CGI her role in IX,so how exactly are they going to show her and respect her legacy to the movies without showing her?

I just thought about it.... it’s crazy how we always trash or complain about the “predictability” of movies and most cases dismiss them for that.

But ST took a chance and did something unpredictable with Snoke and Rey’s parents and we mad they don’t go the predictable route.

We as fans sometimes are never satisfied and never give them a chance no matter what they do!

:russ:

Martha

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I just thought about it.... it’s crazy how we always trash or complain about the “predictability” of movies and most cases dismiss them for that.

But ST took a chance and did something unpredictable with Snoke and Rey’s parents and we mad they don’t go the predictable route.

We as fans sometimes are never satisfied and never give them a chance no matter what they do!

Martha

It’s fine to try new things, but it has to make sense. Predictable also isn’t bad if the audience wants what is predictable. By February of 1998 most fans knew Steve Austin was going over at Wrestlemania and winning the title, but they wanted that and it made sense, so it was a good thing. In the case of past Star Wars films, unpredictable would be something like the swerve at the end of empire. It’s unexpected, but the film builds towards something monumental happening so the big reveal fits and makes sense. In this case, throwing away the plot of Rey and her parents and who is snoke is a violation of the writing principle “chekov’s gun”. It’s showing that the previous film was wasting our time building up these stories because this one throws them away and says they don’t matter. It creates a case of a setup not getting a payoff. That’s a basic principle of fiction writing that Johnson broke.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Martha
Rey's parents being nobody is fine. Snoke is baffling though. Usually an antagonist matters.

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps

Martha
:stopitslime: Who is we?

Black panther was the most predictable movie ever and this board loved it.

I'm fine with movies being predictable. Tropes are tropes for a reason. They just have to be well executed.

The problem with TLJ is it's big twists don't actually change or add anything. They just adding twists to say it's different from ESB or ROTJ. Which it's not.:scust:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
It’s fine to try new things, but it has to make sense. Predictable also isn’t bad if the audience wants what is predictable. By February of 1998 most fans knew Steve Austin was going over at Wrestlemania and winning the title, but they wanted that and it made sense, so it was a good thing. In the case of past Star Wars films, unpredictable would be something like the swerve at the end of empire. It’s unexpected, but the film builds towards something monumental happening so the big reveal fits and makes sense. In this case, throwing away the plot of Rey and her parents and who is snoke is a violation of the writing principle “chekov’s gun”. It’s showing that the previous film was wasting our time building up these stories because this one throws them away and says they don’t matter. It creates a case of a setup not getting a payoff. That’s a basic principle of fiction writing that Johnson broke.

No.... I feel you.

Hence why when people always use the term “that’s predictable” to smear or shyt on a movie it irks me..... because practically every movie to a degree is predictable and it shouldn’t be used as a way to shyt on them.

Especially in movie with a protagonist and antagonist.... which is like 92% of all movies

Martha

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I get it...... but we have to atleast praise them on going against the grain and not being predictable :lolbron:

Martha
The problem with these movies is they're making them up on the fly though. I'd argue that the unpredictability is created by different people writing the different movies with no set plan. If this is a trilogy it should have been written as one.

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
No.... I feel you.

Hence why when people always use the term “that’s predictable” to smear or shyt on a movie it irks me..... because practically every movie to a degree is predictable and it shouldn’t be used as a way to shyt on them.

Especially in movie with a protagonist and antagonist.... which is like 92% of all movies

Martha
I know what you mean. I hate people who bash movies for being predictable.

But on the flip side you don't score points just for being unpredictable if you don't do anything with it.

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Martha
It's not the fact that they did something unpredictable that people are mad about. It's the fact that what they came up with just SUCKS. If they actually wrote something GOOD then that would be completely different.