Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Official Thread)

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
The anger and fantasy booking in this thread reminds me of myself and the brehs in TSC when WWE doesn't book an angle like we want :lolbron:
That’s because it’s writing is as lazy and half assed as what cokeboy and his crew usually do with a big angle. It’s like what the writers did with halo 5’s story. There’s some interesting new places this narrative can go, but instead we get almost pure filler with as little to move the narrative as possible while many characters act in a manner that’s contradictory to how they’ve always been written. A whole lot of nothing happens in this film. Ultimately everything Finn and Poe did besides escape at the end had no bearing on the plot. If they just sit in the lobby and play a game of poker all movie, the narrative moves the same exact direction at the same exact speed while a few more ships get away. That right there makes nearly half the film the very definition of filler. You could basically remove Finn and Poe from this film and little of the narrative would change, if any of it. That’s bad writing, even more so since they were so key in the last film. They didn’t even bother to show Rey escape from Snoke’s ship or how she ends up on the falcon at the end of the movie. There’s literally no questions left to ask in part 9 since they half assed or disregarded all the questions and stories explored in the last movie. We never get a clue about Snoke manipulating Kylo or get more than one scene between them so when he kills him it falls flat. He suggests to Rey getting rid of all the old stuff of the past and they progress forward basically doing exactly what the sith would do. ESB ends with the rebels having taken big losses while still having a large and powerful fleet of their own that they can launch their counter attack in during the next movie, but in this film they’re reduced to maybe their last 15-20 members with no funds or weapons. Nobody came to their aid but Luke and now he’s gone. Given the situation, it’s take some 10-20 years to rebuild their forces to be strong enough to take on the first order again, at which point they’d easily beef themselves back up and have the time to build yet another Death Star or star killer base. They essentially no sold their losses in the last movie and got even stronger here while the rebel’s took so many off screen L’s that they’re basically done. All the star systems have seemingly fallen in line and there’s no resistance left now if all the survivors escaped on the falcon. It’s not that big a ship. This is a bad film not necessarily as a stand alone film, though it’s got plenty of issues there. It’s a bad film because as a sequel it throws away much of what it’s prequel does while leaving little exploration for anything to happen at all in a sequel, let alone anything compelling.

In short, this film fails at the basic principles of cinematic story telling and fiction writing by wasting our time with filler and disregarding so much of the narrative and replacing it with nothing. For me it’s easily the third worst film in the series. I can’t put it below the phantom menace because that film fails even harder by failing to ever establish a central character or the motivations of any of the good guys, fails to ever establish the motivations of the front and center bad guys, and never establishes the goals or motivations of the sith as the shadow villains (the goals of the actual phantom menace are never shown so even the film title is wasted). I also can’t put it below attack of the clones since a whole lot of nothing happens in that film, it so heavily suffers from over reliance on green screen, and both the writing and acting for the love story in the film was the WOAT I’ve ever seen, and the razzie nominations it got show I’m not the only one who thinks so. This movie shyts on the one that came before it and left a huge mess that I’m not sure how it’s sequel can clean up.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
I swear it's like the original ending of Mass Effect 3 all over again...:martin: it just pisses me off... this hack of a writer fam destroyed the Star Wars Universe... I mean as a lifelong star wars fan I cannot believe this shyt fam. JJ set the shyt up and Johnson burned everything...:snoop:

For what it's worth - I genuinely understand where you're coming from.:ehh:

The way I see it - he saw the accusations of TFA just being a retread of the original trilogy and steered hard in the opposite direction. Maybe too hard in some cases.

I kinda clocked what the deal was when Luke threw the lightsaber in the bushes. Like we waited two years for his reaction to Rey and JJ, set it up to be :obama:or :mjcry:, but Rian said "fukk that" and went :scust:. From that point on, for me - it felt like a new take.

shyt was like a forest fire. He torched everything to make way for new growth. Whether or not anything grows out of that is a completely different set of questions. In his defence - shyt made a billion in two weeks and got decent reviews, despite the backlash. The studio appears to trust him with a new trilogy as well.

I'm not saying I agree with everything about it - but it's kinda brave when you really think about it. It takes huge fukking balls to blow up arguably the most beloved movie franchise in history and remake it in your image. shyt was always going to upset someone. :manny:

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
How can you say that nothing of consequence happened and in the next breath complain that the resistance is TOO decimated. That series of defeats seems kind of consequential.

