Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Official Thread)

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was watching this again last night and there's so much bullshyt filler in this movie. Like following Luke and as he gets breast milk and fish. That shyt with Finn and rose where they Save the animals. Hell all of rays training is bullshyt. The first order chasing the resistance at the speed of an oj Simpson white bronco freeway chase was ponderous as well.
Yup and the fact he left that stuff in and cut out the better scene with Finn and phasma , Luke /Leia mourning Han and snokes backstory and then proceeds to leave all that unnecessary humor such as fishing and milking tell me I have zero interest in his new trilogy .
I hate to say this and seem like a woman hater but Kathleen appears to be the problem with trying to shoehorn female empowerment into every movie while JJ and George did it naturally . Rian seems like he won her over by saying my script is full of strong women and they show the patriarchy what's the real deal or something . To the point she willing to spit in fans faces .

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i know everyone talked about Leia's scene but if anything Luke drinking that breastmilk was even more jarring IMO

Say what. I refuse to watch this piece of trash movie. But did luke really drink breast milk? From a women? Holy shyt you got to be kidding me.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
why would Kathleen let Rian throw out the script/story outlines for the trilogy to the point the director of the last movie has to scrap his plans completely :mjlol::picard: ?? Also RJ writing his movie with no i our from JJ based on what he was seeing in dailies :scust: not know key plot and character details as you wrote sequels :what::sas1:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
giphy.gif

:dead:

Holy shyt they got this brotha playing a space version of OJ simpson......where the white women at....:francis:

Last edited:

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Yup and the fact he left that stuff in and cut out the better scene with Finn and phasma, Luke /Leia mourning Han and snokes backstory and then proceeds to leave all that unnecessary humor such as fishing and milking tell me I have zero interest in his new trilogy. I hate to say this and seem like a woman hater but Kathleen appears to be the problem with trying to shoehorn female empowerment into every movie while JJ and George did it naturally. Rian seems like he won her over by saying my script is full of strong women and they show the patriarchy what's the real deal or something. To the point she willing to spit in fans faces.

It’s not necessarily bitter if it’s the truth. Some of the best science fiction characters are women, such as Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor just to name two outside of Star Wars. You can even argue Linda Hamilton’s performance in T2 was the best part of the film. She absolutely crushed the role and was the most compelling character in the film in my opinion. She’s a great example of how to write a female protagonist that is believable and interesting since she undergoes such radical changes from the start to the end. Sarah develops from down on her luck waitress at the start of the first film to fully trained in combat in the event of the sky net triggered nuclear apocalypse and is getting into shootouts with the LAPD and facing down the T-1000 to protect her kid because the events of the films cause her to develop into who she is by the end, and at no point is it really something that causes the audience to say “this shyt is ridiculous and doesn’t make any sense”. That’s what good writing looks like.

The problem is when someone pushes to whole strong woman narrative over a story that makes any sense or is any good. Laura Dern served no purpose in this movie. She was introduced, said and did very little, and then does the kamikaze attack. Rose served no purpose in this movie she zaps Finn and tags along on a terrible side plot she contributes nothing to. Aside from that, literally all they did was tell Finn and Poe basically that they’re reckless, stupid, and gutless. If you cut them out of the film entirely, the plot stays the same essentially and filler gets trimmed out, almost cutting the movie in half.

JJ set things up with Rey that while there was Mary Sue type qualities she had, her origins were deliberately left a mystery so who she really is could have explained why she was so powerful and it would’ve fit within the narrative. Maybe she’s the granddaughter of a former Jedi master. Maybe she’s Luke’s daughter and he wiped her memory to protect her. Instead none of that is explored and apparently her parents were just drunks who traded salvage parts and sold her off for beer money. Now all of a sudden she’s a nobody who can defeat a Jedi master in combat and has mastered use of the force with no training at all :gucci:. Leia has risen to a General through years of leading the rebels and the new republic. She had never shown any force ability beyond some slight telepathic link to her brother and that’s fine since she mattered because she was a character whose motivations and backstory made sense and was willing to put herself in harms was to help the rebels accomplish their goals or to protect the people who matter to her even if she didn’t have to. She was always essential to the plot and moved it in a meaningful way. Making her space Jesus or Mary Poppins in space out of nowhere just takes the viewers out of the film. Imagine if trinity suddenly had all of Neo’s powers too in the matrix reloaded how jarring and nonsensical that would be :mjlol:. It was that ridiculous.

When you push an agenda over telling a coherent story, the story suffers, and it’s even worse when it’s such a treasured product as this one is. It was done with all the subtlety and modesty you’d expect from Vince or Stephanie McMahon, and you get an awful product as a result.

Bone Bender

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I finally saw the movie and it was alright.

