Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Official Thread)

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
[
Come on that was retarded. :stopitslime:

If Yoda's ghost could do all that then why didn't he help Luke during his battle with Vader & The Emperor?

Could have used the help.
How could Yoda make lightning appear in a ship in the middle of space?
The planet Luke was on clearly had a connection to the force and the origins of the jedi

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Snoke resurrected the Empire, which means he had a vested interest in the Empire.

What was he doing this entire time.

Yeah which is something I personally don’t care about man. I get that it matters to you. Cool. But I also don’t think it’s a storytelling flaw. If the story is about Kylo Ren and his rise to power then it doesn’t really make a difference. And once again you knew the same stuff about the emperor before 99 and I don’t recall anyone complaining about it. Maybe they did but I was also 13 in 99 so what do I know.

Snoke wants the same thing most dictators want. To rule supreme and be in charge of everything and everyone. If the new order wants the same thing the empire wants then it stands to reason the guys in charge want it as well. Power and more of it. Which is all Palpatine wanted in the end. He didn’t have some grand scheme. He wanted power and to rule with an iron fist

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Snoke resurrected the Empire, which means he had a vested interest in the Empire.

What was he doing this entire time.

Irrelevant to this story. This is not the Fall of the Republic story that takes place during the 30 year gap between episodes 6 and 7.

Just like I thought people want a trilogy that explains everything between 6 and now. This is not that story and if thats what you are looking for then it's best to bow out now.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Irrelevant to this story. This is not the Fall of the Republic story that takes place during the 30 year gap between episodes 6 and 7.

Just like I thought people want a trilogy that explains everything between 6 and now. This is not that story and if thats what you are looking for then it's best to bow out now.

I feel like Lucas’ ideas may have been that story

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Not saying @Soymuscle Mike is the type but one of the worst things in fandom these days is the need to explain every damn thing and the need to have an explanation for every damn thing. It’s not a sci-fi movie but it’s the same with Halloween. Rob zombie and others have felt it was needed to explain Michael Myers. Explain his backstory give him more depth explain why the mask and why that specific mask and why does he kill etc. And none of it was needed lol. None of it. He’s a monster he’s the boogie man. I don’t need to know why the boogie man is out to get me I just need to know he’s out to get me. Explaining too much takes away mystique and sometimes makes the interesting less so

You drawing comparisons between Snoke and Kylo and Michael Myers actually explains why this thing doesn't work for me. If you're gonna have a boogie man, make him a boogie man. Not some emo whiny man baby who is too conflicted to go all the way. The conflict in Kylo never felt real to me, or at least, I just have no sympathy for this character. He throws a lot of tantrums and pouts and then goes dark after showing he isn't really able to defeat anyone. He's not scary at all. And then there's Snoke. He could have been a great boogie man but we heard a lot about him and then when he's finally revealed, he has 10 minutes of dialogue before getting defeated by something he should have felt coming. It was like all build up and no real scare to talk about.

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
Yeah there are moments like that that don’t stack up. It’s dope in the moment but lol why? Like why doesn’t Kylo notice something is off with Luke when he’s using a lightsaber that he and ray just destroyed :russ:

Doesn’t take away from the overall for me but it’s little details that feel looked over
Yeah that part had me :wtf:
Why would he not be using his own green light saber? Was that some error that nobody in the editing process noticed?

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
You're the second person to make it about race. This isn't about race, this is about gender.

Yes we all agree that the movie would have been terrible regardless if there were more male characters fighting for the resistance.

Imagine a sports movie where the cheerleaders for the Dallas Cowboys, coached by Bettie White, beat the actual Dallas Cowboys in a football game. Imagine the film played it completely straight without even the slightest hint of irony. It would take you completely out of the movie.

Yes Star Wars is a fantasy film and it's escapism, but fantasy is also informed by reality. The rebels in the OG films were mostly men. Not because there was an agenda against women, but because we associate armies with male bodies. That is reality.

When you see a battalion made up of 80% women, and the people in command are all women, and the only significant male resistance fighter is portrayed as a thoughtless hothead who needed to be taught the true value of leadership by a bunch of women... it is blatant pandering at the expense of reality and plausibility. Disney wants to send the message that girls can be leaders and soliders too, which is great, but lets be honest you are never going to see the day where that is the standard.

And it definitely isn't the standard now, which is why those scenes rang incredibly false for a lot of people.

Why is gender so important to you when it comes to making fantasy? Why are you willing to accept that a giant fish can command the rebel fleet. A GIANT FISH, but not a woman? That will NEVER be a standard, yet your beef is with the gender of the leaders. It's so telling.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You drawing comparisons between Snoke and Kylo and Michael Myers actually explains why this thing doesn't work for me. If you're gonna have a boogie man, make him a boogie man. Not some emo whiny man baby who is too conflicted to go all the way. The conflict in Kylo never felt real to me, or at least, I just have no sympathy for this character. He throws a lot of tantrums and pouts and then goes dark after showing he isn't really able to defeat anyone. He's not scary at all. And then there's Snoke. He could have been a great boogie man but we heard a lot about him and then when he's finally revealed, he has 10 minutes of dialogue before getting defeated by something he should have felt coming. It was like all build up and no real scare to talk about.

Thats fair. Cause I’ll admit Kylo doesn’t scare me as much as he makes me pity him. Now I do like his inner conflict and that’s interesting to me. But he’s not scary. He doesn’t instill fear lol. And I don’t think that’s the plan for him actually. I think what is scary about him though, is the fact of someone that impetuous and powerful being in control of so many men willing to “follow orders”

Star Wars has always been topical and what’s more topical than an emotionally immature man controlling an entire army and the most powerful organization in the world?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Yeah that part had me :wtf:
Why would he not be using his own green light saber? Was that some error that nobody in the editing process noticed?

I think it was fan service for real. Cause I definitely had a moment of “oh shyt Luke is using the blue lightsaber!” Which is something I’ve missed so yeah

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
And then there's Snoke. He could have been a great boogie man but we heard a lot about him and then when he's finally revealed, he has 10 minutes of dialogue before getting defeated by something he should have felt coming. It was like all build up and no real scare to talk about.

you could argue that w/ the emperor in RotJ...granted he did demonstrate some power during that final fight, but he was disposed of fairly easily, all things considered.