Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Official Thread)

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
i don't watch rebels so i can't speak on that. when i'm talking about the star wars universe it's strictly the featured films just to be clear.

i know that obi wan and yoda was protecting luke, but the way they went out was similar to luke in TLJ which is what i'm trying to get across. they have that connection and a similar story arc. obi wan and yoda ended up sacrificing themselves which is what luke did at the end. they all went into hiding and realized they were insignificant to the bigger picture and they were past their time so it was their time to go. luke's story arc is similar to obi wan and yoda in that he failed, got humbled and was trying to atone for his failure by going into exile and saving the crew at the end. it just took him longer to accept his failure and help out.

this is what i took from luke's story arc; he was a good guy that believed he could save vader and the galaxy and he did. everything was all good and he was a hero until the jedi academy he started was going sour. luke contemplating to KILL his nephew goes against everything he fought and stands for and was his biggest moment of weakness. he learned from the conversation with yoda that you can learn from your weakness, helped rey and learned from her and had an epiphany.

i thought luke having an internal battle with his faith and beliefs was a great way to develop him. he's clearly heads and shoulders above everyone with a lightsaber so shake his faith up and have him questioning the jedi order. may sound corny but it's a great way to explore and challenge his character.
I disagree.

Lukes new story arc is the most similar to Anakins on a fundamental standpoint. Individuals whose failures shattered them to the core so throughly all they could do was wait for death. Only to have faith restored by a young individual whom they save which leads to thier death.

Also Luke goes through enough in the OT that this breaking him just seems contrived to me.

Axolotl

Banned
Daps
I get the attitude that Finn should have been a Jedi. A lot of black fans, myself not really included, feel that way. People trying to act like he's not a protagonist because he's not a Jedi are being ridiculous. He, Rey, and Poe are working toward the same goal the success of the rebellion. He might be a reluctant hero but that doesn't change the fact that they're all on the same side working toward the same goal.

I really don't care that he's not a Jedi. Han Solo wasn't one either and didn't really matter there. People have been upset about Finn since they saw the trailers of TFA with him wielding a light saber and assumed he was a Jedi and it was revealed he wasn't.
This has nothing to do with the argument breh.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Also Kylo is only interesting because the wrote everyone besides him and luke dumbass arcs.

Stop making dumb assumptions of what I want.

if my statement of what ppl wanted didn't apply to you then my bad. i read a lot of comments about that throughout the thread so it seems like the narrative from fans.

but rey joining forces with kylo would go against everything she stands for because kylo wanted to kill the resistance and she's been fighting for them and their beliefs. her turning her back on them so fast would be a bigger plot hole imo.

i agree with you the battle between rey and kylo in TFA made kylo look weak and was a bad setup for future movies. to make it worse was that kylo was more competent vs snoke's royal guards. kylo took on 3 at a time yet rey was struggling with one. maybe kylo grew stronger with the force after killing snoke but that shift in power suddenly was weird. kylo looked really dope in that battle too.

I disagree.

Lukes new story arc is the most similar to Anakins on a fundamental standpoint. Individuals whose failures shattered them to the core so throughly all they could do was wait for death. Only to have faith restored by a young individual whom they save which leads to thier death.

Also Luke goes through enough in the OT that this breaking him just seems contrived to me.

wait, what? i don't remember anakin failing and being left vulnerable just waiting to die. anakin was just power hungry and wanted to save padme, even by using the dark force. i think their story arc from start to finish and their motives are completely different.

luke always played the underdog and hero. this time it seems like there was order and he dropped the ball maintaining it.

Why should i care about Kylo?

I still don't even know why he's evil.

And no 'because Snoke' isn't an answer.

i like and care about kylo's role because he's breaking the status quo by destroying the first order and wanting to get rid of the jedi history, empire's history and start anew. he idolized vader and the dark side but seems to be finding himself now and his place in the force/galaxy. there's been a lot of growth in his character.

as for why he's evil? i don't think it was fully explained but it seems like his parents not being in his life played a role. i remember in TFA kylo told rey she saw han as the father she never had but she would only be disappointed or something like that. plus kylo told han that his son is gone and that he was weak like his father. plus luke trying to kill him just reaffirmed that he couldn't trust the ppl closest to him. another guess is that kylo wanted more power since he idolized vader and snoke probably felt it and promised to teach him.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
i like and care about kylo's role because he's breaking the status quo by destroying the first order and wanting to get rid of the jedi history, empire's history and start anew. he idolized vader and the dark side but seems to be finding himself now and his place in the force/galaxy. there's been a lot of growth in his character.

How though? I understand that this is what RJ was trying to communicate, but how exactly does he achieve this?

Jax

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#Targset,#Heatgang,#Byrdgang
This could've been so much better if:
-Finn was force sensitive.
-Rey was Luke's abandoned daughter.
-kylo Ren was Luke's son that tried to kill his father and baby sister.
-Rey handled a double sided light saber.
-Han and Leia had a force sensitive daughter that was trained by Luke and joined Kylo Ren.
-snoke had a backstory.

I mean I have so many ideas that shyt on the current story and I'm not an expert on Star Wars.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
How though? I understand that this is what RJ was trying to communicate, but how exactly does he achieve this?

I’m not sure. Everything will wrap up next movie so gotta wait and see. That’s why I really liked what they did in TLJ. They’re building it up for this final episode. I’m looking forward to it more now.

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
I’m not sure. Everything will wrap up next movie so gotta wait and see. That’s why I really liked what they did in TLJ. They’re building it up for this final episode. I’m looking forward to it more now.

No shyt you aren't sure because neither is Rian Johnson and neither is anyone praising this movie.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
I really don't care what happens in the next movie. Kylo isn't an powerful and dangerous foe, Rey has already given him that work twice. Snoke who brought intrigue and mystery is dead. Luke is dead. I don't care about the resistance.

Says the guy that thought the OT had the same directors. I’m sure you never cared about Star Wars until Disney bought them.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Says the guy that thought the OT had the same directors. I’m sure you never cared about Star Wars until Disney bought them.

:umad:

You mad I forgot George Lucas didnt direct all the movies in ot. I know you'll never forget your prostitute momma taking your :flabbynsick: ass to see the movies in between getting her back blown out.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
it's silly to argue with you dudes saying the plot barely moved. it's a weak and selfish statement. it didn't move the way you all wanted it to so you're complaining.
I didn't have a way I wanted it to advance. I look at where the movie began and where it ended and outside of Kylo taking over and killing Snoke the status quo continues. Luke died but he wasn't doing shyt anyway and the rebels lost half their fighters. Also Rey met back up with them and Finn work up from his coma.

Kylo wants to squash the rebels and rule the galaxy. Snoke wanted to squash the rebels and rule the galaxy. Like I said not much has changed.