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
That’s because it’s writing is as lazy and half assed as what cokeboy and his crew usually do with a big angle. It’s like what the writers did with halo 5’s story. There’s some interesting new places this narrative can go, but instead we get almost pure filler with as little to move the narrative as possible while many characters act in a manner that’s contradictory to how they’ve always been written. A whole lot of nothing happens in this film. Ultimately everything Finn and Poe did besides escape at the end had no bearing on the plot. If they just sit in the lobby and play a game of poker all movie, the narrative moves the same exact direction at the same exact speed while a few more ships get away. That right there makes nearly half the film the very definition of filler. You could basically remove Finn and Poe from this film and little of the narrative would change, if any of it. That’s bad writing, even more so since they were so key in the last film. They didn’t even bother to show Rey escape from Snoke’s ship or how she ends up on the falcon at the end of the movie. There’s literally no questions left to ask in part 9 since they half assed or disregarded all the questions and stories explored in the last movie. We never get a clue about Snoke manipulating Kylo or get more than one scene between them so when he kills him it falls flat. He suggests to Rey getting rid of all the old stuff of the past and they progress forward basically doing exactly what the sith would do. ESB ends with the rebels having taken big losses while still having a large and powerful fleet of their own that they can launch their counter attack in during the next movie, but in this film they’re reduced to maybe their last 15-20 members with no funds or weapons. Nobody came to their aid but Luke and now he’s gone. Given the situation, it’s take some 10-20 years to rebuild their forces to be strong enough to take on the first order again, at which point they’d easily beef themselves back up and have the time to build yet another Death Star or star killer base. They essentially no sold their losses in the last movie and got even stronger here while the rebel’s took so many off screen L’s that they’re basically done. All the star systems have seemingly fallen in line and there’s no resistance left now if all the survivors escaped on the falcon. It’s not that big a ship. This is a bad film not necessarily as a stand alone film, though it’s got plenty of issues there. It’s a bad film because as a sequel it throws away much of what it’s prequel does while leaving little exploration for anything to happen at all in a sequel, let alone anything compelling.

In short, this film fails at the basic principles of cinematic story telling and fiction writing by wasting our time with filler and disregarding so much of the narrative and replacing it with nothing. For me it’s easily the third worst film in the series. I can’t put it below the phantom menace because that film fails even harder by failing to ever establish a central character or the motivations of any of the good guys, fails to ever establish the motivations of the front and center bad guys, and never establishes the goals or motivations of the sith as the shadow villains (the goals of the actual phantom menace are never shown so even the film title is wasted). I also can’t put it below attack of the clones since a whole lot of nothing happens in that film, it so heavily suffers from over reliance on green screen, and both the writing and acting for the love story in the film was the WOAT I’ve ever seen, and the razzie nominations it got show I’m not the only one who thinks so. This movie shyts on the one that came before it and left a huge mess that I’m not sure how it’s sequel can clean up.

the weird thing is that I think this took place a day after the last movie. so the political landscape went from
-the republic being in power and the resistance being a paramilitary wing of it to curb the first order
to:
-no mention of the republic and the resistance is now "the rebels". and the first order have taken over power though they took a major l a few days before.

wtf man. the more I think about the fukk up which is 7 and 8 the more I get :hhh:

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
How can you say that nothing of consequence happened and in the next breath complain that the resistance is TOO decimated. That series of defeats seems kind of consequential.
Very little of consequence happens because there seems to be next to nothing left of them in the first place. Their attack fleet is destroyed in the attack on the dread naught at the start. Seemingly all that’s left after that are transport ships and medical ships that run away all movie before getting destroyed. It wasn’t even a large fleet that gets destroyed. A few bombers and maybe 15 x wing fighters. Any big L’s they took were off screen in between films since there’s so little of them left and it’s implied the resistance is pretty big in that movie.

the weird thing is that I think this took place a day after the last movie. so the political landscape went from
-the republic being in power and the resistance being a paramilitary wing of it to curb the first order
to:
-no mention of the republic and the resistance is now "the rebels". and the first order have taken over power though they took a major l a few days before.

wtf man. the more I think about the fukk up which is 7 and 8 the more I get :hhh:
This right here is why it’s bad. It’s supposed to take place right after part 7, which implies the resistance is large and powerful while protecting a republic/democracy that governs legitimately instead of through violent oppression. Finn basically recovers from his injuries in a day and it’s never used as any part of a narrative for him. Poe is just a regular old pilot. Why is he suddenly promoted to commander in a day? This film entirely dismisses a huge victory they had in destroying the base at the end of part 7. Why isn’t this woman with the purple hair telling the rebels what the escape plan is? Just all of a sudden the first order can track them through light speed? They just decide to deus ex machina/retcon this tech into the film and it weighs down literally everything around the main arc. There isn’t anything inherently wrong with the narrative of part 7. Part 8 is the problem. To paraphrase the “you’re getting old” episode of South Park, this movie basically just shyts all over everything the previous film did while not setting the stage for anything at all in the next one.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

The way I see it - he saw the accusations of TFA just being a retread of the original trilogy and steered hard in the opposite direction. Maybe too hard in some cases.

I kinda clocked what the deal was when Luke threw the lightsaber in the bushes. Like we waited two years for his reaction to Rey and JJ, set it up to be :obama:or :mjcry:, but Rian said "fukk that" and went :scust:. From that point on, for me - it felt like a new take.

shyt was like a forest fire. He torched everything to make way for new growth. Whether or not anything grows out of that is a completely different set of questions. In his defence - shyt made a billion in two weeks and got decent reviews, despite the backlash. The studio appears to trust him with a new trilogy as well.

