Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Official Thread)

duncanthetall

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WHODEY/BIGBLUE/SNOWGANG/MIDNIGHTBOYZ
Finally watching this now. I cannot believe they got Finn bout to smash this ugly negative booty having Asian broad. What the fukk. Also this shyt is just so random at times.

That's what I've always hated about Star Wars. There's no science or magic system in play at all. They rely too much on unexpected miracles/powers. shyt just doesn't make sense in a way that holds my attention. Like fukking stupid ass Harry Potter. Makes sense I loved both of these as a kid. I'll keep watching. Just saw Asia face and scaredy ass Finn ride some chocobo....fukk this is torture.

Edit: ....why this nikka's torso like this? :dahell:

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
it was a beautiful movie to watch:wow:

apf8jp0.gif

Daps
Reppin
WestMidWest
I just tried watching this...:beli:...no trained jedi or sith lord was able to fly across space with no protection, not even Freedon Nadd, but an untrained force-aware Leah can?smh

these new efforts by JJ has confirmed that I made the right decision to abandon this franchise after the prequels, which were cool. Clearly the emphasis on having a good story line and well developed characters has taken a backseat to social commentary and symbolism

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
is this movie FOR or AGAINST self sacrifice?

it's honorable and effective when necessary:hula:we need to learn to love one another

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
It’s not necessarily bitter if it’s the truth. Some of the best science fiction characters are women, such as Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor just to name two outside of Star Wars. You can even argue Linda Hamilton’s performance in T2 was the best part of the film. She absolutely crushed the role and was the most compelling character in the film in my opinion. She’s a great example of how to write a female protagonist that is believable and interesting since she undergoes such radical changes from the start to the end. Sarah develops from down on her luck waitress at the start of the first film to fully trained in combat in the event of the sky net triggered nuclear apocalypse and is getting into shootouts with the LAPD and facing down the T-1000 to protect her kid because the events of the films cause her to develop into who she is by the end, and at no point is it really something that causes the audience to say “this shyt is ridiculous and doesn’t make any sense”. That’s what good writing looks like.

The problem is when someone pushes to whole strong woman narrative over a story that makes any sense or is any good. Laura Dern served no purpose in this movie. She was introduced, said and did very little, and then does the kamikaze attack. Rose served no purpose in this movie she zaps Finn and tags along on a terrible side plot she contributes nothing to. Aside from that, literally all they did was tell Finn and Poe basically that they’re reckless, stupid, and gutless. If you cut them out of the film entirely, the plot stays the same essentially and filler gets trimmed out, almost cutting the movie in half.

JJ set things up with Rey that while there was Mary Sue type qualities she had, her origins were deliberately left a mystery so who she really is could have explained why she was so powerful and it would’ve fit within the narrative. Maybe she’s the granddaughter of a former Jedi master. Maybe she’s Luke’s daughter and he wiped her memory to protect her. Instead none of that is explored and apparently her parents were just drunks who traded salvage parts and sold her off for beer money. Now all of a sudden she’s a nobody who can defeat a Jedi master in combat and has mastered use of the force with no training at all :gucci:. Leia has risen to a General through years of leading the rebels and the new republic. She had never shown any force ability beyond some slight telepathic link to her brother and that’s fine since she mattered because she was a character whose motivations and backstory made sense and was willing to put herself in harms was to help the rebels accomplish their goals or to protect the people who matter to her even if she didn’t have to. She was always essential to the plot and moved it in a meaningful way. Making her space Jesus or Mary Poppins in space out of nowhere just takes the viewers out of the film. Imagine if trinity suddenly had all of Neo’s powers too in the matrix reloaded how jarring and nonsensical that would be :mjlol:. It was that ridiculous.

When you push an agenda over telling a coherent story, the story suffers, and it’s even worse when it’s such a treasured product as this one is. It was done with all the subtlety and modesty you’d expect from Vince or Stephanie McMahon, and you get an awful product as a result.
:picard:

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
At least with the prequels, with the dumb ass dialogue, shyt character development, you knew you were getting one thing to make that movie ticket worth it...

tumblr_niu13jx4ur1u72t11o1_500.gif

image.gif

Mufukking lightsaber masters doing lightsaber master shyt....

These two movies have been hella light..hell I'm fairly sure my damn lightsaber choreography better than Kylo and Reys, nikkas just be swinging and shyt like a hammer in these movies.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
At least with the prequels, with the dumb ass dialogue, shyt character development, you knew you were getting one thing to make that movie ticket worth it...

tumblr_niu13jx4ur1u72t11o1_500.gif

image.gif

Mufukking lightsaber masters doing lightsaber master shyt....

These two movies have been hella light..hell I'm fairly sure my damn lightsaber choreography better than Kylo and Reys, nikkas just be swinging and shyt like a hammer in these movies.

It’s ok that the fight choreography wasn’t phantom menace or revenge of the sith levels of flawless in force awakens though. All these characters are young and not fully trained. Their style should be a bit more awkward and raw. Empire strikes back and return of the Jedi were similar in this sense. Luke moved very stiff and nervously trying to keep up with Vader while Vader moved very deliberately until he decided to end shyt and began to swing his saber at Luke as if it was a sledgehammer, and then the roles largely reversed in the third film. It fits the character. Force awakens I felt had pretty solid fight sequences in this regard. Last Jedi was crazy light on this though.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
I’d really like to know what Lucas thinks of the job Kennedy and Johnson did

i'm sure he doesn't approve but if lucas is that opinionated about it... he didn't have to sell it and he could have produced his own star wars movies.