Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Official Thread)

FLATOP

Superstar
Daps
Movie was pretty. Thats about it.
Ive seen people this past week ranking it as prequel tier.
I see the argument

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Given that you haven't actually argued anything in that post and just dismissed it as trolling you'd be more in line with that accusation.

The movie shuffled the pieces around but the plot barely advanced at all. Kylo killed Snoke and took his spot, Rey came back, and Luke died. Those are all the major happenings of the movie. 2+ hours and the plot barely moved.

it's silly to argue with you dudes saying the plot barely moved. it's a weak and selfish statement. it didn't move the way you all wanted it to so you're complaining. @Eddy Gordo said

"We are character arc wise in the exact same position we were in at the beginning of Act 3 of TFA. Rey is a nascent Jedi in opposition to Kylo" and "Kylo is such a shytty villian that I dont give a fukk whether he finds redemption or gets killed."

kylo was loyal to the first order in TFA and now wants to destroy them AND the resistance to start from a clean slate. plus he wanted to join forces with Rey after wanting to kill her. that's not plot moving?? if not then wtf more do you want to move the plot? Would luke killing everyone be better for advancing the plot??

and i disagree with the character's arc and kylo being a shytty villian. kylo's arc is the best thing going in star wars right now. i was disappointed with kylo in TFA but he's stepping it up in TLJ. he's the star character of the trilogy right now and the fact you dudes are bytching about it is trolling because it doesn't align with what you want. i bet if luke came back and killed kylo, snoke and crushed the first order you all would be happy with it. that's boring and predictable.

and for ppl saying luke sucked for running away, do you not see the similarity and connection with yoda? luke did the same thing as yoda even tho yoda is probably the strongest jedi master of all time. yoda even said i told you this would happen or something along those lines. it's as simple as, luke didn't have the heart to kill his nephew and failed the galaxy and jedi order so he fled. why don't we throw obi wan in this conversation too? he could've fought in the war but let vader chop him down.

"You can sell the audience on Luke having a moment of weakness sure. What you can't do is say the man failed and said fukk it and went to go die. It lacks context when people had previously seen Luke constantly attempting things he was told was impossible. You have to SHOW his fall/change of mindset in a more defining way. Don't tell the audience show them. Have them fall with him."

@Eddy Gordo that was a young and wild luke. luke is wiser and was a teacher of the force. the same thing happened with obi wan and yoda.

i love the OG characters but you dudes need to move on from them.

HHR

Do what you love
Daps
I mean, yeah, it would be cool to see the rise of the First Order and Luke's growing disillusionment with the Jedi and his waning hope...but its been 30 years. That ship sailed. I don't need a detailed history lesson to understand that even leaders can lose hope. Nothing about where he starts this new trilogy feels off to me. I'm sympathetic if you're disappointed in the choices, but calling them canonically blasphemous is a step beyond.

Besides, we got a mini-Rashomon story in a Star Wars movie. That's awesome.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City

and for ppl saying luke sucked for running away, do you not see the similarity and connection with yoda? luke did the same thing as yoda even tho yoda is probably the strongest jedi master of all time. yoda even said i told you this would happen or something along those lines. it's as simple as, luke didn't have the heart to kill his nephew and failed the galaxy and jedi order so he fled. why don't we throw obi wan in this conversation too? he could've fought in the war but let vader chop him down.

giphy.gif

No no no, Luke hid for the exact OPPOSITE reasons.

Yoda hid so that the Jedi order could survive. He was guiding Jedi as shown in REBELS and the OG. ObiWan wasn't hiding, he was PROTECTING Luke just in case the empire/Sith would ever find him.

They literally plan this out at the end of RotS, Bail and Mon Mothma mention their "Jedi assets" in Rogue One and we see Obi-Wan step up IMMEDIATELY WITHOUT HESITATION when Leia asks him to.

Don't compare them to Luke forsaking the Jedi, closing himself off from the force and wanting to die.

I agree that Kylo is the star of the show now, though. He's interesting to me and is the only thing redeeming this trilogy so far.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
Finally saw this

Weird movie.

JJ itroducing and hyping up characters then immediately killing them the next movie.:dahell:

bytching out Luke.:dahell:

Luke dying :dahell:

Rey not killing Kylo :dahell:

How many suicide attacks are these rebels gonna do? The got no other strategies breh :dahell:

Finn really trying to murk himself :dahell:

Setting up a Kylo Rey romance :dahell:

Edit:

"Im two years, find out the secret origins of...
Supreme Leader Snoke
Maz Kanata
The Knights of Ren
Reys parents "

All wiped from the slate

And now we enter presumably the final entry in the trilogy with no real intrigue or mystery. Its ridiculous

comments like this is what i don't get. you're not curious to see where kylo goes from here? what happens to the small resistance? the ghost of luke and relationship he will have with kylo? plus rey's future and those jedi books

• Dap
Reactions: HHR

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
it's silly to argue with you dudes saying the plot barely moved. it's a weak and selfish statement. it didn't move the way you all wanted it to so you're complaining. @Eddy Gordo said

"We are character arc wise in the exact same position we were in at the beginning of Act 3 of TFA. Rey is a nascent Jedi in opposition to Kylo" and "Kylo is such a shytty villian that I dont give a fukk whether he finds redemption or gets killed."

kylo was loyal to the first order in TFA and now wants to destroy them AND the resistance to start from a clean slate. plus he wanted to join forces with Rey after wanting to kill her. that's not plot moving?? if not then wtf more do you want to move the plot? Would luke killing everyone be better for advancing the plot??
If they actually joined forces that would've moved the plot. Nothing unexpected happens and she's still good and he's still evil. On it's own it's own that's not a bad thing but due to the movies various other fakeouts it feels like another cheap "Sike" moment.