I'm not saying I agree with everything about it - but it's kinda brave when you really think about it. It takes huge fukking balls to blow up arguably the most beloved movie franchise in history and remake it in your image. shyt was always going to upset someone. :manny:

But the storyline was so simple a fukking 8th grader could write a better story fam...:snoop: All he had to do was IMPROVE on the last movie... The sequel was his to shine and he took a blowtorch to the originals and the prequels in ONE film and he left the entire series in disarray... :mjlol:.....:mjcry:

Narrative wise lets look at the ending Luke is dead.. the rebels have like NO FLEET, The First Order has superior numbers plus more ships, weapons and manpower and let's not forget the fact that NO ONE responded to the rebel alliance's call to help... :why: shyt is beyond bleak, Narrative wise there was no signal of hope!!! I could have wrote a WAY BETTER MOVIE... plus set up the third movie... it wasn't hard at all. I feel as if this guy Rian Johnson is jealous of JJ abrams and the lucas and wanted to put his stamp on the history and the lore...

There's nothing wrong with radical ideas but there was no payoff in this movie... Rey is a weak protagonist, they keep emasculating Finn, Poe should be in line to lead the resistance that's where this movie should have been leading to... this movie should have definitely had some oversight.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
That’s because it’s writing is as lazy I can’t put it below the phantom menace because that film fails even harder by failing to ever establish a central character or the motivations of any of the good guys, fails to ever establish the motivations of the front and center bad guys, and never establishes the goals or motivations of the sith as the shadow villains (the goals of the actual phantom menace are never shown so even the film title is wasted).

Palpatine tells us his goals both as a senator and as Darth Sidious, Maul's only line in the movie establishes they want to kill Jedi on top of that.

Amidala wants the blockade on her planet lifted and the Jedi are there to see if the Trade Federation is following legal procedure, then they spend the rest protecting Amidala.

I get not liking the movie, but if there's one thing it did well is establish motivation. In fact the biggest complaint, other than Jar Jar, is that it spends too much time on the taxation and Palpatine scheming on Chancellorhood parts.

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps

It wasn't ballsy at all. It was lazy as all fukk. I will admit RJ had some good conceptual ideas but they were executed piss poorly. Mainly because the good ideas weren't followed through on while he was
A. Trying to subvert old plot points
B. Trying to rip off as much old stuff as possible.
C. Exploring Kylo as a character
D. Deconstructing Luke.

His priorities were not writing a new original story or development of characters that sorely needed it. RJs film relies on people caring about Kylo in a ensemble film. While he was fleshing out emo Ren everything else took a back seat. Someone should have told this man relying on people to identify with your angsty anti hero antagonist didn't work for George it wasn't gonna work here. At least Anakin struggle was relatable.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Palpatine tells us his goals both as a senator and as Darth Sidious, Maul's only line in the movie establishes they want to kill Jedi on top of that.

Amidala wants the blockade on her planet lifted and the Jedi are there to see if the Trade Federation is following legal procedure, then they spend the rest protecting Amidala.

I get not liking the movie, but if there's one thing it did well is establish motivation. In fact the biggest complaint, other than Jar Jar, is that it spends too much time on the taxation and Palpatine scheming on Chancellorhood parts.
The movie never even implies that it’s Palpatine though. We only know because the originals already existed. That film never actually establishes this. We get that maul wants to kill them but we know nothing else about the guy. Why are they blockading the planet? Just being there to make sure it’s legal is a waste and does nothing to establish characters. Their purpose is not much different from a health inspector making sure the restaurant is clean. The queen has her goals yeah, but she isn’t the main character clearly. They never establish one.

The Prince of All Saiyans

Formerly Jisoo Stan & @Twitter
Daps
ray6.gif

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
Come to think about it, luke's character reminded me of two things:

-bear grylls surviving the wild
and
-sunny from bronx tale's "nobody cares" life motto

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

Spoiler fukking Alert!!! :pacspit: fukk Rian Johnson!!!! fukk disney for this bullshyt cashgrab gimmick.

"Let’s start to where I was last night watching a copy of The Last Jedi on my macbook. As I opened the movie I was so hyped about seeing Luke Skywalker and seeing his superior jedi powers on the big screen"

*closes tab*

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
"Let’s start to where I was last night watching a copy of The Last Jedi on my macbook. As I opened the movie I was so hyped about seeing Luke Skywalker and seeing his superior jedi powers on the big screen"

*closes tab*

:lolbron: I WAS hyped about seeing it on the big screen but then I heard it sucked so like a good consumer I at least watched a part of it and kept going....

And luckily I wasnt conned into paying $20 for this bullshyt...:mjlol:

BECAUSE THE MOVIE WAS fukkING TRASH.... :pacspit:

CHL

Superstar
Daps
Why are they blockading the planet?
Did you not read the opening crawl?
Turmoil has engulfed the Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying star systems is in dispute. Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all shipping to the small planet of Naboo. While the Congress of the Republic endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the Supreme Chancellor has secretly dispatched two Jedi Knights, the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, to settle the conflict...

& Palpatine states to the Senate:
Supreme Chancellor, delegates of the Senate, a tragedy has occurred... which started right here with the taxation of trade routes... and has now engulfed our entire planet... in the oppression of the Trade Federation.

Last edited: