Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Official Thread)

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I liked the movie more than TFA and Rogue One. Seems people are mad that NONE of the theories they spent two years crafting came true. People complaining about not knowing Snoke's backstory, ummm it took 30 years for the Emporer's background to be explained and nobody had a problem with that.

Action was on point, cinematography was much better than the previous two movies, and most of the comedy was good. Only jokes that stood out as bad were in the opening with Poe and Hux and that water suit shyt with Finn. Also they clearly have no idea what they want to do with Finn, but at least in this movie he wasn't a bait and switch character. Cut about 20 minutes from this movie and it becomes great status.

I loved how they actually made those red troopers look competent. Someone on the Empire should show some level of fighting acumen other than the sith.
I'm mad that in a 2 hr and 30 min movie they gave me maybe 45 min of shyt I cared about surrounded by :trash: that I didn't.

I was questioning damn near every other scene.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean... which character did the handle properly in the last two movies? Chewie?

I don't understand this obsssion of killing off all the characters..

you might be right...chewie feels like the only character they've gotten right and stuck to the characterization in these movies so far...the only other one might be kylo...they've stuck to the same characterization for him....but finn, rey, luke, leia, even the lil orange lady, hell no.....

right there with me you...killing off a hyped up character to continue the story after we've gotten to know them, killing off a no name character, etc is one thing....but to hype up a character and then kill him/her off without any insight into said character makes no sense....

John Hull

You can’t see me!
Daps
Reppin
Studio gangstas
How did Codebreaker Benicio cut a deal with the First Order when he was a prisoner along with Finn and the pie faced asian chicc?

He was in no position to know the intel about the transports as that was a decision that was made by Hoddo and not even revealed to Poe until their mission to destroy the tracker had failed. :patrice:

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
Irrelevant to this story. This is not the Fall of the Republic story that takes place during the 30 year gap between episodes 6 and 7.

Just like I thought people want a trilogy that explains everything between 6 and now. This is not that story and if thats what you are looking for then it's best to bow out now.

So let's assume Episode IX takes place 5-10 years after TLJ. The first order is still on the hunt and a new supreme bad guy who's even stronger than Snoke has taken command. No explanation is given, we are merely led to assume he's always been there.

You would be perfectly fine with this approach?

Alpha Male

Spare me your daps
Daps
How did Codebreaker Benicio cut a deal with the First Order when he was a prisoner along with Finn and the pie faced asian chicc?

He was in no position to know the intel about the transports as that was a decision that was made by Hoddo and not even revealed to Poe until their mission to destroy the tracker had failed. :patrice:

Better yet wtf was he doing in that prison cell where they first met? Was the world's greatest pick-lock artist and codebreaker just playing pretend prisoner hoping that one day Finn and Rose would come along in need of his services?

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City

Poe knew that was the plan by that point, that's why he tried to mutiny. He then contacted Finn and told him to hurry up and he told them about Holdos plan as he knew his mutiny would fail (they were slicing through the door). Benicio overheard them (we see him listening) and by time he told the First Order they could track the transports and confirm

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
So let's assume Episode IX takes place 5-10 years after TLJ. The first order is still on the hunt and a new supreme bad guy who's even stronger than Snoke has taken command. No explanation is given, we are merely led to assume he's always been there.

You would be perfectly fine with this approach?
I think the point is Snoke was never important he was always just a device for Ren. Though I do understand his importance to the story they felt he was a side character in the grand scheme of things. :yeshrug: I'm not saying I agree with it I'm just saying that is how they felt to relay the story.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
See I disagree with that tho. It’s a detriment if you were told this is what’s going to happen and it doesn’t. The mythos is you can’t have just one sith. Where there’s one there is another. We had that. The mythos never said you have to explain where that Sith Lord got their powers from. That’s the decision of the storyteller and what fits for their story. And if the point of the trilogy so far, at least after this movie, is to break the past and move on, Snoke’s story is inconsequential. He’s a manipulator and the guy holding the puppet strings. Even with Palpatine, like you pointed out, it took 16 years to get his backstory.

And if the prequels never happened we may have never known outside of whatever books or comics were written about him. So even then, in that context of three movies from 77-83, that was the mythos and that was the tradition. Palpatine wasn’t important to that story at least not enough for Lucas and his writers and directors to give us more info on him in return of the Jedi. He spent most of the movie being evil and monologuing and being a dikk and then he wasn’t literally thrown in the bushes. That was it. And as far as anyone knew that ass all there was going to be.
It doesn't work because we had all those prequels and DISNEY is letting others expand the universe with Books and comics that are cannon . The OG trilogy is pretty self contained .
It only makes sense people would want questions answered in a satisfactory manner . Now there is a way to do what Rian Johnson did in terms of saying that the past doesn't matter the issue is the execution and how he was kind of a dikk to the fans who wanted answers . A big part of the appeal for his movie was people wantin answers. If your gonna do what Rian did your gonna need a stronger story than what I feel he delivered

Duke_Droese

All Star
Daps
It doesn't work because we had all those prequels and DISNEY is letting others expand the universe with Books and comics that are cannon . The OG trilogy is pretty self contained .
It only makes sense people would want questions answered in a satisfactory manner . Now there is a way to do what Rian Johnson did in terms of saying that the past doesn't matter the issue is the execution and how he was kind of a dikk to the fans who wanted answers . A big part of the appeal for his movie was people wantin answers. If your gonna do what Rian did your gonna need a stronger story than what I feel he delivered

I wonder if those lines about leaving the past were subliminal shots at the fans. The thing is though that 4-6 are the core of the story, 1-3 are its prequels and 7-9 are supposed to be its conclusion. You can't just throw everything in the bushes and expect fans to be okay with your cookie cutter generic sci-fi product.