One thing that really annoyed me was Holdo not letting Poe or anyone know of her plan of getting the rebels to that ice planet. If half of the conflict of the movie could be solved by a simple conversation and then you dont even do it without any acknowledgement of why then thats just bad writing. The writers needed something for the rebels to do while Rey was on her journey and they came up with that.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s not necessarily bitter if it’s the truth. Some of the best science fiction characters are women, such as Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor just to name two outside of Star Wars. You can even argue Linda Hamilton’s performance in T2 was the best part of the film. She absolutely crushed the role and was the most compelling character in the film in my opinion. She’s a great example of how to write a female protagonist that is believable and interesting since she undergoes such radical changes from the start to the end. Sarah develops from down on her luck waitress at the start of the first film to fully trained in combat in the event of the sky net triggered nuclear apocalypse and is getting into shootouts with the LAPD and facing down the T-1000 to protect her kid because the events of the films cause her to develop into who she is by the end, and at no point is it really something that causes the audience to say “this shyt is ridiculous and doesn’t make any sense”. That’s what good writing looks like.

The problem is when someone pushes to whole strong woman narrative over a story that makes any sense or is any good. Laura Dern served no purpose in this movie. She was introduced, said and did very little, and then does the kamikaze attack. Rose served no purpose in this movie she zaps Finn and tags along on a terrible side plot she contributes nothing to. Aside from that, literally all they did was tell Finn and Poe basically that they’re reckless, stupid, and gutless. If you cut them out of the film entirely, the plot stays the same essentially and filler gets trimmed out, almost cutting the movie in half.

JJ set things up with Rey that while there was Mary Sue type qualities she had, her origins were deliberately left a mystery so who she really is could have explained why she was so powerful and it would’ve fit within the narrative. Maybe she’s the granddaughter of a former Jedi master. Maybe she’s Luke’s daughter and he wiped her memory to protect her. Instead none of that is explored and apparently her parents were just drunks who traded salvage parts and sold her off for beer money. Now all of a sudden she’s a nobody who can defeat a Jedi master in combat and has mastered use of the force with no training at all :gucci:. Leia has risen to a General through years of leading the rebels and the new republic. She had never shown any force ability beyond some slight telepathic link to her brother and that’s fine since she mattered because she was a character whose motivations and backstory made sense and was willing to put herself in harms was to help the rebels accomplish their goals or to protect the people who matter to her even if she didn’t have to. She was always essential to the plot and moved it in a meaningful way. Making her space Jesus or Mary Poppins in space out of nowhere just takes the viewers out of the film. Imagine if trinity suddenly had all of Neo’s powers too in the matrix reloaded how jarring and nonsensical that would be :mjlol:. It was that ridiculous.

When you push an agenda over telling a coherent story, the story suffers, and it’s even worse when it’s such a treasured product as this one is. It was done with all the subtlety and modesty you’d expect from Vince or Stephanie McMahon, and you get an awful product as a result.
Exactly ! The worse thing is he could of told a similar story while actually following up onthe threads JJ left . He put the message above the story and it suffered

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
You know what brehs was STILL irks me the most is that the First order STILL has an entire army... The resistance is down to damn near nothing and all of them escaped on the Millineum Falcon....:heh: Like damn and Rian Johnson thought this was a good idea going into part 9?!?! :mindblown::mjlol: WTF?!!?

Even worst was when they called for help, and NO ONE came. Everyone got the message but no one is coming. Like WTF is the point of this trilogy then? There's no rebellion. It's all in this fleet's head

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Exactly ! The worse thing is he could of told a similar story while actually following up onthe threads JJ left . He put the message above the story and it suffered

It’s infuriating because an underlying message can be written into a great film without feeling forced, heavy handed, or pushing an agenda at the expense of a good movie. Black panther was layered in seemingly every aspect of the film, from dialogue, the stylings of clothing, the themes it explores, and the motivations of characters. Iron man to an extent and age of ultron also to an extent shows the terrible cost of large scale arms manufacturing and dealing as many of the bad events of the films are direct consequences of stark industries making and selling weapons. Jurassic Park’s underlying theme is how the the greed and arrogance of man trying to control what it doesn’t understand could very well be it’s undoing. I’ll even keep it within Star Wars in my next example.

The original Star Wars can be viewed as a microcosm of why the war on terror is a failure:

It’s the story of a young man living in the desert with his family on a farm who just wants to go to college and get a higher education and broaden his horizons before a military strike kills his family which had nothing to do with said conflict. The young man is then indoctrinated into an old religion, joins a band of rebel insurgents, and leads a retaliatory attack on a military base that kills thousands and he’s presented as the hero of the story.

With the exception of Ian Malcolm repeatedly telling John Hammond that what he’s doing is a bad idea and why it’s a bad idea in Jurassic Park, none of this is really beaten over your head in the other films. Even then, the fact that Hammond hears the warnings and disregards them is more or less the whole point. That’s what makes the message inside of a narrative work.

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
Even worst was when they called for help, and NO ONE came. Everyone got the message but no one is coming. Like WTF is the point of this trilogy then? There's no rebellion. It's all in this fleet's head

jj and their whole team fukked up. the resistance handed the first order a major l in the previous movie and kylo was nearly killed. but the new movie seemed to forget all that as it's set a few days later and the power dynamic has shifted in the first order's favor over the resistance more than the empire had over the rebellion.

I was seriously like wtf when I realised this while watching it. The prequels shyt over these new movies, the stories and world was grand vs this popcorn shyt we're being served by kathleen and team mickey.