and i disagree with the character's arc and kylo being a shytty villian. kylo's arc is the best thing going in star wars right now. i was disappointed with kylo in TFA but he's stepping it up in TLJ. he's the star character of the trilogy right now and the fact you dudes are bytching about it is trolling because it doesn't align with what you want. i bet if luke came back and killed kylo, snoke and crushed the first order you all would be happy with it. that's boring and predictable.
Stop making dumb assumptions of what I want. While Kylo is the most interesting character in the series right now that doesn't translate to being a good villian. He lost a fight to the protagonist in the first movie. She saved his life in this movie. She is shown to be a better duelist and stronger in the force than him. So going into IX I just feel like they lack dramatic tension. Whereas usually people wonder how the hero can win I am wondering does Kylo even stand a chance. Not to mention how he lacks "teeth" as a villian. Who has he bested besides old men that weren't trying to fight him. Finn? That dude stays holding Ls like yamcha. The guards. Rey had to save his life. As a villian Kylo lacks menace.
Breh the difference is Luke went to go die. He says so and then does so. Yoda and obiwan didn't give up, they had a plan. A shytty plan but a plan nonetheless. They were gonna train Anakin's kids to do what they could not.
"You can sell the audience on Luke having a moment of weakness sure. What you can't do is say the man failed and said fukk it and went to go die. It lacks context when people had previously seen Luke constantly attempting things he was told was impossible. You have to SHOW his fall/change of mindset in a more defining way. Don't tell the audience show them. Have them fall with him."

@Eddy Gordo that was a young and wild luke. luke is wiser and was a teacher of the force. the same thing happened with obi wan and yoda.
See above.
i love the OG characters but you dudes need to move on from them.
Also Kylo is only interesting because the wrote everyone besides him and luke dumbass arcs.

Eddy Gordo

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I mean, yeah, it would be cool to see the rise of the First Order and Luke's growing disillusionment with the Jedi and his waning hope...but its been 30 years. That ship sailed. I don't need a detailed history lesson to understand that even leaders can lose hope. Nothing about where he starts this new trilogy feels off to me. I'm sympathetic if you're disappointed in the choices, but calling them canonically blasphemous is a step beyond.

Besides, we got a mini-Rashomon story in a Star Wars movie. That's awesome.
And that's cool but I'm just explaining the split that people are seeing thematically. It's a movie deconstructing heroes in a franchise full of heroes. That's why people who are critical of the film keep saying it's not the specific actions in the film but how they are executed they don't like. It's a dose of realism they didn't want in this franchise.:yeshrug:

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
comments like this is what i don't get. you're not curious to see where kylo goes from here? what happens to the small resistance? the ghost of luke and relationship he will have with kylo? plus rey's future and those jedi books

Why should i care about Kylo?

I still don't even know why he's evil.

And no 'because Snoke' isn't an answer.

ELESDEE616

Nikkas snitch on the coli like they name is Kobe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kobe snitched on Shaq
I still think they will make at least a billion on this film. But I think they fukked the han solo movie and episode 9 over a little bit.
Yeah its still gonna be one of the highest grossing movies of alltime, but episode 9 is fukked.

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
What hood you from breh.
If you not at the movies premiere.
nikkaz is talking.
Sheit if the movie airs on a tv...talkin is always legal.
I don't care if that shyt is a new bootleg.

Art Barr
Some of these dudes either not black or have no black friends.

Who the fukk just stays quiet watching some shyt on Netflix, we ain't at the movie theatre.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
giphy.gif

No no no, Luke hid for the exact OPPOSITE reasons.

Yoda hid so that the Jedi order could survive. He was guiding Jedi as shown in REBELS and the OG. ObiWan wasn't hiding, he was PROTECTING Luke just in case the empire/Sith would ever find him.

They literally plan this out at the end of RotS, Bail and Mon Mothma mention their "Jedi assets" in Rogue One and we see Obi-Wan step up IMMEDIATELY WITHOUT HESITATION when Leia asks him to.

Don't compare them to Luke forsaking the Jedi, closing himself off from the force and wanting to die.

I agree that Kylo is the star of the show now, though. He's interesting to me and is the only thing redeeming this trilogy so far.

i don't watch rebels so i can't speak on that. when i'm talking about the star wars universe it's strictly the featured films just to be clear.

i know that obi wan and yoda was protecting luke, but the way they went out was similar to luke in TLJ which is what i'm trying to get across. they have that connection and a similar story arc. obi wan and yoda ended up sacrificing themselves which is what luke did at the end. they all went into hiding and realized they were insignificant to the bigger picture and they were past their time so it was their time to go. luke's story arc is similar to obi wan and yoda in that he failed, got humbled and was trying to atone for his failure by going into exile and saving the crew at the end. it just took him longer to accept his failure and help out.

this is what i took from luke's story arc; he was a good guy that believed he could save vader and the galaxy and he did. everything was all good and he was a hero until the jedi academy he started was going sour. luke contemplating to KILL his nephew goes against everything he fought and stands for and was his biggest moment of weakness. he learned from the conversation with yoda that you can learn from your weakness, helped rey and learned from her and had an epiphany.

i thought luke having an internal battle with his faith and beliefs was a great way to develop him. he's clearly heads and shoulders above everyone with a lightsaber so shake his faith up and have him questioning the jedi order. may sound corny but it's a great way to explore and challenge his character.